Author Topic: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?  (Read 9394 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
I had a woman once ask me if I'd buy her some feminine hygiene products. It looked like she was living out of her car, though she looked clean so I'm guessing she'd just hit some hard times, I took her inside, handed her basket and told her to get what she needed (after some prodding from me we got soap, shampoo, ect). She was so grateful she was crying. She told me several people had said she'd "sell it for drugs", I can't imagine how that would work.

"Psst - hey buddy!  Wanna buy some tampons?"

Okay, maybe not  :P

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
I haven't heard of tampons, but I have heard on the news about people stealing laundry detergent to sell on. I'm not sure why laundry detergent is such a big draw, but apparently they steal the bottle (or box) and sell it for less than retail to make money.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nuit93

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
Maybe because household cleaning products (and also feminine hygiene supplies) can't be bought with food stamps?

I don't know why anyone would want to resell them for drugs though.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »
I had a woman ask for some money to buy tampons with once.  I told her I could buy some for her, but then she wasn't interested.  I'm guessing that most people who are scamming would ask for the money for that purpose, rather than asking for the items themselves.  I suppose you could *maybe* return the stuff with a receipt, if you had it, but the chances of the buyer necessarily giving you the receipt seem low, so it seems less likely to me to be a scam if the person wants the actual items and not just the money.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2013, 06:18:03 PM »
I had a woman once ask me if I'd buy her some feminine hygiene products. It looked like she was living out of her car, though she looked clean so I'm guessing she'd just hit some hard times, I took her inside, handed her basket and told her to get what she needed (after some prodding from me we got soap, shampoo, ect). She was so grateful she was crying. She told me several people had said she'd "sell it for drugs", I can't imagine how that would work.

It is pretty common to offload stolen/free items for a few bucks of drug money. Even shampoo or tampons. If people can't (or don't want) to pay full price, they might strike a deal with a beggar for cheap goods.

Having said that, it was very sweet of you to buy it for her. :)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
Last summer a mom and her daughter knocked on my door asking me for money to help support her daughter in a beauty pageant. What???? And as I looked across the street, there was her dad and brother asking my neighbor for the same thing and showing her photo.

A girl I know did that! Well, kinda. She didn't go door to door, she made a booth on the street corner(her aunt's street corner) and sold autographs, handmade jewelry, sodas and cupcakes, all with a huge glittery posterboard sign that said "Help [girl] get to [pageant name]! Every penny counts!" She had a "guest book" for people to write their names and addresses and nice wishes for her.

She raised her money, and won. And then went all over town handing out "thank you" bags with lip balm, a photo of her in her crown, pens and sash, and hand writen notes thanking people for their "belief" in a "small town girl's dream".

It was a nice bag... Even if I just wanted a couple cupcakes and a diet coke.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »
Now that's the way to do it!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »

When I was about 20 or so, the boyfriend-at-the-time and I were walking down South Street in Philly when a couple of guys around our age asked for $5 for The United Negro Pizza Fund. The boyfriend was so amused by their wit and honesty he gave it to them. I donít think they even really needed it, they just wanted some pizza.  ;D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2013, 07:33:11 PM »
Adult diapers.

An apparently homeless woman approached me in a Walmart/Target/Kmart type store's parking lot wanting adult diapers. 

That is sad, not outrageous.

POD. I think I might have actually bought them for her, if I was able. I suppose she could have been planning to return them for cash, but still.. can't imagine needing those and not being able to afford them.

I did buy them for her.  She cried. 

I had finished my shopping and was returning my cart to the corral when she approached me.  I suppose since my hair is more gray/white than anything else, she thought I might understand.  I asked her to come in with me and she declined.  Perhaps because she was dirty and smelled...but who knows.  So, I asked her what kind and what size and went back in for them.  She must have known the prices as the brand she requested was the least expensive of all of them.  I bought the 12 pack (choices were 6, 12 or 24) since the 24 pack was very bulky.   Less than $10 spent. 

I meant "outrageous" in the extraordinary or unconventional sense.....not in the overly entitled sense. 

Thank you for doing that.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
My cousin apologized for other family members trying to pressure me into donating to his going on a mission fund. He knows exactly how I feel about people pushing religion on anyone. We agree to disagree (and I love him dearly) about many things. The fact he knows how I feel and doesn't push makes him dearer to me.

A couple of years before I had given both him and his sister money for their birthdays and Christmas because they were both going to school and working to save up enough money for a trip to backpack Europe.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
I am in agreement with OP about the funeral solicitation.  The person isn't even dead yet, so it is not like a sudden tragedy (fire, accident), no one that is being solicited even knows this person, who may be mortified to find out their eventual passing is becoming a fund raising opportunity, and to give a dollar amount needed to be raised.  Most people, when setting up memorial accounts appreciate any amount and don't have a price tag.  Also, just because you want a big fancy funeral with all the trimmings doesn't mean everyone is obligated to make that happen.  When my ex husband died recently, his mother was so upset that no one was kicking in the money for the funeral her baby boy deserved..well, he had no money, she had no money, I had a small dollar amount to kick in but it had to be done with what they had which was a state paid cremation, a rental coffin for a 3 hour viewing, and eventual burial of his ashes with his mother.  Same as any other thing in life, you plan for what you can afford and so many people do pre paid so they can make payments and have the funeral of their desires.  The OP's solicitation email just sounds so darn off...and I am cynical enough to think they are using the dying relative as a way to pay their own bills.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »

...   She didn't go door to door, she made a booth on the street corner(her aunt's street corner) and sold autographs, handmade jewelry, sodas and cupcakes, all with a huge glittery posterboard sign that said "Help [girl] get to [pageant name]! Every penny counts!" She had a "guest book" for people to write their names and addresses and nice wishes for her.

To me, that's altogether different from walking door to door just asking for money.  This girl wasn't begging.  She worked hard for the money!! 

It also sounds like she was fantastic about following up with Thank Yous too.  Good for her!

cwm

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 11:06:01 AM »
Just remembered one from my mom. She got a letter from a cousin that she's fairly close to, and that Sis and I are close to. Cousin used to babysit for Sproglet on a regular basis, she's a great girl. Mom and Cousin's mom are also extremely close.

Anyway, this letter was a fundraising letter asking for money to go on a Missions trip to Costa Rica. Great, right? Except it was a form letter. No name, no personalization whatsoever, just a form letter. Mom said she's never been so hurt. If Cousin really wanted some money for fundraising, all she had to do was get on FB and message, or call, or email, or stop by. Mom would have been very generous if Cousin came and personally asked. As it was, she felt more like she was in a massive cattle call for money. I believe she declined to give, but I'm not sure.

v33ly

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
This wasn't a direct solicitation, but one towards everyone in my town.

About a year ago, a well-known figure about town was struck by a car in one of those terrible, blameless accidents.  She wound up in the hospital and never made it home, she died two months ago.

Her son set up a newspaper ad and went around town soliciting donations for her medical care.  People donated because everyone loved her.  A few days later, her daughter (her primary caregiver) had to let people know that her mother's insurance was covering all treatment and the son was estranged.  And had convictions for theft.  As far as I know, no one got their money back.

MindsEye

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »

Well, I don't know about bar soap or shampoo... but some types of powdered detergent are often used to "cut" certain types of drugs...