Author Topic: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?  (Read 8184 times)

flickan

I'm asking this because we recently heard from an acquaintance who is fundraising for the expense of burying a relative.  Only friends are being solicited, none of them really know the relative, no one knows what the immediate family thinks of this, and the kicker is that she (the relative in question) is still alive but will probably pass soon.  It's a very sad situation and one we find very bizarre.

I've heard of collections being taken up for new homes, career changes, weddings, adoptions, etc but this seems to me so far outside the realm of bad taste that I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't heard it myself.

So what have you been asked to contribute to that you just couldn't believe?

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:26:10 PM »
We have had panhandlers soliciting for Pot and Beer.  I had one throw a fit because I gave money to a charity group on the same corner and would not give him any. He kept following me screaming about how I needed to smoke a joint and loosen up.  I had to call the cops to get him to leave me alone.

Not sure about other areas but in Seattle I have seen about 10-15 people with variations on the same signs.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
One of my high school peers sent out letters to a bunch of people in town (including my parents) to raise money for a semester in Australia.  Not doing service work or anything, just "I want to take a semester to travel around and learn stuff."  He didn't say so in the letter, but his parents were mostly paying for the trip - he was raising beer money.

My parents declined to donate, but IIRC he did go for a semester and partied a lot.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
Hat may have been unnecessary, if you're friendly enough here people will buy you beer.

MOM21SON

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:06:26 PM »
Well, I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I currently have a coworker that is currently asking people to borrow 11 grand from their 401K to loan him.

Of course he will make the payments. ::)

flickan

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 08:09:23 PM »
Well, I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I currently have a coworker that is currently asking people to borrow 11 grand from their 401K to loan him.

11 grand!??  Is there even an explanation for that amount??

MOM21SON

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »

11 grand!??  Is there even an explanation for that amount??

Why sure there is.  See he borrowed from his and still owes 11 grand.  But his payments are getting him further in debt because he can't afford the payments.  So he wants to pay off his loan.  Why people are not falling over taking out loans to help him is beyond me.

Promise

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 09:26:11 PM »
Last summer a mom and her daughter knocked on my door asking me for money to help support her daughter in a beauty pageant. What???? And as I looked across the street, there was her dad and brother asking my neighbor for the same thing and showing her photo.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
To help pay for someone's schooling for her to pursue a career in something related to the entertainment industry (specific details would be revealing too much info).

This was somebody who was an associational friend. Not my BFF or a close friend. She was not a stranger/online friend/friend of a friend- she was someone I had met IRL at an activity for a shared interest. We have several mutual friends in common. I have interacted with her IRL a few times at a few events for the interest we share- however, I have not seen her in a few years. We do not live in the same city. I do not have her current contact information (other than what is on her FB profile), nor do I know if she still has mine (has not changed). In conclusion, this is not somebody I interact with often- she is not very active in any of the social networking sites we belong to.

I had helped her before a few years earlier- I sent her a gift card to a store where they sell food/underwear/toiletries/medications- when she was in a less than optimal situation.

Had she been asking for help due to a medical emergency, I would have helped. Had she been going to school to study nursing or another high-demand career, I may have helped.

Also, I was asked specifically. She did not just put a general notice on FB. She did approach me specifically and individually. I do not know if she had assumed that because I sent her that kind of help for an emergency a few years earlier, I may have been one of her financially better off friends.

I declined.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:48:26 PM by whiterose »
I have pet mice!

Library Dragon

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 09:54:52 PM »
Acquaintances from church sent out an email asking for contributions to bring over 4 children from eastern European nation for a two week Christmas trip.  These are not orphans or kids who will get a better life out of the trip other than a trip to the USA.  Just 4 kids from a family they met on a trip to the country.  The amount sought? $9,000. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

doodlemor

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
We knew of some people who were soliciting funds for their daughter and some others to go to London, UK, during spring break as missionaries.  They stated that [deity] had told them to go and save people.  We declined to contribute. 

The things that people claim that [deity] has told them to do always amaze me.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
We knew of some people who were soliciting funds for their daughter and some others to go to London, UK, during spring break as missionaries.  They stated that [deity] had told them to go and save people.  We declined to contribute. 

My cousins, who are members of the orange religion, routinely ask my mother, siblings, and I, who are members of the purple religion, to support them in mission trips to purple-ish countries, in order to convert the purple people to orange-ism.

They've been doing this for almost 20 years and are still consistently amazed that we say no.

Promise

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 10:32:39 PM »

While claiming God tells you to do something probably should have been left out, asking people in your church or close family to support you on a mission trip is quite common. It's ok to decline. But most missionaries have to raise support for long term missions as well. An example is establishing a non-profit ministry in another country and moving there to work with people.  They do this by going to different churches and sharing their future work. Every few years they come back home and go back to the supporting churches to report back on the work.

The reason people ask for money from others for short term trips is to get an idea how hard and humbling it is to ask others to support you if you believe missions work is your calling. My guess is that there was a specific work project they would do there. In my past, I did building projects (drywall, painting, etc.), children's ministry such as puppetry and storytelling, prayer walks - praying for people in different areas, as well as a day or two getting to know the culture.

doodlemor

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 11:38:23 PM »

While claiming God tells you to do something probably should have been left out, asking people in your church or close family to support you on a mission trip is quite common. It's ok to decline. But most missionaries have to raise support for long term missions as well. An example is establishing a non-profit ministry in another country and moving there to work with people.  They do this by going to different churches and sharing their future work. Every few years they come back home and go back to the supporting churches to report back on the work.

The reason people ask for money from others for short term trips is to get an idea how hard and humbling it is to ask others to support you if you believe missions work is your calling. My guess is that there was a specific work project they would do there. In my past, I did building projects (drywall, painting, etc.), children's ministry such as puppetry and storytelling, prayer walks - praying for people in different areas, as well as a day or two getting to know the culture.

Please realize that I would never wish to detract from the valiant efforts and work of missionaries who do kind things for people, often in 3rd world countries.  Our church supports several people who bravely left this peaceful area and went to places without any conveniences to work among the poor.  I have the greatest admiration for missionaries, and you are among them, Promise.

The individuals who caused my ire did not have a definite plan of action, or if they did it was kept a secret.  They were also of high school age, not adults.  The soliciting was very hard sell and demanding, not like the "sharing" mentioned by you.  Their parents also were asking for funds.  Whether the parents were planning to go along to London I don't remember, but the $$$$ was not raised and they spent spring break somewhere else.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »
So, they just wanted to go on Spring Break, but they thought people would give more if they thought they were doing something worthwhile?  That is actually quite despicable because I know 2 girls who would go to 3rd world countries for a month every summer and build schools.  I donated to them..one time it was any old sporting equipment for them to take to the kids (got my DD;s soccer team involved in that and it felt good to see these little girls donating their outgrown shows and their older balls to underprivileged kids), sometimes it was toiletry items to stock up on to take to the villagers. 

I have a relative who, when he got his (still married) gf pregnant could not get on the phone quick enough to spread the good news that they didn't have any money and could we help them and her kids (3 or 4 of them) out in their time of need?  Funny how we all declined that opportunity.  And he is now mad that we are not jumping for joy that 4 months after the birth of that baby, the 2 jobless wonders have found out she is pregnant again.  He actually made a post about how no one helps them and we just all judge them unfairly.   :o