Author Topic: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?  (Read 10118 times)

MindsEye

Re: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
There is just no tasteful way of putting this...

... I had an acquaintance who was trying to crowd-fund a b00b job. 

Not because she had had cancer and needed a reconstruction... no... she just thought that hers were too small, wanted much bigger ones, and couldn't (or maybe didn't want to) pay for it on her own. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
  I misread the OP and thought I saw "buy a relative"

I think its a little uncharitable to judge so harshly with so much missing information.  You don't know that a family member can step up and pay for it. The person who is dying may be greatly distressed at the thought of not being buried.   Even the simplest funerals are expensive in the several thousands (with coffin , embalming , plot that's not counting a the simplest grave maker (bronze ? 8 x10 ish set in flat in the grass) was $250 15 years ago) Burials are required by some religions and I wouldn't have the heart to tell a  dying stranger "well there's not enough money for a gave for you so you're going to hell." let alone a relative, so while it may be in bad taste it may but sheer desperation in a desperate time.

NestHolder

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »
We knew of some people who were soliciting funds for their daughter and some others to go to London, UK, during spring break as missionaries.  They stated that [deity] had told them to go and save people.  We declined to contribute. 

The things that people claim that [deity] has told them to do always amaze me.

Sorry am I missing something?  London?  They want to go to London, one of the most affluent and culturally diverse tourist cities in the world, for missionary reasons?   Did diety tell them which show in the west end too? ;-)

Edited to add "one of the most"

I certainly don't think they would have found any converts—though they could have ranted awhile at Speakers Corner for the edification of the passing masses.

Going to "The Book of Mormon" while they were here would have been educational. 

cwm

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
There is just no tasteful way of putting this...

... I had an acquaintance who was trying to crowd-fund a b00b job. 

Not because she had had cancer and needed a reconstruction... no... she just thought that hers were too small, wanted much bigger ones, and couldn't (or maybe didn't want to) pay for it on her own.

I read a story earlier this year about a woman who got one on the NHS in England. It was to further her career as a model, and because her self-esteem was so terrible without it. Taxpayers ended up paying for it.

Well, wouldn't you know, they made them too big. And it was so hard for her to put up with all the catcalls on the street, and her modelling career didn't take off. So then she wanted the NHS to give her a reduction. For free. Because it was so terrible, what she had to go through, and now that her story was in the news for getting it done in the first place, she was getting hate mail and threats. So of course, let's have those angry taxpayers fund another surgery, it's the best idea, right?

Now please keep in mind I live half a world away from the UK and was only following this through the tabloids online (Daily Mail is a source of great entertainment because I don't believe half of it), but still, I have to wonder what was going through this girl's mind.

jmarvellous

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »
Just remembered one from my mom. She got a letter from a cousin that she's fairly close to, and that Sis and I are close to. Cousin used to babysit for Sproglet on a regular basis, she's a great girl. Mom and Cousin's mom are also extremely close.

Anyway, this letter was a fundraising letter asking for money to go on a Missions trip to Costa Rica. Great, right? Except it was a form letter. No name, no personalization whatsoever, just a form letter. Mom said she's never been so hurt. If Cousin really wanted some money for fundraising, all she had to do was get on FB and message, or call, or email, or stop by. Mom would have been very generous if Cousin came and personally asked. As it was, she felt more like she was in a massive cattle call for money. I believe she declined to give, but I'm not sure.

I understand your mother's disappointment, but it's entirely possible that they required the kids to give out names/addresses (or address the envelopes themselves) while actually at the church for the mission fundraising event. Peer pressure and all.

I know that's the way they made my peers do a bunch of similar fundraisers back in the day, anyway.

Once, I gave an umbrella to a person living on the street in the pouring rain, walked into a store, and when I walked out they asked me for cash.

Another time, in the same area (where a lot of teen runaways lived), I gave a group a pizza. They asked me for one with different toppings (not just cheese) and heckled me when I said that's all I had.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »
A lady I work with does missionary work in Africa occasionally during her summers with her husband, which is fine.  What rubs me the way is that they buy tons of beaded necklaces from the local women really, really, REALLY cheaply.  They then bring the necklaces back and sell them to friends for a huge profit.  Which is also fine, but for the statement I've heard her say more than once... " those women have no idea how much these necklaces sell for here!  We're making a KILLING!"

I've declined to purchase any.

flickan

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2013, 06:33:45 PM »
A lady I work with does missionary work in Africa occasionally during her summers with her husband, which is fine.  What rubs me the way is that they buy tons of beaded necklaces from the local women really, really, REALLY cheaply.  They then bring the necklaces back and sell them to friends for a huge profit.  Which is also fine, but for the statement I've heard her say more than once... " those women have no idea how much these necklaces sell for here!  We're making a KILLING!"

Wait a second... do you mean that she's selling them for her own personal profit?

Because I can see if she's selling them at a high markup for charity going back into the mission, that would make sense.  But to brag about profit she herself enjoys on these items seems... just... wow...

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »
Uncharitable, at the least.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
DH's church asked for $$$$$ to send the pastor on an overseas tour.  Not to a 3rd-world country on a mission to help people, but to ANTARCTICA for a vacation!  They apparently got enough suckers willing to pay to send him there, but DH didn't give them a dime. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

nuit93

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »
DH's church asked for $$$$$ to send the pastor on an overseas tour.  Not to a 3rd-world country on a mission to help people, but to ANTARCTICA for a vacation!  They apparently got enough suckers willing to pay to send him there, but DH didn't give them a dime.

You know, when I think of vacation spots, I don't tend to think of places that could kill me from the cold alone.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »

You know, when I think of vacation spots, I don't tend to think of places that could kill me from the cold alone.

I would love to go but I would rather pay for it myself. Perhaps they should give him a one-way ticket?

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »

Wait a second... do you mean that she's selling them for her own personal profit?

Because I can see if she's selling them at a high markup for charity going back into the mission, that would make sense.  But to brag about profit she herself enjoys on these items seems... just... wow...

Yep.  I'd have no issue if the money was used to fund another mission or some such.  But their past two trips have been to kayak in Hawaii.  Openly funded by their huge mark up on the necklaces.  Most people who buy them are given the impression the profit is for charity.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »

Yep.  I'd have no issue if the money was used to fund another mission or some such.  But their past two trips have been to kayak in Hawaii.  Openly funded by their huge mark up on the necklaces.  Most people who buy them are given the impression the profit is for charity.

Wow ... that's ... wow. I am dumbfounded.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

andi

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2013, 09:55:59 PM »
We have had panhandlers soliciting for Pot and Beer.  I had one throw a fit because I gave money to a charity group on the same corner and would not give him any. He kept following me screaming about how I needed to smoke a joint and loosen up.  I had to call the cops to get him to leave me alone.

Not sure about other areas but in Seattle I have seen about 10-15 people with variations on the same signs.

Was gonna ask if you lived in Austin!  Used to see the pot ones quite often

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2013, 11:16:53 PM »

Perhaps a very polite, faux-innocent tactical guilt trip is in order?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture