Author Topic: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?  (Read 9717 times)

nutraxfornerves

Re: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
Many years ago, a street guy came up to me and cheerfully said "Hey, Big Momma! How 'bout you & me spend some of your spare change on a bottle of wine?"

A previous post of mine The Gimme Pig app

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
Adult diapers.

An apparently homeless woman approached me in a Walmart/Target/Kmart type store's parking lot wanting adult diapers. 

That is sad, not outrageous.

nuit93

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
I know a couple that seems to be constantly struggling financially and is almost always begging for something (with the promise that "we'll give back when we're back on our feet, we promise!"). 

Among the past requests:

-rent money so they don't get thrown out
-car repair/replacement so they can get to school
-tuition money for said school because they missed a financial aid deadline
-moving money so they can relocate

I haven't heard much from them recently.

amylouky

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 12:13:46 PM »
Adult diapers.

An apparently homeless woman approached me in a Walmart/Target/Kmart type store's parking lot wanting adult diapers. 

POD. I think I might have actually bought them for her, if I was able. I suppose she could have been planning to return them for cash, but still.. can't imagine needing those and not being able to afford them.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »
I think I told this before.  We passed a high school car wash for sports teams where the students hold up signs and yell at passing cars, which is normal.  The outrageous part is one girl screaming "I HAVE CANCER!!!!!!!" to passing motorists while her friends around her are laughing and having a good time.

heartmug

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 01:03:24 PM »
I think I told this before.  We passed a high school car wash for sports teams where the students hold up signs and yell at passing cars, which is normal.  The outrageous part is one girl screaming "I HAVE CANCER!!!!!!!" to passing motorists while her friends around her are laughing and having a good time.

Yikes!

A certain SIL asked me, my sister and her 2 sisters to throw her a baby  shower for baby #4.  But she just hhhhaaadddd to have one.  (She used the line "but all babies should be celebrated.")  When her sister bought a new house they combined it - so it ended up being come see "Mary's" house and meet "Ann's" new baby.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

cwm

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »
This comes with a bit of background. I'm finally on my feet, paying about 95% of my bills on my own at this point, though the past year has been really tough.

Years ago I had a box with over $1000 in costuming bits and bobs for a Ren Faire outfit. Everything got thrown out by my dad for a stupid reason.

Sis used to be well-off financially, but in the past few year has struggled. Mom pays her rent and helps with her bills. End BG.

I've been trying for years to find more costume pieces on the cheap for my Ren Faire costume. I'm trying to replace what I had, but I realize that it's going to take years at this point, as I have bills that come first. The other day I get a picture message from sis, showing off some sort of fur/leather legwear. She wants me to pick them up for her the next day when I'm at the Ren Faire because she can't afford them right now. Because she just spent nearly $200 on the rest of her outfit. Because, and these are her words, not mine, "I can't pay my bills anyway, so I've been saving up this fun money for an entire year to get my costume together."

I declined to purchase her costume piece. I did not mention that the $40 she wanted me to spend on her would actually pay two bills of mine.

veryfluffy

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
Not all missionaries dig wells or build schools. Some simply share their beliefs and hope to convince othets, even affluent well-educated cosmopolitan types of the validity of their beliefs.

Thanks for clarifying.  I actually honestly believed that missionary work was performed from the first world to third world or disaster areas.  This is why I like this site, you learn new things all the time.

I've had "missionaries" (nice young American boys) come knocking at the door -- I live in a rural area about 100 miles from London. I told them they would have more luck converting people in England if it didn't involve giving up coffee, alcohol and especially tea.

nuit93

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »
Not all missionaries dig wells or build schools. Some simply share their beliefs and hope to convince othets, even affluent well-educated cosmopolitan types of the validity of their beliefs.

Thanks for clarifying.  I actually honestly believed that missionary work was performed from the first world to third world or disaster areas.  This is why I like this site, you learn new things all the time.

I've had "missionaries" (nice young American boys) come knocking at the door -- I live in a rural area about 100 miles from London. I told them they would have more luck converting people in England if it didn't involve giving up coffee, alcohol and especially tea.

LOL!

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2013, 03:16:17 PM »

LOL!

Love it!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

oogyda

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 03:37:06 PM »
Adult diapers.

POD. I think I might have actually bought them for her, if I was able. I suppose she could have been planning to return them for cash, but still.. can't imagine needing those and not being able to afford them.

I did buy them for her.  She cried. 

I had finished my shopping and was returning my cart to the corral when she approached me.  I suppose since my hair is more gray/white than anything else, she thought I might understand.  I asked her to come in with me and she declined.  Perhaps because she was dirty and smelled...but who knows.  So, I asked her what kind and what size and went back in for them.  She must have known the prices as the brand she requested was the least expensive of all of them.  I bought the 12 pack (choices were 6, 12 or 24) since the 24 pack was very bulky.   Less than $10 spent. 

I meant "outrageous" in the extraordinary or unconventional sense.....not in the overly entitled sense. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Well I just got an mass email from my cousin asking if anyone would "donate" to her divorce fund. Then a reply all from her mom (also my cousin) stating that Glitter should be willing to "donate to the cause" as I was unwilling to let her live with me (for free, for as long as she wanted). Glitter is not amused.

See cousin is already divorced, so this isn't give me money so I can hire a lawyer. No, see she married a man who made good money and could support her in a nice lifestyle and she didn't have to work. But since she had an affair, per the pre-nup she signed, she don't get a gosh darn thing. So she wants the family to give her some money so she can "afford her lifestyle", her step-dad hooked her up with a job at his catering company, and she makes enough to pay for the basics but she can't afford to get her done, or her nails done, and she hasn't been shopping in AGES. She's living on mac n' chesse and hot dogs. It's very awful. Apparently.

I am at fault because when her mom said "Glitter, let your cousin live here" I said "No". Had I said yes, the money she makes could go to shopping and hair and nails and not boring old bills. I got my hair cut this weekend and posted up a picture of it. So since I can afford to get my hair done, I should be paying for her to get her hair done.  ::)

I just clicked reply all again and typed "No. And please remove me from your solicitation list", you're a grown up. Be a grown up.

goldilocks

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »
Last summer a mom and her daughter knocked on my door asking me for money to help support her daughter in a beauty pageant. What???? And as I looked across the street, there was her dad and brother asking my neighbor for the same thing and showing her photo.

That's probably not as bad as it looks on the surface.   My niece participates in beauty pageants.  She was in a fairly big one last year (state wide), and she was not allowed to pay her own fee.  Instead she had to raise "sponsors" to pay for the fee.   As far as I know, however, she didn't go to strangers but family members and friends.   Often the girls will have a business sponsor them for the advertising.

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
My niece participates in beauty pageants.  She was in a fairly big one last year (state wide), and she was not allowed to pay her own fee.  Instead she had to raise "sponsors" to pay for the fee.   

What's the reasoning behind that?
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »
I had a woman once ask me if I'd buy her some feminine hygiene products. It looked like she was living out of her car, though she looked clean so I'm guessing she'd just hit some hard times, I took her inside, handed her basket and told her to get what she needed (after some prodding from me we got soap, shampoo, ect). She was so grateful she was crying. She told me several people had said she'd "sell it for drugs", I can't imagine how that would work.