Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Minneapolis/St. Paul/Eagan area? Update #19  (Read 1230 times)

NyaChan

I'm helping a close friend who is in a position where she needs to move suddenly to MN for work and personal reasons.  She's going through a really hard time and I know her family will be no help at all.  I feel bad that though I've lived in a neighboring states for extended periods of time, I have almost no information on that area.

Do any MN ehellions know what a good - as in safe - neighborhood would be?  She's going to be living alone.  We've found listings in Inver Grove Heights, Rosemount, Eagan, Burnsville, and Apple Valley ( though this area seems too expensive so far).  Any red flags popping up?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:46:45 AM by NyaChan »

MummySweet

Re: Anyone familiar with Minneapolis/St. Paul/Eagan area?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
I lived my first 35 years in the Twin Cities (I've been gone for 10, but my family is there and I visit often.) The cities have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ring suburbs.  There are a lot of safe areas, but rental housing is tight and priced a bit higher than many other cities.  Feel free to PM me.  If you friend can be more specific to the area where she will be working it would be helpful in recommending the areas that will offer a reasonable commute.

I love my hometown.  I don't miss the snow, but I miss everything else!!!

Oh Joy

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:06:30 PM »
Lived here almost 40 years (and love it)...would be glad to help.

Geographically where will she be working, and does she have a car?

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:07:42 PM »
I live in Eagan, so might be able to be of some help.  Feel free to PM me as well for info!  Overall, Burnsville, Eagan and Inver Grove Heights are pretty safe cities.  It's more a matter of how close you want to be to certain areas, or to public transportation, etc. 

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 06:11:48 PM »
Lived here almost 40 years (and love it)...would be glad to help.

Geographically where will she be working, and does she have a car?

She is working in Eagan and will have a car, so public transportation is not necessary.  I was advising her to stay within a 20-30 minute drive of Eagan because of weather/her not being used to long commutes.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
If she wants to avoid a long commute, she'll want to look at where her workplace is and choose an area to live in where she can avoid I-494!  Other highways in the area, like 77 or I-35E can also be backed up by quite a bit, but I-494 always seems to be going through some phase of construction and the backups always seem to be longer somehow.  Maybe that's just because I hate that highway?  :P 

What is she looking for in terms of living space?  Does she want an apartment, or is she planning on buying a house?  Does she have pets? 

NyaChan

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
She is looking for a 1 bedroom apartment or a studio in a pinch and does not have pets.  Thanks for the 494 tip! 

deadbody

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 07:14:18 PM »
I would try to stay in Eagan, burnsville has some pretty sketchy areas.  Inver Grove is nice in  most parts, but depending on where she is working could have her pretty far away.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »
She might also considering living in SW Minneapolis, on the border with Edina.  In particular, look near France Avenue between 44th and 50th.  Advantages are walking distance to shopping (including grocery, an excellent wine store, restaurants, etc.) and fantastic public transportation on one of the 35 buses.  If she is working downtown, those express buses are inexpensive, easy to use and very safe. 

Because M-SP is one of the most sprawling metropolitan areas in the US, the traffic can be nightmarish.  So while she will have a car, that doesn't necessarily mean that commuting by car is easy or happy.  In fact, it's pretty clogged.

If she enjoys city living, she might also consider the Uptown neighborhood, although it tends to be expensive.

The Twin Cities gave me the greatest years of happiness I have known, prior to meeting and marrying Mr. Charlie Braun.  If I could convince him to brave the cold and snow, I'd be back there in a heartbeat.
"We ate the pies."

deadbody

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »
She might also considering living in SW Minneapolis, on the border with Edina.  In particular, look near France Avenue between 44th and 50th.  Advantages are walking distance to shopping (including grocery, an excellent wine store, restaurants, etc.) and fantastic public transportation on one of the 35 buses.  If she is working downtown, those express buses are inexpensive, easy to use and very safe. 

Because M-SP is one of the most sprawling metropolitan areas in the US, the traffic can be nightmarish.  So while she will have a car, that doesn't necessarily mean that commuting by car is easy or happy.  In fact, it's pretty clogged.

If she enjoys city living, she might also consider the Uptown neighborhood, although it tends to be expensive.

The Twin Cities gave me the greatest years of happiness I have known, prior to meeting and marrying Mr. Charlie Braun.  If I could convince him to brave the cold and snow, I'd be back there in a heartbeat.

But all of those areas would be a hellish commute to Eagan where OP stated she is working.

One thing I would reccomend is signing a 1 year lease at max (maybe even go with a shorter term to test it out if the landlord is kosher, lots easier to fill a rental in the summer) then she can feel out neighborhoods and drives and see where she wants to be.  I almost moved to Denver this summer and that was my plan.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »

But all of those areas would be a hellish commute to Eagan where OP stated she is working.

One thing I would reccomend is signing a 1 year lease at max (maybe even go with a shorter term to test it out if the landlord is kosher, lots easier to fill a rental in the summer) then she can feel out neighborhoods and drives and see where she wants to be.  I almost moved to Denver this summer and that was my plan.

Ah - for some reason, I missed the part of working in Eagan.
"We ate the pies."

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »

I don't think this will work if she works in Eagan.  The traffic on 494 is horrific now, especially with construction.  If she was working in Edina or Bloomington or Richfield, great suggestion. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »
I would recco Apple Valley or Eagan for proximity.  I find Inver Grove very spread out and depending on the location of her job, IGH can be far and sketchy.  I agree about Burnsville having sketchy areas, there are some nice areas around the town center that have nice rentals.

There are also sketchy areas of Eagan.  While it is a generally nice area, every area has that part that one shouldn't or wouldn't want to live.

I live in Rosemount and it is 15 minutes away from Eagan.  There are decent rentals here, but I would stay out of the rentals on Shannon Pkway just off Dodd.  They are townhouse looking homes. 

When I was in the process of moving to MN, I was always warned about the commute and traffic.  I went against my realtor b/c she though we were moving too far from my husband's work.  Turns out, most of his office lives near us.  The commutes really aren't that bad unless it is during a rain or snow storm or accident. 

I would avoid I35 and 494 routes... both are horrendous.. Cedar (77) isn't really that bad compared to the two interstates.  Eagan, Apple Valley, Rosemount and parts of Burnsville are good choices.  I have never cared for Inver Grove Heights or Mendota.  I don't know why. I think there are just some nicer areas available. 

deadbody

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »
I would recco Apple Valley or Eagan for proximity.  I find Inver Grove very spread out and depending on the location of her job, IGH can be far and sketchy.  I agree about Burnsville having sketchy areas, there are some nice areas around the town center that have nice rentals.

There are also sketchy areas of Eagan.  While it is a generally nice area, every area has that part that one shouldn't or wouldn't want to live.

I live in Rosemount and it is 15 minutes away from Eagan.  There are decent rentals here, but I would stay out of the rentals on Shannon Pkway just off Dodd.  They are townhouse looking homes. 

When I was in the process of moving to MN, I was always warned about the commute and traffic.  I went against my realtor b/c she though we were moving too far from my husband's work.  Turns out, most of his office lives near us.  The commutes really aren't that bad unless it is during a rain or snow storm or accident. 

I would avoid I35 and 494 routes... both are horrendous.. Cedar (77) isn't really that bad compared to the two interstates.  Eagan, Apple Valley, Rosemount and parts of Burnsville are good choices.  I have never cared for Inver Grove Heights or Mendota.  I don't know why. I think there are just some nicer areas available.

I don't shop rentals enough to know but I think IGH and Mendota are overpriced for homes.  But they would put OP close to eagan, and if the rental prices are good they aren't in a bad area.

Rosemount is good, but it is getting her farther from Eagan depending on where she goes (cause it is also pretty sprawling).

I think she needs to start perusing the renters warehouse or similar sites, and find some areas to look at and maybe have us help narrow it down (cause we are helpful:)

mime

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »
I've been 40 years in different locations in the Twin Cities (currently Woodbury). I second the "avoid-494" comment; I hate when I have to travel that in rush hour!

I see your friend is looking at areas that don't involve crossing the MN River to get to work. I don't know if that was deliberate, but that's a good choice. At one time I had to cross that river every day and learned that there are limited options for crossing the river, and if one path is backed up with accident or construction, your alternate options are limited.

When DH and I were house-hunting, we found some nice places in Eagan for slightly lower $$ because it was closer to the airport and being in the flying lanes (I think that's what they were called) made it a noisier place. I thought 'cool-- pay less money for my house!' DH thought 'ugh. I don't want that noise.' I don't know if rental prices would reflect that as well, but there's a trade-off worth considering.