Author Topic: Wedding/Shower/Whatever Party Favors . . . Thoughts?  (Read 4797 times)

lilfox

Re: Wedding/Shower/Whatever Party Favors . . . Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »
I could take them or leave them - engraved things have the least use, food is almost always the best option.  My favorite favors have been the personalized mix CD and the handcrafted wooden pen.

We had favors at my wedding because my mom ordered them as a surprise.  Which was actually okay with me, just not something I would have thought of (or done) on my own.  Fortunately she stayed pretty simple - cocktail napkins in blue and white embossed with our initials (these were used during the cocktail hour) and white matchbooks also embossed with our initials.  And since it was in Hawaii, we gave out leis before the ceremony.

Ours was a destination wedding, and several others I went to were also destinations, so the "thing" was to create a welcome goody bag for each guest/couple/family, received when they checked in to their hotels, with some items that might be useful - suntan spray, guidebook to the area, water bottles, local snack or candy, themed playing cards, mini bottles of (local) liquors.  Hopefully our guests found them useful, and I really liked getting these at the other destination weddings.

workerbee

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »
I think favors should be consumable - little truffles or cookies, mints, etc. Candles are fine, although I wouldn't use them. I really loathe the non-consumable 'favors' engraved with the couples' name and wedding date.  You're not doing me any favors!  ;) I guess I'm just unsentimental, but I'm just not interested in having those glasses, frames, knick-knacks around my house, and it seems like a colossal waste of money.

The worst wedding favor was a friend of my husband's who gave out glass coaster sets with pictures of the happy couple. We just were not close enough that we would use those as part of our decor! At the same time, I felt terrible sending them to Goodwill -- if the couple shopped there, what would they think?!? And it would be such a waste to throw them away. Honestly, they're probably buried in a box somewhere in our house, for some future generation to dig out and wonder, "who ARE these people and why did Grandma and Grandpa workerbee have coasters with their pictures?"

Now that I think about it, there was a trend for a while of giving drink "coozies" with the couple's name and wedding date - I guess those could be an exception because we've managed touse them pretty regularly.  :P

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »
A really nice pen.  Even grumpy anti-favor me could get behind a nice pen. 

lowspark

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
Put me firmly in the camp of "no favors needed". I don't want them, and those I've ended up with, unless they are something consumable, pretty much end up in the trash. Consumable favors are fine, but really really not necessary.

I never give them out. In fact, I honestly don't even think I gave kid party favors for my sons' birthday parties when they were kids. It's just such a total waste of money and effort for something that almost no one cares about. And it seems to me that the very few who think, "oh cool! party favors" would actually get upset or even disappointed if there aren't any.

In my opinion, money that would have gone to favors is much better spent on the party itself. I love to host and go to some effort and expense when I do. I'd rather not sacrifice serving a nice wine, for example, so that I could send everyone home with a chocolate bar. Instead of thanking the guests (if that's the idea) with a favor, I'd rather thank them by hosting a great party with good food, drink and company. Because those things are what the party is about, not some trinket that has no meaning to the guests and that they will need to figure out what to do with later.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
While I don't think favors are necessary, I used to love those little tulle packages of Jordon almonds when I was a kid!  Another cute one was a candy bar with a custom wrapper.  But the best was half bottles of wine, labeled with a picture of the couple and their wedding date.  The groom's father owned a winery so they did those special bottles as favors.

audrey1962

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 04:02:44 PM »
Best: a miniature bottle of wine with the couple's name and the date on it

Everything else just falls under "can't remember," however, I do have a fondness for Jordan almonds as they are very traditional here.

Blondie

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
We are doing home brewed beer for ours (no one under 21 in attendance) I don't care if you drink it during or after the ceremony. Heck, I am HOPING a bunch of people don't want theirs, as the wedding party is more than happy to drink it at the after party  >:D (the groomsmen brew with us and my sisters are beer snobs too)
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

MrTango

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »
We did custom-printed fortune cookies.  I think that they were about $0.25 each.  We had two lines from our first-dance song and two lines from the readings we used at the weddings (so four "fortunes" that were randomly scattered around.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »
We are doing home brewed beer for ours (no one under 21 in attendance) I don't care if you drink it during or after the ceremony. Heck, I am HOPING a bunch of people don't want theirs, as the wedding party is more than happy to drink it at the after party  >:D (the groomsmen brew with us and my sisters are beer snobs too)

Our pint glasses went along with the homebrew we served at our wedding. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

LadyL

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 06:24:24 PM »
Don't care about them and aren't doing them for our wedding. We felt the money was better spent offering more options at the bar  >:D

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »
I will say for our budget, much as I like handing out favors, it didn't make the priority list and will be one of the first things cut if need be. Right now we're not thinking it'll cost too much to take care of, but it's not a must for us. Our musts are an amazing band (we have one we'd love and 2 that we'd like), great food, and plenty of booze.

flickan

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »
I think they're useless most of the time.  I wish matchbooks for weddings would come back into vogue because I do love to collect them when I can.  If we had done them for ours we would have done matchbooks in a hot minute.

The best I've ever gotten was a shotglass.

The worst was one of these: http://www.nicepricefavors.com/p-4203.htm

It still sits in it's packaging in a kitchen drawer for laughs.  We call it the "love knife".  I don't think the bride and groom thought this one through.  You throw a wedding with an open bar and then you offer a sharp weapon to all of your guests?  I can see that going south quickly in the wrong crowd.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »
Giving knives as gifts is also bad luck.

ebrochu

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
I too am in the favours, take em or leave them camp.

That being said, I did end up having favours for my wedding.

My guest list was so small (45 people) that I was able to splurge a bit on the gifts to others.

I had about 6 kids at the wedding, so each one got a basket of neat stuff (simple toys, colouring books and dolls, stuff like that.) made them feel important, but also they got to have fun while all the adults were busy. Plus they had a bowl in the middle of the table with about 120 coloured pencils they could use, then divide up after.

I made all my table decorations. rectangular vases, filled with assorted coloured stones and aquarium gravel, with 1 large pillar candle in the middle. 8 tables, each had 3. None left at the end of the night. (I had told people to take them if they wanted them)

Also made topiaries (dowling, plant pot, foam, foam ball, and those small fake roses) same number as the vases, none left at the end.

And then the actual favours for each person were small metal buckets, painted orange, with our names and wedding date written on in gold sharpie. Filled with popular candies (werthers, mints, chocolates) and 3 small unscented candles. Again, none left at the end of the night.

So, I guess that most of the stuff I did was useful in the end (the vases were very pretty, the topiaries were just cute, and who doesn't love candies and regualr candles? Plus, the bucket only had writing on the one side, so turn it around, and no one's the wiser.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 09:00:16 PM »
Giving knives as gifts is also bad luck.

Unless you're giving it to a chef, in which case it's a ticket to a good meal. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture