Author Topic: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?  (Read 9805 times)

Carotte

Re: What's the most outrageous you've ever been solicited money for?
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2013, 06:56:29 AM »
. But now...I'm hesitant. I know this idea is all mom, I know the typed note came from mom (he loves to hand write notes because it took him a long time to get legible hand writing, so it's huge he can do it now). But I don't want anyone getting the idea that this is a good idea.

Maybe try to instill some good work value in him (since it seems his mother isn't...) and tell him you'd help out if he does some odd jobs around?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2013, 09:24:11 AM »
One of DH's coworkers went crying to another coworker begging to borrow a credit card because her heat was going to be shut off.

She and her husband live way above their means are are financed so high above their head that they may never be out of debt.

Anyway she was given the credit card number.  When the bill arrived, guess what she bought?  A satellite radio subscription for her husband's work truck.  She then got highly offended when the woman who loaned the credit card cancelled the subscription.  After all, driving across the state means you can't always get good radio.  ::)

I'm going to have to question the wisdom of your DH's coworker who actually gave the credit card!

I second Goldilocks questioning of your co-workers wisdom.  I would have probably helped out the 'borrower' by telling them about emergency programs for keeping the heat on or maybe asking for the account number for the heat company.  But I would never give someone my credit card number.

I have offered to help someone out when they say they can't pay X bill.  But I tell them to get me their account information and I'll pay the bill directly.  You'd be surprised how many, 'Oh, that's OK, I'll manage' responses you get after that.  I think I've only ever had to follow through on my offer once and I got paid back!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

BeagleMommy

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
One of DH's coworkers went crying to another coworker begging to borrow a credit card because her heat was going to be shut off.

She and her husband live way above their means are are financed so high above their head that they may never be out of debt.

Anyway she was given the credit card number.  When the bill arrived, guess what she bought?  A satellite radio subscription for her husband's work truck.  She then got highly offended when the woman who loaned the credit card cancelled the subscription.  After all, driving across the state means you can't always get good radio.  ::)

I'm going to have to question the wisdom of your DH's coworker who actually gave the credit card!

I second Goldilocks questioning of your co-workers wisdom.  I would have probably helped out the 'borrower' by telling them about emergency programs for keeping the heat on or maybe asking for the account number for the heat company.  But I would never give someone my credit card number.

I have offered to help someone out when they say they can't pay X bill.  But I tell them to get me their account information and I'll pay the bill directly.  You'd be surprised how many, 'Oh, that's OK, I'll manage' responses you get after that.  I think I've only ever had to follow through on my offer once and I got paid back!

Funny thing is, she's never asked DH for money.  I think she knows he'd laugh at her.  She always manages to find at least one soft-hearted soul every year that she can bamboozle into giving her money.  One man asked for a statement showing where to send the payment and she started spluttering and stammering trying to avoid showing a bill.  She tends to wear out friendships very quickly.

veronaz

« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »

This.

Very poor judgment.

First of all, utility shutoffs are never a surprise.  One sees those coming for months, and utility companies have various options to try to work something out.

Also, there are social service agencies that help with those situations.

What the woman did (getting satellite) was fraudulent, however, the co-worker willingly gave up her credit card.  Hope she learned a lesson.