Author Topic: Wedding/Shower/Whatever Party Favors . . . Thoughts?  (Read 4790 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Wedding/Shower/Whatever Party Favors . . . Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 02:21:06 AM »
I don't care about nor do I need a favor.  My family didn't give out favors at weddings.  DH's large Italian-American family do and will talk bad about the bride's family if they go "cheap".  In Italy there are stores that specialize in wedding favors. 

My favorite wedding shower favor was the mini-panettone.  MIL was not impressed.

Worst was the glass birds glued onto a mirror.  It broke before I got it home. 

DH and I were married in Belgium so we simplified our lives by having neither side of the family present.  No favors were given out.

When DS2 married we lucked out by finding lovely boxed, ribboned, tea candles in DIL's favorite color at a very low price.  She was able to use any extras as home decor.  The reception theme was polar bears and penguins.  We decorated the tables with these:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/plush-realistic-arctic-animal-bean-bags-a2-4_2623-12-1.fltr?Ntt=penguin

Guests could take them and they provided entertainment for the children.  We gave the seals to the story time program as gifts for the students.  Okay, we also had a largish candy buffet.  I'm told the peach flavored penguin gummies were terrific.  DH adores Jordan Almonds, so they were a must.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 02:39:08 AM »
We had small 20-sided dice as wedding favours. We were gamers, met at a gaming convention and many of our friends are gamers. A few people were confused by them so DH explained their significance in his speech.

We had a giant one on the wedding cake along with Mickey and Minnie.

peaches

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 03:42:53 AM »
I hate them. I used to be neutral on the topic. But the more people have them, the more people will think they need to have them. KWIM? They add expense and work to an event, without adding much else. I feel that people putting on a shower or planning a wedding reception have enough to worry about.

menley

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 05:24:11 AM »
I'm firmly anti-favor, yet we had them at my wedding because my mother was horrified at the thought that a daughter of hers wouldn't give favors at her party! ::) At least she did them herself and they were really yummy homemade chocolates, so most people seemed to enjoy them.

My number one pet peeve is something engraved with the names of the couple and their wedding date. I've received wine glasses, picture frames, coasters, matchbooks, shot glasses, tote bags... you name it. And frankly, I have thrown them away or donated them to charity. I don't like picture frames with writing on them, and what am I going to do with a frame with other people's names on it other than put a picture of them in it? That might be fine if it was my sister or something, but do I really want a framed wedding picture of my husband's coworker? No. Same for the monogrammed wine glasses and coasters... I already have my matching sets of coasters and wine glasses that I prefer, that don't have names scrawled on them. The only non-food favors I've kept are matchbooks because my husband uses them to light candles.

HGolightly

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 09:26:11 AM »
In our family we have had homemade jams, playing cards and hot chocolate (with chocolate spoons and mini marshmallows). Useful, consumeable and not a forever thing. Friends had a Christmas wedding and gave out pink candy canes with a tag saying they made a donation in lieu of favours to our local breast cancer charity in honour of one of the moms.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »
When niece got married she and her DH had a great idea.  Our place 'cards' were also favors. 

Each table at the reception had a theme.  The table for Grandparents and Parents was 'Wisdom'.  The children's table was 'Giggles'.  Our table was 'Laughter'. 

The place markers were water-rounded stones from streams.  The name of the table was written on one side in gold ink and our names were written on the other. 

They're convenient paperweights and bring back the memory of a happy occasion. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 10:01:59 AM »
My least favorite favors are all the junk we were expected to bring home from incredibly over-the-top bar mitzvahs in my family. I admit to liking the caricature artists, or the photo to take home, but the blow-up guitars, goofy sunglasses, T-shirts in the wrong size with "JOE'S BAR MITZVAH" on them, the singing lobster centerpiece we were begged to take, the candy, the mardi gras beads, etc. ... just too much!

We gave all our guests from out of town "welcome bags" (homemade chocolate cookies, trail mix, candy, pretzels and bottled water with our personalized label on it, plus an itinerary and a map, and a city brochure). The bag was paper with a cute bow and matching label, and there was nothing to take home with you unless you wanted to eat some on the plane. We gave them out as people left our welcome dinner (Friday night, when most people were getting into town).

I have gotten very few favors I felt like were something I'd want to keep around. I like chocolate or something non-personalized, small, and useful, but I do not actually go to an event wanting a favor!

Some good, memorable ones: I made little wooden, painted boxes with decoupaged flowers on top and felt liners that family members are still using 18 years later for my one aunt's baby shower.

Another aunt's shower, we painted terra cotta flower pots with daisies, and used them as utensil/napkin holders on the placesettings. Those are still being used on back patios nationwide, 16 years later. :)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
One of my cousins had a Christmas wedding and the favors were Christmas ornaments--just a round ball, silver and gold, with their names and the date on it. For us that worked well and my parents put it on their tree every year along with our other ornaments.

I think part of the appeal of favors for organizers is that some of us like the idea of buying lots of little small things in a theme and putting them together in a bag. :D At one of my mom's jobs she always gave out "treat baskets" to her employees at the holidays and we always had so much fun going to different stores looking for small containers, choosing pens, candy, post-it notes, etc., then divvying them up and arranging them. Part of me kind of salivates at having an excuse to go to Oriental Trading Company and buy some large assortments of THINGS and sort them. :P I could have a lot of fun preparing for, say, an undersea-themed baby shower... maybe more fun than the guests would have receiving the favors, who knows! ;)

But if you don't get that kind of kick out of preparing the favors and/or don't want to spend money on that, I personally probably wouldn't even notice their absence. The little whisks and pens sound like a great idea to me--something meaningful to the couple, that they were excited about sharing--not just one more money-consuming thing to check off the list.
~Lynn2000

Betelnut

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »
Not necessary and definitely not expected.

But...if the favor is really nice, of course I like it!  FOOD is the best then something practical.

I have no problems with tossing something if it isn't practical and won't be used so any favor is okay since the most work I will need to do is walk toward the trashcan if I don't like it.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
We had bookmarks in the wedding colors, but looking back they were just another expense and not necessary.  I don't even know what happened to the extra ones ;).

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
I'm one of the few who likes favors, receiving and giving.  I don't need one, but like it if it happens to be there.

The best was a set of crystal dessert glasses.

The worst was a glass heart shaped paperweight.  It's actually cute and I would have used it, expect it had the HC's name and wedding date engraved on it.  I don't like things with distant relatives names on it.

Jocelyn

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 01:40:24 PM »
I'm not fond of them, especially if they leave me wondering 'what the heck will I do with this?'
I don't think I'd miss them if a HC didn't have them, but then, I well remember a time before everyone started giving them out.  ;D
The only ones I really liked were bookmarks made by the HC. They included the extras in thank-you notes.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
I hate them.  Even when they are well meant.  And I always feel like I must take them home or I will hurt the feelings of the hosts.  With edible ones, I usually eat them before dinner and it would have been better to just put a bowl out with them.  Or scattered the table with them. 

I think with weddings they are usually done because there is this checkbox that must be completed.  The question is asked, "What are you doing for wedding favors?"  Just like the officiant asks "What reading(s) would you like?"  The assumption is that there will be one, it is just a matter of figuring out which. 

With kid's parties I think the reason is to not appear cheap. 

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
I don't mind them, I don't think they're necessary but if they're there I'm not bothered by them. Even if it's not something I'll really use...goodwill always needs donations.

For our wedding we're thinking of doing scratch off lotto tickets for everyone. Hey, scratching is fun and you might win a lot (or nothing). Or we'll do something edible. I don't see much point and doing "Glitter and Partner forever!" with whatever our wedding date will be. We're also discussing a candy bar. We loved the idea of handing out mini-whiskey bottles (on our first date we realized we both are girls who love a whiskey), but when we thought of the people who don't drink, who are underage, who don't like whiskey, we decided it was too much work.

I will say most of them time when I plan a "something", there will be some little favor. Usually some candies, maybe a little trinket to take along with. I like giving them.

The worst I ever got was a beer cozy. Mostly because it was terribly made and began to disintegrate upon use (yes, I used it, everyone likes a cold beer). I loved what my BFF did, they had a Christmas themed wedding and put up a fake tree, hung red and green ornaments on it and invited everyone to come and take some home (they had a ton of ornaments compared to guests). They just say "Merry Christmas from the LastNames" and the year on them. Of course, she's my BFF, so I like remembering her wedding day. And putting a momentum up on the tree is nice.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 02:14:13 PM »
  I actually really like jordan almonds so I wish those would come back in style.   I didn't mind when there were embossed matchbooks at every wedding because there were so small even if you had 500 collected over the years it still wouldn't take up more space then a shoe box.

I dislike the engraved wine glasses and picture frames the most ...what am I really going to do with one whine glass with your name on it ?  Although if every single couple gave out wine glasses and I will still friends with them all 15 years later and they were all still married it might be cool to have a party ans use all the hodge podge of wedding wine glasses :) but since only like 2 people I know did the wine glass thing  it will be a really small party.   Lots of people did the little picture frames the un- engraved ones weren't that bad considering functioned as place holders too but not a single coordinated with my decor or the frames I already had.  I think I would have liked if a couple had combined the photo booth and engraved frames (of course that's assuming the photo booth printed photos the correct size for the frames)

The things I like the most are edible.

The things I keep the longest were things you could always use one more of  like a deck of playing cards , pens and for me personally fridge magnets (but if everyone did magnets I wouldn't keep them since I only have a few I have room for them)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 02:42:06 PM by shhh its me »