Author Topic: Making popsicles for a larger group - any suggestions?  (Read 512 times)

NyaChan

Making popsicles for a larger group - any suggestions?
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
We are having a party for about 30 people and would like to serve kulfi.  We are having some trouble figuring out the logistics of making and serving that to so many people.  I have a 2 qt. ice cream maker but no proper ice cream containers or molds- we've just been using tupperware.  I am open to buying containers and/or molds (in fact, I am kind of excited about having better equipment) but I'm not really sure if what we are proposing is practical in terms of making, storing, and serving this to a larger group. 

Do any ehellions have experience with serving frozen treats at a party?  Any suggestions on how to pull it off or is this going to be more trouble than its worth?

P.S. - if anyone has a kid friendly mac n' cheese recipe that won't dry out as mine are wont to do, I wouldn't say no to that either  ;D 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: Making popsicles for a larger group - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »
Can you make batches of it and buy popsicle molds?  The popsicle molds often come in a 6 pack so you would just need maybe 6?  And store them in your freezer as is.   Then upon serving, I would take the tray and let people "pull" out their popsicle.

I would double up on the sauce for the mac and cheese. 

A simple one I do is basically this recipe, again double the sauce but leave the pasta the same. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stove-top-mac-n-cheese-recipe/index.html

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »
For the kids, I used dixie cups as molds for our popsicles (frozen kool-aid ;)) with regular popsicle sticks.

Pour your ingredients into the cups. Cover the cup with a square of aluminum foil, put a small slit in the foil (using a sharp pointy knife) and insert the stick through the hole (this keeps the stick straight.)

When serving, the cup should easily peel away or quickly dip the popsicle in some hot water and it should pop out.

Sounds like a fun party! ;D

amylouky

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »
Plastic test tubes, like they use to make shooters, with a skewer for a handle?

Carotte

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »
Go here : http://www.tested.com/food/456931-best-popsicle-molds-awesome-ice-pops/ for a great roundup on popsicles mold and stuff.
I think they adress different situations ( a few vs. big batch for guests...)