Author Topic: Holy Mackeral! I Have Been WAY Overtipping! What to do.  (Read 10238 times)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Holy Mackeral! I Have Been WAY Overtipping! What to do.
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »
So she started providing a more expensive service and charging you for it, without asking, even though the advertised price was less?  That seems pretty uncool to me.  Granted, I've never had my nails done, so I may not fully understand the culture, but to me it sounds like she's playing you to get extra "tips" (with the tip now supposedly being for the fancier powder).

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 01:00:23 AM »
So she started providing a more expensive service and charging you for it, without asking, even though the advertised price was less?  That seems pretty uncool to me.  Granted, I've never had my nails done, so I may not fully understand the culture, but to me it sounds like she's playing you to get extra "tips" (with the tip now supposedly being for the fancier powder).

Thanks, Surianne. I was thinking the same thing.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

ktanne

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 01:14:08 AM »
I wonder though, if the more expensive powder is being used due to the skin sensitivity issues that Yarnspinner mentioned in her  OP?  I thought part of the reason OP was so happy with the manicurist was due to the the fact that she (the manicurist) had managed to work around some issues... in which case, I think I would be happy to pay more, in order not to be suffering from allergic reactions or similar.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 08:38:17 AM »
I'm sorry, but even with the update, I think she has been taking advantage of you.  You finally called her on it and she told you what she has been doing, without even asking you first if it was ok to do so.  She decides to tell you when you call her on the charges.

I would find someone else.  I don't feel she is trustworthy. 

What if you had never said anything?  She knew exactly what she was doing. 

Yarnspinner

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
I DO agree with what you say.  But, to be honest, the fact that my skin no longer cracks, flakes and peels around my nails is worth the price of admission.  The last three places I went told me it was MY fault my skin was peeling (from the knuckles down, I looked like a cast member from the walking dead) and charged me more than she did for fills.  It is a huge relief to have pretty nails (I cannot grow them for beans) and NOT have the itching red peeling skin. 

This may be a language problem between us, too, which it occurs to me that I should have mentioned.  I promise to look around, though, and keep all suggestions in mind.
I was trying to be upbeat and came off looking ditzy instead.  Thanks for making me keep focused on reality.  I'll keep you posted on my research.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »
Personally, I prefer things to be done in a more formal way, but then again I don't get my hair and nails done, in part because I don't like the atmosphere of many salons--the intimacy always feels forced to me.

But if you're happy with the results, the atmosphere, and the price you're paying for that, especially having experienced dissatisfaction at other places, I don't think you need to look for reasons to change. It might be useful to find out exactly what products she's using and look them up online, so you can know for the future should you have to tell a new person. And if in the course of doing that research, you discover something that feels shady, you can decide what to do next.
~Lynn2000

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
I'm guessing you also discussed your skin allergies with her when you first came in.  So she probably made a choice to use the high end stuff on you, which increased the price of refills, and didn't realize you were never made aware that they cost more.  She probably thought you knew about the extra cost and were giving a $10 tip each time.  I don't think she was being deliberately sneaky.  It sounds more like a communication error. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »

Well, maybe what happened is that she said, "She tips so well, I can upgrade her to this slightly more expensive powder that's safer for her. It's the least I can do since she tips so well."

Or, as Marisol said, she thought you knew that she was using a more expensive powder.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »
I'm guessing you also discussed your skin allergies with her when you first came in.  So she probably made a choice to use the high end stuff on you, which increased the price of refills, and didn't realize you were never made aware that they cost more.  She probably thought you knew about the extra cost and were giving a $10 tip each time.  I don't think she was being deliberately sneaky.  It sounds more like a communication error.

I think so too. I imagine her thought process was "Okay, my awesome customer seems to be allergic to the less expensive supplies so I'll try the better stuff. Hey that worked! Note to self - make sure Yarnspinner gets the good stuff." Should she have explicitly said "I've got this better powder that should fix you up but it costs more. Do you want me to use that instead?" Yes, she should have. I think she just took for granted that OP either realized, because she'd been having her nails done for awhile, or would say "Absolutely!" and went ahead. Not professionally ideal but I think her heart was in the right place and everything worked out as it would have anyway. If I were OP I'd definitely stick with her.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2013, 12:10:47 PM »
It's a very interesting assumption to attribute nefarious motives to someone when there are obviously communication, cultural, and language issues involved.  It's self-sabotage to look for fault in a situation that one is actually quite pleased with.

It's the responsibility of the customer to determine the cost of a product or service. Of course, the merchant should be upfront and honest.  It's business, and there's no reason to feel awkward about establishing a price.

It isn't unusual for customers to give large tips to manicurists and hair stylists they like.  My SIL, a high-end hair stylists, rakes in huge tips, and during the holiday season, she receives hundreds of dollars in nice gifts. 

The miscommunication has been resolved. I vote for letting it go and being pleased with future good service (that is now less expensive). 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2013, 12:27:58 PM »
It isn't unusual for customers to give large tips to manicurists and hair stylists they like.  My SIL, a high-end hair stylists, rakes in huge tips, and during the holiday season, she receives hundreds of dollars in nice gifts. 

This is true! I got a $25 haircut this weekend and tipped $10. Because I'm -still- getting a great deal at $35. Interesting note: I handed her two $5s, sort of fanned out a bit, and she took just one of them. I had to actually hand her the other $5 again. She acted like it was a significant generosity.
   Well, I guess it was: It was a 40% tip. But I usually tip a huge percentage on small charges; a $7 breakfast would get a $5 tip, probably.