Author Topic: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)  (Read 72423 times)

Pen^2

Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - No Show Update (Reply #432)
« Reply #435 on: November 25, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »
Interesting update that could mean several things. I suppose we won't know until another update, though. I hope that whatever's happened is for the best, though.

Was Sharon a breath of fresh air?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - I Spoke With Jessie Update (Reply #340)
« Reply #436 on: November 25, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »
Was anyone else bothered by the thought of kids getting points and getting prizes for who donates the most? Doesn't seem like a great way to foster a spirit of generosity to me, when it seems like setting kids up to think even more about themselves than those they're helping.

When I was in grade school we used to do a canned food drive every year by classroom, for each grade level (so all the fourth grade class room, competed against each other) and which ever classroom donated the most canned foods got a pizza party. It'd get us excited about helping out. And if our teachers were really good they'd talk to us about how the food donations help hungry people in our area. I remember watching some special video from that Nick News program.

Though, we'd always end up inviting the other classrooms to our pizza party anyways...but it was still fun to "compete".

I'm hoping this is a similar thing and the 9 indicates Connor's whole class and not just Connor.

See that I wouldn't have a problem with. I guess, what with the spirit of entitlement that Connor and his mother seems to have, the idea of him getting something fancy and special all to himself rubs me the wrong way. 

However a party that benefits all and in the spirit of "Yay, we helped people, good for us!" doesn't bother me quite as much, if that makes any sense.

The youth group at our church did an afternoon of raking leaves off the church's property and then went to go see a movie when they were done, as sort of a "Thank you" to the kids for helping out. And again, everyone who participated got to partake of the party, not just the one kid.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - I Spoke With Jessie Update (Reply #340)
« Reply #437 on: November 25, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »

To answer a question:  Carol has never fundraised during my time at the store on Saturdays.  She has always talked about how smart and “gifted” Connor is, but has never actively solicited on his behalf.

I wonder if Carol has been targeted by a modelling-agency type scam -  the scammer convinces the mark that their little precious is the next big thing, and then proceeds to milk the mark for training fees and photography fees and acting-camp fees and so on and so forth. I can see such an outfit easily convincing someone like Carol that "oh, yes, absolutely everyone fund-raises amongst their friends and relations and they'll be delighted to help such an obvious rising star!!!"

"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #438 on: November 25, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
To paraphrase from Star Trek, I like this thread. It's exciting!

I can't wait for the report from Madeline, and to hear if Carol comes back to the location, or if she's been transferred away or is gone for good.
POD to this and everyone other PP  ;)

...so I'm really only here for updates :-[...and to provide stoic morale support of course! ;D *ahem*
*cough*
*wanders off to sit quietly and munch on some popcorn*
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Lula

« Reply #439 on: November 26, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »
I've been lurking at EH for the past several weeks, and it's come to the point where I get super excited for the weekends solely because it means the next episode of the seat-gripping Carol and Connor drama is airing. :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:15:18 AM by Lula »

Xanadude

« Reply #440 on: November 26, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »
I joined eHell over the weekend SPECIFICALLY so I could be notified of Carol and the Queen Bee's (from the Work forum) further actions. SO addicting.

MurPl1

« Reply #441 on: November 30, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »
Curious about updates myself.

GSNW

« Reply #442 on: November 30, 2013, 10:41:26 PM »
I think OP should be congratulated on the grace with which this has been handled thus far.  She's reported/notified when appropriate and taken the "wait and see" approach at other times, I see her reactions (despite ire) being calm and rational.  Also, I'd like to add:

kategillian

« Reply #443 on: December 01, 2013, 01:28:38 AM »
Adorable.

twoferrets

« Reply #444 on: December 02, 2013, 10:31:16 AM »
I too am eagerly awaiting updates.  I know a woman very much like Carol and have spent the better part of the last 10 years or so avoiding her.  Her "Connor" is in his teens now, and has been homeschooled since kindergarten when she pulled him out of public school because he was smarter than the teacher, who of course hated him for it and treated him poorly because of it.  It's probably completely insignificant that "My Carol" quit or was fired from every job she had while I knew her because she was smarter than her bosses and everyone else there and they all treated her terribly because of her superior intelligence.

In case the sarcasm isn't coming through, please know that I am not bashing homeschooling! I just wonder how "My Carol's" son is ever going to adjust to, well, anything.  She did take him to activities with other homeschoolers, and various events and such, but strangely he and she often didn't enjoy them because everyone else resented how much smarter and sensitive they were.  I think I see a pattern...

BarensMom

« Reply #445 on: December 02, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »
I too am eagerly awaiting updates.  I know a woman very much like Carol and have spent the better part of the last 10 years or so avoiding her.  Her "Connor" is in his teens now, and has been homeschooled since kindergarten when she pulled him out of public school because he was smarter than the teacher, who of course hated him for it and treated him poorly because of it.  It's probably completely insignificant that "My Carol" quit or was fired from every job she had while I knew her because she was smarter than her bosses and everyone else there and they all treated her terribly because of her superior intelligence.

In case the sarcasm isn't coming through, please know that I am not bashing homeschooling! I just wonder how "My Carol's" son is ever going to adjust to, well, anything.  She did take him to activities with other homeschoolers, and various events and such, but strangely he and she often didn't enjoy them because everyone else resented how much smarter and sensitive they were.  I think I see a pattern...

...and how is my brother's wife these days?

JennJenn68

« Reply #446 on: December 02, 2013, 11:09:36 PM »

...and how is my brother's wife these days?

And I was going to ask the same thing... but insert "my brother" instead...?

KimodoDragon

« Reply #447 on: December 03, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »
Hello EH,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Last Friday night was the Horn O’ Plenty play.  Madeline did attend and gave Jessie and I the story when we saw each other Saturday at the store.

Madeline relayed the story like this:

She arrived to the school and just inside the door people were taking tickets, money, canned goods and then guiding you to the auditorium where the play was taking place.  She walked in the auditorium and saw Carol speaking with someone in the next aisle of seats.  When Carol turned and saw Madeline, she quickly walked out to the hallway.  Madeline took a seat at the back.  Several children, dressed in white polos  with name tags and black pants were walking the aisles of the auditorium passing out programs.  Madeline was reading her program when she heard two boys loudly talking.  One of the boys screamed he “didn’t want to be in the stupid play anyway-I don’t care” and was really in the other one’s face with a sneer.  In runs Carol and grabs the sneering boy – yup – Connor.  Madeline said she started to feel kind of bad for Carol and she isn’t sure why.  She said she felt Carol would probably spend her whole life coddling and running interference for Connor because he is so misbehaved.

Just before the play started, Carol walks back into the auditorium, turned to walk out and sees Madeline sitting in the back.  Madeline gets up and walks over to Carol.  Carol says, “you shouldn’t be here” and then she walks out.  Madeline called after Carol, but took her seat.  The play ended and afterward, Madeline looked around for Carol or Connor, but left after not seeing them.

The next day at the store, Carol hung back in the office mostly and didn’t interact with anyone.

The District Manager posted a notice that there will be an end of year meeting next Saturday.  The notice asked those who had questions, concerns and issues to discuss to please voice them at the meeting.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:11:31 AM by KimodoDragon »

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)
« Reply #448 on: December 03, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »
Why wasn't Madeline supposed to be there?  Carol "invited" people to come by leaving the flyers on everyone's cars.

kategillian

Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)
« Reply #449 on: December 03, 2013, 09:27:25 AM »
Harriet, that's exactly what I was thinking!