Author Topic: Wedding/Shower/Whatever Party Favors . . . Thoughts?  (Read 4309 times)

Desdemona

Re: Wedding/Shower/Whatever Party Favors . . . Thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
I've been to/heard about several weddings now where they rent a photo booth and fill it with fun props and costume things.  Your printed out pictures serve as a favor.  It's nice to get a nice picture of Dh and I all dressed up having fun and serves as a nice memory of the day.  Plus I can just stick it in a photo album.  Otherwise, something edible or nothing is the only favor I care to get.

My friend did that at her wedding and it was great. She actually also had frames for the photo booth pictures as favors and to show where everyone was seated. Unfortunately the staff at the reception cleared off all the tables for the end of the reception so I never actually got to use the frame since they took them all.

That was a favor I would have enjoyed because I have some fun photo booth pictures I would love to be able to display.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2013, 08:08:51 PM »
My niece was married in July. For favors, her mother (my KidSis) and the MOG each made up little 3 oz. jars of homemade jam in multiple flavors and covered the lids with a cloth circle which was tied with raffia. There was an oval of cardstock printed with "Spread the Love``, the HC`s names, and the wedding date glued to the front of each jar. Once empty, the oval sticker is removable, and the little jar is handy for holding beads, paperclips, all kinds of small things needing to be corralled.

ETA: there were a lot of favors left over, so my niece told me to help myself. I brought home jars of blackberry, cranberry, strawberry-rhubarb, and blueberry jam. Yummy!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:10:46 PM by AuntieA »
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

lowspark

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
I went to the wedding of the daughter of a very good friend this weekend. And I didn't even think about favors until I came to work this morning and started reading eHell. Suddenly I thought, "hmmm... were there favors? No, there weren't. Good!"

I didn't miss them at all. The wedding was lovely, there were wonderful appetizers and a delicious dinner and plenty of alcohol and a band and dancing, etc. It was a great party.

Favors were not missed. Certainly not by me, nor by anyone I was hanging around with. Money was better spent on the food, drink, etc. which we all enjoyed that night.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2013, 02:07:56 PM »
I hate them. I used to be neutral on the topic. But the more people have them, the more people will think they need to have them. KWIM? They add expense and work to an event, without adding much else. I feel that people putting on a shower or planning a wedding reception have enough to worry about.

I KWYM!

I think this often. The whole "welcome baskets in the hotel room" thing--once a couple of people have them, suddenly guests are expecting them, brides feel they have to have them, lots of people say "how can I make my better than theirs were?" and off we go!

My MIL's family (Yugoslavian--think "nearly Italian") will also expect favors--she was planning her anniversary party and I was suggesting candy or maybe even nothing, and she said, "I can't invite them to a party and give them a cheap favor!"

peaches

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2013, 08:26:53 PM »
I hate them. I used to be neutral on the topic. But the more people have them, the more people will think they need to have them. KWIM? They add expense and work to an event, without adding much else. I feel that people putting on a shower or planning a wedding reception have enough to worry about.

I KWYM!

I think this often. The whole "welcome baskets in the hotel room" thing--once a couple of people have them, suddenly guests are expecting them, brides feel they have to have them, lots of people say "how can I make my better than theirs were?" and off we go!

My MIL's family (Yugoslavian--think "nearly Italian") will also expect favors--she was planning her anniversary party and I was suggesting candy or maybe even nothing, and she said, "I can't invite them to a party and give them a cheap favor!"

After I wrote my response, I felt that I'd expressed my feelings too strongly, especially after so many people related the clever favors they had come up with. I don't mean to disparage the effort people put into these things.

What I hate is when brides think favors are required.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:34:03 PM by peaches »

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
Yes, some of the favors people have talked about here have been very clever, and personal to them, and the result of a great deal of thought to make the event reflect their personalities and values. And I think that's awesome, and that the HC/GOH should have fun with them, and feel like they add to the overall atmosphere of the event.

But if it's just like, one more thing to cross off the list--that doesn't seem like much fun to me. So many things about these events are not really required--flowers, chair bows, centerpieces, six forks at each setting, etc.--but people get stressed about them and feel like they must have them, even if they couldn't possibly care less otherwise and don't have much room in their budgets. If you can't think of a cool, "you" favor and you'd rather spend the money on something else, I say go for it. If you can't think of a cool favor but someone else (like a MIL) really wants/expects them and you've got room for it in your budget, I vote for a quality consumable. :)
~Lynn2000

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2013, 12:28:36 PM »
I gave out a box of lindt chocolates that were tied shut with a ribbon with our names and the date. Most guests took it home and I was very happy to take home the leftovers.

I do like the favors, but don't miss them if they are gone. Although I really dislike the "I gave your gift to charity instead" thing. Luckily I haven't been faced with that yet.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »
I don't mind them, I don't think they're necessary but if they're there I'm not bothered by them. Even if it's not something I'll really use...goodwill always needs donations.

For our wedding we're thinking of doing scratch off lotto tickets for everyone. Hey, scratching is fun and you might win a lot (or nothing).  We're also discussing a candy bar.  I will say most of them time when I plan a "something", there will be some little favor. Usually some candies, maybe a little trinket to take along with. I like giving them.

My friends did this, and it was one of the best favors I've ever gotten. you got it, scratched it, and if you won great, if not, you could chuck it. Another favor was a small box with 2 chocoaltes in it, and a sticker with the HC names and date on top. CHocoalte got eaten and box tossed.

Other than that, I could care less about favors. I went to a whole slew of weddings in the late 80's/early 90's as all my friends tied the knot, and came away with so many matchbooks, and other carp that I simply kept, collecting dust until I chucked them.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
For our wedding we're thinking of doing scratch off lotto tickets for everyone. Hey, scratching is fun and you might win a lot (or nothing).  We're also discussing a candy bar.  I will say most of them time when I plan a "something", there will be some little favor. Usually some candies, maybe a little trinket to take along with. I like giving them.

My friends did this, and it was one of the best favors I've ever gotten. you got it, scratched it, and if you won great, if not, you could chuck it. Another favor was a small box with 2 chocoaltes in it, and a sticker with the HC names and date on top. CHocoalte got eaten and box tossed.

Plus there's the whole "did you win? Oh, look, I -almost- won!" "George got $5!" conversations that go on at the table when everybody's scratching theirs off.