Author Topic: Teacher to Teacher Assistance: Intern Needs Help! Music and Reading  (Read 480 times)

kittyhugger35

• Cat wrangler and professional bunny hugger. -I love soft things!
Dear Teachers

I am an intern at a school (I have my BA not my Masters in Music Ed). My interning school wants to use me as a reading teacher to elementary school kids but I would like to add music to this.

(For elementary school -I usually work with kindergarten through 2nd grade.) I may be allowed to expand if I am successful to grades 3-5.)
Please give me song suggestions and if there are songs that will work especially well for Spanish speaking kids who don't speak English that would be great.

Songs that teach Sight Words.
Song that use Spanish to help me teach English.
Songs that explain important vocabulary words.

I would love to teach proper singing using this stuff so I'd like a mixture of cutesy, tongue twister and more "artistic" music that can help our kids learn.

-Thanks.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Teacher to Teacher Assistance: Intern Needs Help! Music and Reading
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
A lot of it depends on what words you're trying to teach, and also on whether you're looking for sing-along recordings or whether you're going a cappella.  You can find children's books of most public domain songs and nursery rhymes, which does make it easier  :)  I would start with things like "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" or the Hokey Pokey for body parts, "The Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly" for animal names, etc.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:28:19 AM »
A quite successful Spanish/English program for children up to the age of 12 is 'Juguemos a Cantar'.

Their website is

juguemos.org

You could probably get some helpful information there. 

Firecat

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 10:39:13 AM »
The Hokey Pokey could be a good choice, because not only does it help them learn body parts, but the kids can burn off some energy, too.

Maybe anything that tells a story, or uses gestures, or both...songs that use gestures will help the kids that are kinetic learners, and it's a good way to engage the class in general.

cwm

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
My sister works in an autism classroom and they use a lot of music to teach children language skills. Lori Berkner is amazing in that regard, the songs are fun and catchy, and easy to understand. They're aimed at the younger kids, so it might not work if you do scale up to grades 3-5.

I'll ask her what else they use and let you know, if you'd like. I realize it's not exactly the same situation, but it might be the same level of language learning they need.

bopper

• Super Hero!