Author Topic: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)  (Read 67244 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not?
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2013, 09:33:11 AM »
"Indigo" children sound like another color of special snowflake.

Indigo children were all the rage a few years ago. Their children are now being called Crystal children- or as I prefer to define them, "Second-generation special snowflakes."
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »

Well, that's the point as far as educators go. Why do smart kids get bored, drop out or just tune out, and not use their talents more fully? Many educators believe that it's because they are not engaged in learning when, to these kids, it's dragged out painfully slowly and bores them to tears. If the smartest kids are not being served by education, shrugging and going, "they're smart, they'll get by somehow," isn't terribly helpful. Boredom is the greatest killer for initiative, curiousity, and all those cool things we want our kids to develop.

All children should be kept engaged and interested. Not just the gifted.

Yes. But it's harder to do when you have a wide range of abilities in one class.

Let's say your school has 200 children in Grade 8. Your goal is 25 children per class (which is *very* optimistic in these times). That would be 8 classes of Grade 8 children.

Now, if you mix them randomly, you will have 8 classes that are approximately equal in distribution of slow-average-fast learners. For maximum efficiency, you pitch your teaching speed towards the average students. That will suit them. The slow learners will have trouble going at that speed, and the fast learners finish the material much faster than the rest of the class.

The school will realize, first, that the slow learners need extra help. So, the school implements various special educational methods to assist them, and help them keep up with the majority of the class. This is clearly an important issues, because otherwise these children may fail, or at least get very discouraged.

However, the fast learners, to the school's eyes, don't have a problem. They're passing, aren't they? Maybe even getting top marks. So, the fact that they're bored and unchallenged is put at the bottom of the priority list.

The idea of identifying children as "gifted" was that instead of having 8 identical classes, you might stream the fastest learners into one class, which would expect them to learn at a rate faster than the "average" classroom was set up for. This would, it was thought, be the most efficient way of teaching. Otherwise, you will expect the teacher to be teaching three (or more) versions of the same material, at the same time. At some point, the overwhelmed teacher is going to say to at least one of these groups, "you're on your own," and it's usually the fast learners.

The downside, of course, is the labelling issue. Once labelled "slow," "average" or "fast/gifted," it is hard to break out of that slot. Kids who were "slow" in Grade 1 because of, say, health or social issues, may need more challenge once those have been overcome, but are left in the original classification. And while educators may say that the segregation was simply one of learning *style*, not intellectual *capacity*, it's obviously easy for people to assume that "slow, average and fast" means "stupid, average and smart". Therefore, segregation versus mainstreaming has been one of the most controversial topics in education for many years.

In many ways, I feel mainstreaming is very beneficial. But I've also seen cases of one extremely smart student sitting in the back of the class, bored out of their skull as their friends are moving at a pace that is comfortable for them, and it's hard not to think, "this is a terrible waste".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

KimodoDragon

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »
As part of the volunteer email database, I just received an email notice from Carol (manager of the thrift store).  Carol is asking all volunteers to plan to stay a few minutes after work is done on Saturday as she has a special treat.  In a P.S., she writes - "prepare to be entertained". 

(long sigh)

I have no idea what this special treat is, nor am I interested.  My gut tells me this has something to do with Connor.  I may be thinking this way because of the incident last weekend.  And I could be wrong. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »
As part of the volunteer email database, I just received an email notice from Carol (manager of the thrift store).  Carol is asking all volunteers to plan to stay a few minutes after work is done on Saturday as she has a special treat.  In a P.S., she writes - "prepare to be entertained". 

(long sigh)

I have no idea what this special treat is, nor am I interested.  My gut tells me this has something to do with Connor.  I may be thinking this way because of the incident last weekend.  And I could be wrong.

RUN AWAY! RUUNN AWAAAAAAAY!!!!!!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BarensMom

Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Email Notice (Reply #107)
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »
"I'm so sorry, Carol, but I have plans immediately after work."

cwm

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »

This. Wait to hear what the surprise is from everyone else, but you have plans. It doesn't matter that they consist solely of avoiding whatever this surprise is. They're plans, and they're important.

Clarin

• Heather Wardell, Women's Fiction
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »

Definitely this. Vital plans. Cannot be changed.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2013, 02:40:03 PM »
Gee, sorry Carol, but I have to pick up my dog at the dog polishing salon after work.  Oh, you'll have a video of Connor's performance?  Well, be sure to post it on the web and I'll be sure to look at it when I have a chance (then never have a chance).

Okay, Evil BeagleMommy has been sent to her crate with a biscuit, but the sentiment still applies.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
It's a production of "Cats" with all the parts performed by Connor.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
 >:D  What terrible advice!   >:D  You should STAY so we can hear what the surprise is!!!   >:D  Think of the e-Hell readers!!!   >:D

I agree, at the first sign of a Connor performance, I would be rushing to pick-up my hamster at the sitters. I do hope that it is actually something fun!

lowspark

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
It's a production of "Cats" with all the parts performed by Connor.

That made me laugh out loud.

MrTango

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »
Maybe I'm a big meanie, but my response to the request to stay late for some "entertainment" would be, "No, thanks.  I'm not interested."

lowspark

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
Actually, I wouldn't respond at all. I'd just leave on time as normal. If she said anything directly to me, I'd just say I had a previous committment after work and wouldn't be able to stay. And yeah, I'd high-tail it outta there.

poundcake

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
>:D  What terrible advice!   >:D  You should STAY so we can hear what the surprise is!!!   >:D  Think of the e-Hell readers!!!   >:D

I agree, at the first sign of a Connor performance, I would be rushing to pick-up my hamster at the sitters. I do hope that it is actually something fun!

This!

Actually, if it does turn out to be the Connor Variety Hour, that might give you some traction with a formal complaint, or at least a legitimate talk about what is proper in terms of people's kids in the workplace. "Carol, I know Connor is your son, and to you, he is absolutely amazing. However, it is unprofessional, as well as potentially unkind to Connor, to bring him into an adult work environment."

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
My advice is that you leave on time
My desire is that you stay and give us a play-by-play
 ;D