Author Topic: Pulled Pork Crockpot Recipe  (Read 712 times)

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Pulled Pork Crockpot Recipe
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »
I've been looking at recipes online for a pulled pork variation using beer instead of root beer so I was wondering if anyone had tried the beer variation before?

I've seen recipes where people use Budweiser, but would it be possible to use an Imperial Pale Ale or a heavier bodied pale ale instead like Sam Adams? 

If i do add beer should I still use apple cider vinegar as well?

space guy

Re: Pulled Pork Crockpot Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »
I would think Pale ale would most likely work in place of budweisser, but it's hard to be sure without seeing the recipe.

katycoo

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:54:21 PM »
You could use any kind of beer, or cider.  They would each affect the flavour slightly but no variety would be bad.
I would still use vinegar.

Lynnv

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:17:11 AM »
I would avoid certain types of beers.  IPAs, for instance, are very bitter.  Cooking them down will intensify the bitterness.   I would avoid porters, most stouts and any sour beers for the same reason.

Ambers, some pale ales (depending on the hoppiness) should be okay.  A brown ale would probably work.  Some sweet stouts would probably be okay.   

Bud is a light American lager with very light body and minimal hops levels. I would be looking for something in the light to medium body range with minimal hoppiness to replace it. 

A Sam Adams (either the basic lager or ale) is probably a good bet, depending on the recipe.  I would imagine that the rest of the recipe would not need to change much, but it is tough to say without it being a recipe I have tried before. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

katycoo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 02:41:44 AM »
Avoid stouts?  I slow cook so many other things with it I woudn't imagine that's an issue.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »
If you are looking for a sweet barbeque flavor, I would do a maple beer or honey ales.  (Sooo good)  They even have delicious Apple ales too.

If you are looking for savory, I agree with others, a smooth beer would be best.  One to try is Red Stripe or Shock Tops.

I do guinness with corned beef and it isn't bitter since I put in a spoonful of honey to counter it.  You could do the same with the pork.

One thing I notice that the less liquid the better.  I only use about 1/2 cup of total liquid.  The long cooking times and condensation really makes it too liquidy and dilutes it.  I also do a rub on the pork and let it sit.  It will "melt" down into the liquid a bit.  Halfway or an hour or two before serving, I will lift the lid and break it apart a bit and push it down further.  I tend to add vinegar about 10 minutes before serving and then salt/pepper to taste as needed.  That way the vinegar brightens/refreshes the flavor before serving.

Lynnv

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 08:50:36 PM »
Avoid stouts?  I slow cook so many other things with it I woudn't imagine that's an issue.

In my opinion (worth almost, but not quite, what was paid for it)-yes.   For BBQ, the bite of an imperial stout, a dry stout or even an Irish stout would, IMO, be out of place.  Basically, anything where that stout bite is really pronounced.  In other words-all of my favorites.  ;D   

A milk stout, oatmeal stout or a sweet stout would, IMO, work okay, though I think (given that you are replacing a beer with a light, clean, not even remotely bitter profile) staying away from that end of the spectrum altogether would be best.  Some of the lighter stouts being made by some US breweries would probably be okay too-but, again, given that you are replacing something with very little malt or hop character, subbing it out with something with HUGE character is not going to give you a reasonable substitution.

I love stews and chilis made with stout, but BBQ is a different animal and the flavor profile you are looking for is different.  Even the more vinegary end of the BBQ spectrum isn't going to benefit from that stout bite.  Though  I suppose it depends on how much of it you drink while cooking and how much makes it into the dish too.  :>
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein