Author Topic: Toilet and cleaning after yourself  (Read 4991 times)

Pen^2

Re: Toilet and cleaning after yourself
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »
At someone's home, most people I know try to refrain from going #2 if possible, and being discreet if it's not possible.  It isn't discussed but seems to be some kind of unspoken rule that you should only poop at home.

???????? I understand not making noise or mentioning it in conversation, and freshening the air if needed, but I'm not even sure how this is biologically possible without making yourself ill.

I don't think this is a mainstream expectation outside of your circle.

Yeah, if this was a rule I tried to live by, then I'd never be able to leave the house. For me, at least, it isn't biologically possible. I don't think this is a standard rule.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »
At someone's home, most people I know try to refrain from going #2 if possible, and being discreet if it's not possible.  It isn't discussed but seems to be some kind of unspoken rule that you should only poop at home.

???????? I understand not making noise or mentioning it in conversation, and freshening the air if needed, but I'm not even sure how this is biologically possible without making yourself ill.

It's a completely unrealistic expectation, imo. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

cwm

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »

Yeah, if this was a rule I tried to live by, then I'd never be able to leave the house. For me, at least, it isn't biologically possible. I don't think this is a standard rule.

Sis has an honest phobia of going poo in a public place. Or even in the comfort of her own home, if someone else is there. She's never made herself ill, and has generally avoided the situation.

I don't think it's a standard rule, but my point is that it can be done. She's been like this most of her adult life and only had emergencies maybe three or four times.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 02:59:13 PM »
I don't think it is an expectation you have of others but more one has for themselves. They just aren't.comfortable relaxing that much anywhere but at home.

Pen^2

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
I don't think it is an expectation you have of others but more one has for themselves. They just aren't.comfortable relaxing that much anywhere but at home.

Yeah--a lot more people than you might expect can't use the restroom for either bodily function away from their home and maybe one or two other comfortable places. It's surprisingly common. In the UK, it's accepted as a reason not to do jury duty. It's not a refusal thing: some people just can't 'go' in a lot of places. I don't envy people who have this. It doesn't sound fun at all.

EllenS

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »

Yeah--a lot more people than you might expect can't use the restroom for either bodily function away from their home and maybe one or two other comfortable places. It's surprisingly common. In the UK, it's accepted as a reason not to do jury duty. It's not a refusal thing: some people just can't 'go' in a lot of places. I don't envy people who have this. It doesn't sound fun at all.

That is a serious disruption to someone's life, and I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with that.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »
Actually, I think people tend to fall into a schedule (think the term "daily constitutional") and so it is not a problem for their daily lives. Bashful bladder is more problematic.

There is an episode of Big Bang Theory that includes a flashback of Sheldon interviewing Leonard as a potential roommate and asking about his daily schedule.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
Actually, I think people tend to fall into a schedule (think the term "daily constitutional") and so it is not a problem for their daily lives. Bashful bladder is more problematic.

There is an episode of Big Bang Theory that includes a flashback of Sheldon interviewing Leonard as a potential roommate and asking about his daily schedule.

I always thought the "daily constitutional" meant a walk, but I do think it's not unusual to get into a schedule for that too.

nuit93

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »

I've known people who will do everything possible to avoid a #2 at work.  I don't know why...it's what bathrooms were designed for!

Optimoose Prime

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 11:54:18 PM »
Ok, TMI all the way here:

I have intermittent diarrhea.  When it comes upon me, I have to go and go right now.  I can hold it off for a little while but not for very long.  So much that one time I had to stop on the way home and use the public restroom in the library.  For those that can hold it, more power to you.  I am not that person.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »

Yeah--a lot more people than you might expect can't use the restroom for either bodily function away from their home and maybe one or two other comfortable places. It's surprisingly common. In the UK, it's accepted as a reason not to do ju

ry duty. It's not a refusal thing: some people just can't 'go' in a lot of places. I don't envy people who have this. It doesn't sound fun at all.

That is a serious disruption to someone's life, and I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with that.

I unfortunately have this phobia and it can be excruciatingly painful and embarrassing.  I can only go #2 at work unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary and then only if no one else is in the bathroom.  It's not a hygiene thing, for me it's the embarrassment attached to the act.  :/

EMuir

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »

I've known people who will do everything possible to avoid a #2 at work.  I don't know why...it's what bathrooms were designed for!

I wondered too, until the women on the same floor as me (different department completely) complained to my manager that they thought I was spending too much time in the bathroom.  I wasn't spending that long, but longer than it took to just pee.  My manager did talk to me in so far as he rolled his eyes and told me he informed their manager that perhaps they needed to be kept busier if they had time to monitor his staff.   I believe that the real issue was that they objected to me going #2 at work.  I never did smell any evidence of anyone else doing that in that bathroom... until a new lady was hired in their department who obviously didn't know this unwritten rule and would go #2 as well.  I thought of her as my "poop solidarity sister" LOL.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »
Public restrooms in the US don't typically have brushes and cleanser handy.  I dearly wish that Starbucks would have a sign reminding people to flush, though.  It's one thing to refrain from flushing at home after #1, but this practice doesn't fly in public places used by others.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
I was recently in a public restroom where there was a sign explaining you had to hold the lever down instead of just pushing and releasing in order to get a complete flush. I can see somebody using those toilets and not realizing their flush didn't "take". I think there are also some pele so used to automated public toilets they don't pick up on those that don't self-flush.

cwm

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 02:39:16 PM »
I was recently in a public restroom where there was a sign explaining you had to hold the lever down instead of just pushing and releasing in order to get a complete flush. I can see somebody using those toilets and not realizing their flush didn't "take". I think there are also some pele so used to automated public toilets they don't pick up on those that don't self-flush.

I'm the opposite. Self-flushes don't always pick up on me for some reason, which makes me stand there and stare at the thing until I figure out where the manual flush button is hiding. Or it'll flush when I'm not quite done yet, and won't do it again after I'm done, cue the same stand and stare.