Author Topic: Toilet and cleaning after yourself  (Read 5754 times)

Bashful

Toilet and cleaning after yourself
« on: October 19, 2013, 09:55:14 AM »
In the work board there is a thread about toilet habits in workplace and it came out that the toilet habits may vary a lot. Well, at least I was surprised :)
Specifically, some people think it is OK to leave skidmarks into the bowl while others believe that scrubbing the bowl is just part of the toilet use.
I live in South Europe and here the consensus is that you scrub away your own skidmarks and it is not some kind of household chore (like cleaning the toilet with sanitizer or mopping the floor). Since toilets are low flow, if you don't brush the toilet it will likely stay dirty and flushing isn't enough. In private houses there are always toilet scrubs, although in public/restaurant toilets sometimes there aren't.
We have also a small device that allows to calibrate your flush: small flush for #1 and big flush for #2.
So, E-hellions from all over the world, where are you from and what are your toilet habits?
If someone is grossed out I apologize, I'm just very curious.

menley

Re: Toilet and cleaning after yourself
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 11:16:47 AM »
I'm originally from Texas, and I've never cleaned up after myself in a public restroom (other than the obvious flushing and making sure the seat is clean afterwards). Public restrooms also generally don't have toilet brushes handy, so there wouldn't be any way to clean up afterwards.

If I was in a friend's home, and there was a toilet brush available, I'd use it if necessary but haven't had that situation happen yet  ;D

I live in central/Eastern Europe now and we have the same style toilets the OP described, with 2 types of flushes. I've never experienced a problem with those. I also haven't noticed toilet brushes in any public restrooms, but all homes seem to have the brushes mounted to the wall.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
I've never been in a public/work restroom that had a toilet brush available so no, I've never cleaned any skid marks.  I have cleaned them in friends' homes, even if I had to ask for a brush.

I hate the design of some of the low flow toilets.  They seem to encourage skid marks because of the shape of the bowl and the water level.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:15:26 PM »
Toilet brushes are not generally availabe. Cleaning products are likely locked up somewhere.

As far as low flow toilets, it seems like some of them requie two ot three flushes, thus negating water savings.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »
At home, I'm the toilet bowl cleaner.

At work in the school food service area, we all have access to cleaning supplies to take care of our own skid marks.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 01:20:08 PM »
i live in israel.

In private homes, most people keep the brush (and often a bottle of cleaner) next to the toilet. Most bathrooms here also have that dual flush option (I actually think it is a law here but I could be wrong). I have used a brush in someone else's home on occasion when needed. If others leave skid marks in *my* home toilet, i would just clean it (I clean the toilet after i have guests anyway).

In offices/public restrooms - i have rarely seen a brush or cleaner and i have never thought it is an expectation that the user will clean up after themselves. (I wish that people would actually FLUSH the toilet but I guess that is a whole different thread...) The thread that the OP mentioned was an eye opener to me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cwm

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
In public, in the US where I've lived and traveled, I've never seen cleaning supplies. I think part of that is it's the company's job to keep the toilets clean. Whether or not they do a decent job of it is beside the point.

At the houses I've been to, often the cleaning supplies are hidden under the sink or in some other not obvious place. And I'm not about to go digging around someone's bathroom to clean up after myself, nor am I willing to walk out and ask the homeowner where their toilet cleaning supplies are. If I make a mess, I'll try to clean it up by repeat flushing, and I've only ever once had that fail.

I have seen the dual option flushing toilet before, at a friend's house. It's really neat and I'd love to see it implemented more, but most people that I know have never heard of it.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
I have to say, If I've left a mess, I wipe it up with a bit of loo roll. I'm about to wash my hands anyway, and I've just used my hands+loo paper to wipe excrement from somewhere else, so I don't think that wiping it off a toilet bowl is really any dirtier (especially since my actual hand hopefully never touches anything bad anyway).

Leaving a skiddy toilet is gross and disrespectful to the person who has to clean it, especially when you consider the wages that most cleaners get. Minimum wage is not enough to deal with a stranger's poo, IMO.

cwm

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »
I have to say, If I've left a mess, I wipe it up with a bit of loo roll. I'm about to wash my hands anyway, and I've just used my hands+loo paper to wipe excrement from somewhere else, so I don't think that wiping it off a toilet bowl is really any dirtier (especially since my actual hand hopefully never touches anything bad anyway).

Leaving a skiddy toilet is gross and disrespectful to the person who has to clean it, especially when you consider the wages that most cleaners get. Minimum wage is not enough to deal with a stranger's poo, IMO.

TMI ahead, but it seems that this thread is probably full of it. Usually when I leave anything behind, it's below the water level, in which case I'm not going to stick my hand down there. Yes, I realize it's clean water and yes, I realize I'm going to wash my hands anyway, but I'd rather not drip my way out to the sink.

I've been the person who cleans the toilets before. One of my jobs in college, I was regularly the only female available to clean the restrooms. The only other one actually had a medical reason she couldn't. I know how disgusting it is to clean that all up, and from what I've heard trading stories with co-workers, the men's was so much worse. But minimum wage or not, it's part of the job. I'm not saying it's okay to leave a huge mess, but if there's a bit of a mark in the bowl, I wouldn't consider that necessarily disrespectful to the person having to clean it. Messes happen, it's a part of life.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
I have never seen a brush in a public toilet, except maybe a very nasty gas-station where it was obviously never used anyway.

If there is a mark, I will usually flush twice.  I wouldn't stick my hand in the bowl.

I think looking into public toilets is like eavesdropping on people - you're not going to see (hear) anything good.
                www.ellenseltz.com

katycoo

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »
Most public toilets do not have brushes in Australia.  My workplace ones don't, or at least not all of them do.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »
I'm from the US and there are never cleaning supplies in public toilets.  Work environments are either cleaned by a janitorial staff after-hours (when I've worked in office settings) or cleaned by the staff that uses them.  Generally the janitorial staff is much better about keeping things clean as many people refuse to clean the bowl even if it's their turn. 

At someone's home, most people I know try to refrain from going #2 if possible, and being discreet if it's not possible.  It isn't discussed but seems to be some kind of unspoken rule that you should only poop at home. 

Pen^2

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »
In Australia, I've never seen a public toilet with a toilet brush or cleaning supplies that are accessible nearby. So although one should always leave anything that they don't own in as near to it's original condition as possible after using it, this isn't always possible with a public toilet. I'll always use toilet paper to make it clean enough for the next person to be able to use (using a big wad to mop up anything on the toilet seat or floor, for instance), but I'm not cleaning inside the bowl beyond flushing it an extra time, because it's not hygienically possible to do so with just toilet paper on hand.

That said, I've been in more public toilets than I care to count where other people have not been of this mindset. "Woops! I urinated all over the floor and wall, creating a huge moat around the loo! Oh well!" and every subsequent sod has to wade through it. Revolting. Combine this with the fact that many are only cleaned once a week, and it's horrendous.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »
At someone's home, most people I know try to refrain from going #2 if possible, and being discreet if it's not possible.  It isn't discussed but seems to be some kind of unspoken rule that you should only poop at home.

???????? I understand not making noise or mentioning it in conversation, and freshening the air if needed, but I'm not even sure how this is biologically possible without making yourself ill.

I don't think this is a mainstream expectation outside of your circle. 
                www.ellenseltz.com

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
It's not a common expectation in the circles I run in, either.

Vita brevis, ars longa