Author Topic: Herb and spice combos  (Read 552 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Herb and spice combos
« on: October 19, 2013, 03:17:13 PM »
I love using herb and spice combinations in cooking and food preparation.  I was wondering if you have any favorites you would care to share.
I recently made a combo for sauteing shredded cabbage and white beans and really liked it.
I don't know the amounts.  Whatever seemed right at the time is what I used.

Chipotle chili powder
Chili powder
salt free Curry powder
Dried thyme leaves
Marjoram powder
coriander seeds
powdered ginger
paprika
garlic powder
cayenne powder
Turmeric powder
whole cumin seeds
red pepper flakes
cardamom powder
a smidgen of powdered allspice

(yes, I have a very full spice shelf)

You could substitute fresh for garlic and ginger, but I didn't.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

flickan

Re: Herb and spice combos
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »
I'm a big fan of powder douce which is used for medieval style recipes.

You can find the proper recipe here: http://medievalcookery.com/recipes/douce.html

My version omits the sugar because I use it for poultry.  I make it with powdered ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and sometimes a little mace or marjoram.

I'm also a huge fan of Ras El Hanout, a Moroccan spice blend, which goes great with lamb, beef, poultry, and even just couscous with vegetables.  I buy it pre-made.

An official recipe I've seen calls for ginger, cardamon, mace, cinnamon, allspice, coriander, nutmeg, turmeric, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, anise, and cloves.  The kind I purchase also contains paprika and rose petals.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:38:24 PM by flickan »

that_one_girl

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »
the medieval Powder Fort is pretty good too!

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
One of my favorite combos is a mix of dried rosemary, dried lemon zest, a little pepper and sea salt.  Grind it up a bit with a mortar and pestle and spread it liberally all over fish or chicken, then bake.  Love the way it tastes!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 08:10:25 PM »
You guys are making me hungry for spicy, exotic and aromatic stuff!  Most of those are new to me, so I'm off to search the internet.  Thank you!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Amara

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:18:45 PM »
One of my favorite powders to use is from Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook is the "Powerful Vegetable Powder Broth." It's a combination of pulverized dried vegetables and is superb in soups and sauces:

1 teaspoon dried onion powder
1 teaspoon dried celery powder
1 teaspoon dried tomato powder
1 teaspoon dried spinach powder
1 teaspoon dried cornmeal
1 teaspoon dried bell pepper powder
1 teaspoon dried carrot powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon chopped dried garlic

Combine all the dried ingredients. You can add to boiling water to make broth or add it directly to soups or sauces.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 02:37:07 AM »
when i make soups (like last night) I often add a Yemenite spice mixture called Hawaij - i buy it already mixed, but it is basically cumin, black pepper, turmeric and cardamom or sometimes cloves or other spices. it is perfect in bean /lentil soups and there is a special yemenite soup that many jewish families eat on friday nights that has chicken and vegetables and they use that spice as well.

Otherwise, i tend to cook either mediterranean style (so lots of cumin, garlic, lemon, fresh herbs) or asian-fusion so garlic, chili, soy sauce, ginger.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools