Author Topic: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?  (Read 8198 times)

Amara

Re: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2013, 03:22:24 PM »
Wow, Glitter, that makes me see RED! I would be so mad at this attitude--teaching your kid to beg!?!--that I would immediately institute a cut direct. And I'd tell her why. This trend to begging, asking for donations, etc. infuriates me. And now this tops all that!

My father, who firmly believed in pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps--he was of the WWII generation--would be sickened too. This is a beyond-awful trend, and I hate, hate, hate it.  >:(

BeagleMommy

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »
One of DH's coworkers went crying to another coworker begging to borrow a credit card because her heat was going to be shut off.

She and her husband live way above their means are are financed so high above their head that they may never be out of debt.

Anyway she was given the credit card number.  When the bill arrived, guess what she bought?  A satellite radio subscription for her husband's work truck.  She then got highly offended when the woman who loaned the credit card cancelled the subscription.  After all, driving across the state means you can't always get good radio.  ::)

cwm

« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
Wow, Glitter, that makes me see RED! I would be so mad at this attitude--teaching your kid to beg!?!--that I would immediately institute a cut direct. And I'd tell her why. This trend to begging, asking for donations, etc. infuriates me. And now this tops all that!

My father, who firmly believed in pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps--he was of the WWII generation--would be sickened too. This is a beyond-awful trend, and I hate, hate, hate it.  >:(

I agree. It's one thing to ask for money for a missions trip or school trip (if you're asking in an appropriate way), but asking for donations for a luxury item? That's ridiculous.

I was always taught as a small child to send thank you gifts to people. If I wanted something specific, I was to save up the cash gifts I was given on gift-giving occasions and do extra chores around my house and my grandparents' houses to earn the rest. Usually my parents would give me the extra cash I needed after the next gift-giving holiday, but sometimes they didn't. I never expected it, I was always grateful when I could get what I had saved up for.

It's why I treasure my camera and my laptop so much. I had to save a lot of money and do a lot of research in order to get them. And while if someone asked me what I wanted for birthday or Christmas I'd tell them money to save up for a very large purchase, I never went out and asked for it, and I was never ungrateful with what I was given.

goldilocks

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2013, 04:54:19 PM »
One of DH's coworkers went crying to another coworker begging to borrow a credit card because her heat was going to be shut off.

She and her husband live way above their means are are financed so high above their head that they may never be out of debt.

Anyway she was given the credit card number.  When the bill arrived, guess what she bought?  A satellite radio subscription for her husband's work truck.  She then got highly offended when the woman who loaned the credit card cancelled the subscription.  After all, driving across the state means you can't always get good radio.  ::)

I'm going to have to question the wisdom of your DH's coworker who actually gave the credit card!

Margo

« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Regarding the missionaries to London, from a religious standpoint, large metropolitan cities are often areas where moral teachings are most in need. (For a reverse on the typical trope, the silent movie "Broken Blossoms" starts with a Chinese monk coming to the West to proselytize, because he believes its inhabitants are desperately in need of the peace he's found in Buddhism. Ultimately, the depravity in our society breaks him.)
Be that as it may, somehow, I don't think a group of HS students on spring break in another country is the way to go.
I'm pretty sure thay could find large metropolitan cities in their own country (indeed, in their own State) and would be able to devote much more time and money to their mission than if they had to fund all that travel and accommodation...

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »

Her mother (kid's grandma) is not impressed. Which is a very polite way of saying, she received a good old fashioned chewing out.

Here's the real kicker, every year I ask him what he wants for Christmas. He'll either tell me, or say he can't think of anything, in which case I send him money. This year I was thinking of getting him and his little sister (8) refurbished iPads. Partner knows she can get a good deal on some, and she'd make sure they were up to snuff, and then we were going to get some good (cool) cases and an iTunes gift card each. I think they'd help with their school work, and there are some apps I think he would really benefit from. But now...I'm hesitant. I know this idea is all mom, I know the typed note came from mom (he loves to hand write notes because it took him a long time to get legible hand writing, so it's huge he can do it now). But I don't want anyone getting the idea that this is a good idea.

veronaz

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »
Well, I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I currently have a coworker that is currently asking people to borrow 11 grand from their 401K to loan him.

Of course he will make the payments. ::)

What nerve!!  Sheesh.  (I'm just now starting to read this thread, and I'm doing lots of eye-rolling and shaking my head.)

Several years ago a relative with whom I’d had no contact in years called and asked me to send money because they had no food.  I happened to know about this couple…….both made decent salaries, had a new house, 2 nice cars, always trying to keep up with the Joneses.  It was a short conversation – I told them to go to a food pantry in their city.

My cousin told me that after she received a personal injury settlement, the husband of a friend called and asked to borrow $8,000,,,,,,,explaining he needed it to settle debts because he was a compulsive gambler.  (Yeah, that would be a good person to loan money to.    ::) )
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:51:00 PM by veronaz »

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
This isn't totally outrageous, but I got an email from my DH's uncle yesterday that I thought was funny.  Uncle Joe wrote that Jeremiah, his son, is selling Boy Scout wreaths again this year.  Jeremiah "wanted to contact you all personally to thank you for your orders last year and ask about this year, but he has been super busy".  We are to "carefully consider" our "holiday decoration needs" and respond by this weekend.  Jeremiah would really like us to buy wreaths this year, as he is signed up to go sailing in the Caribbean this coming summer, and 1/3 of the proceeds go to that.  I've never been sailing in the Caribbean in the summer, so I don't think this is a good inducement for people to buy wreaths. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2013, 06:22:47 PM »
And if you decline, will Uncle Joe try to lay on the guilt trip?  "Don't you want Jeremiah to ever have any fun?  Do you hate all kids, or just Jerry?"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2013, 06:46:09 PM »
And if you decline, will Uncle Joe try to lay on the guilt trip?  "Don't you want Jeremiah to ever have any fun?  Do you hate all kids, or just Jerry?"

WE wouldn't hear about it, but everyone else in the family would.  "LadySnowdon is such a bad influence on LordSnowdon!  We sent out the wreath email to them, just like we always do, and they ended up not ordering anything!  Jeremiah was soooo disappointed; he was really looking forward to seeing them when he delivered the wreath and all." 

veronaz

« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2013, 07:02:30 PM »
MOM21SON - Question:  Has anyone complained to management?  (about the guy wanting to borrow $11k from coworkers)

Jules1980

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »
I don't want to sound like a cynic but the idea of teen-aged 'missionaries' soliciting money to spend Spring Break in London sounds a bit fishy. 

Will they be teaming up with an established mission of their denomination in London?  If that's the case I could see contributing to the cause. 

Will they just be heading out to Speaker's Corner and spouting forth?  If that's the case the answer will be a resounding 'Nope'. 

We don't see it much these days but it used to be a common practice for seminary students to do street-corner preaching. The idea was that it helped them hone their sermon and personal interaction skills.  However, these were people of University age. 

For High School students it sounds more like a lark than anything else and could be outright dangerous.

My sister's college ministry group used to go to Daytona Beach and the like for Spring Break as missionaries.  They would offer a free tipsy taxi service and hand out bibles and tracts. If the people felt like talking about either of the two they did, and if they didn'tm they just got them safely back to their hotels. 

Jules1980

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2013, 07:47:44 PM »

When I was about 20 or so, the boyfriend-at-the-time and I were walking down South Street in Philly when a couple of guys around our age asked for $5 for The United Negro Pizza Fund. The boyfriend was so amused by their wit and honesty he gave it to them. I don’t think they even really needed it, they just wanted some pizza.  ;D

They so would have gotten pizza money from me for that.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
Got a card today! From my friend's son (he's 9 now), nice little thank you for his birthday gift (giftcard to a video game store), hand written (and made), except on the bottom there was a typed bit. "So, I asked for an iPad for my birthday, mom said no. I've put in the letter to Santa, but boy the elves have a hard time building those just right. So I'm asking for donations so I can buy one of my very own!", wait...did a 9 year old, who doesn't believe in Santa and hasn't since he was 6 (long story, drunk grandpa) just hit me up for cash to get an iPad? Seriously?

I called mom. According to mom he's been bugging her for an iPad for some time now and she's been saying no. Finally, sick of it, she decided he could "raise" the money by begging friends and family to give him "donations" so he can buy it himself. She was so proud of this plan! Apparenlty this will teach him budgeting skills. I think it teaches him begging skills.
This is so wrong, and it is easy to do the right way. My cousin J was saving for an Ipad. He did odd jobs, gave up school snacks and saved that money (he was 8) . So when I contacted his Mom about his birthday she told me several toys and that he was saving. I split what I would normally spend. I got him a smallish toy - because 8 you need some toys on your birthday. The rest of what I normally would spend was a check made out to Mom (so no problems cashing) with for J's Ipad on it. Come Christmas we heard that he had saved enough money - so he got Itunes cards.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2013, 01:10:07 AM »

I'm going to have to question the wisdom of your DH's coworker who actually gave the credit card!

I second Goldilocks questioning of your co-workers wisdom.  I would have probably helped out the 'borrower' by telling them about emergency programs for keeping the heat on or maybe asking for the account number for the heat company.  But I would never give someone my credit card number.