Author Topic: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)  (Read 75350 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
Carol didn't want to be caught. I hope she is terminated over this.

Coralreef

« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2013, 09:32:02 AM »
I think Madeline wasn't supposed to see Connor's fit. 

Maybe Carol sees her son as an actor because she couldn't be one for some reason? 

[/right

Goosey

« Reply #452 on: December 03, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »
Probably because M was the one who confronted her about the flyers, indicating her disapproval, and then showed up at the play anyways?

I would question her behavior. It seems almost antagonizing.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #453 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
I don't know.  It sounds like it was for a good cause.  I could see myself going to something like that.  I could also see myself complaining about Carol. 

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #454 on: December 03, 2013, 09:47:24 AM »
So Connor wasn't even in the play? ::)  I guess the casting person didn't want Connor's outstanding performance to overshadow all the other performers'. Or maybe they didn't want to deal with stage mother Carol. :P

I can't wait to hear about Saturday's meeting.  >:D

ETA:  OP: Does your organisation traditionally have an end of year meeting, or is this the first time?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:56:36 AM by sammycat »

m2kbug

« Reply #455 on: December 03, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »
Why wasn't Madeline supposed to be there?  Carol "invited" people to come by leaving the flyers on everyone's cars.

I kind of took that as the mixing up of business and pleasure.  Carol obviously got reprimanded for soliciting personal donations.  Granted, she left flyers on the cars, and someone showed up.  Carol was really rude to give Madeline the snub like that when she actually took time out of her day to see this play and Carol's son, seemingly on Carol's invitation. 

Connor is going to have a rude awakening some day when people don't elevate him to that pedestal the way his mother and father do.  From the first post, it sounds like dad can be a real piece of work as well. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #456 on: December 03, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »
Karma is a rhymes-with-witch and she has PMS.  Carol will get her Karmageddon when Connor ends up depending on her for the rest of his life because the rest of the world won't put up with him.

I also suspect that Carol will be the subject of the end-of-year meeting.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #457 on: December 03, 2013, 10:29:18 AM »
Probably because M was the one who confronted her about the flyers, indicating her disapproval, and then showed up at the play anyways?

I would question her behavior. It seems almost antagonizing.

Yeah.  Carol has been horrible, but after M's actions, I can see Carol thinking M is there to get more ammo to report to the head office.

Kari

« Reply #458 on: December 03, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
Karma is a rhymes-with-witch and she has PMS.  Carol will get her Karmageddon when Connor ends up depending on her for the rest of his life because the rest of the world won't put up with him.

I also suspect that Carol will be the subject of the end-of-year meeting.

I find that a bit harsh and the PMS comment rude and uneccessary. Personally, after reading how Carol gets treated by her family, I think it's no wonder she's having a meltdown and it's feeling a bit ghoulish to feel glee from her downward spiral. I'm not excusing her past behavior (her coworkers should be able to work in peace), but this is starting to feel like watching the aftermath of a car wreck. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #459 on: December 03, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »
That is a harsh accusation.  My statement about how Connor will always have to depend on her has been proven time and again.

One has to wonder about what the rest of Carol's family is like, or does she have any to even see what is going on here.

jmarvellous

« Reply #460 on: December 03, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
While I do find this story entertaining, I'm wondering what's in it for M? Why would you spend several hours at a children's play just to go see  a woman you don't like and a child you really don't like and report it back to your friends?
If she *hadn't* seen any drama, would the visit have been worth it to her?

I don't know your friend, obviously, but this seems like drama-mongering and rumor milling at this point.

(All that said, Carol needs to be out of this workplace yesterday!)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #461 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »
Although I totally agree Carol was inappropriate with her charity solicitations, I am also starting to wonder a bit about Madeleine. Was she planning to go to the play before she knew Carol had anything to do with it? If she was going solely hoping that there would be something else awful to tell about Carol and Connor--this time occurring in another venue, nothing to do with Carol's job--it starts to become a bit uncomfortable and gossipy for me.

I wonder why Madeleine walked over to Carol near the end of the story. I would think the situation would obviously be rather awkward and uncomfortable, with Carol giving no indication that she wanted to interact with Madeleine. A polite nod or wave from Madeleine's seat would have been better, I think, and Carol could have walked over to her if she wanted to chat.

Regarding the end of year meeting--I am also wondering how that will go. Is Carol expected to be present? I think it would be a really difficult situation--people standing up and saying, "Carol sitting right over there did this and that bad thing," Carol sitting there listening to it and getting upset/defensive, management trying to calm everyone down. I'm not sure what good that would really do, if that is indeed the plan (which it might not be). I think it would be better for management to talk to volunteers individually or at least in a small group without Carol there, then get Carol's side of the story/discipline her privately.
~Lynn2000

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #462 on: December 03, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
My guess would be curiosity, unless Madeline has a relative involved in that event.

Having said that, since it was a public place Carol had no right to tell her she shouldn't have been there.  If she had not done a number of things already that would have provoked termination she wouldn't have been paranoid enough to confront Madeline.  That she did could make this worse for her.

To Lynn2000's post:  This end-of-year meeting -- if it is specifically about Carol -- would likely exclude her.  Unless the organization itself is toxic (which I don't have the impression it is) its management would not publicly crucify a problem employee.  These issues are typically handled behind closed doors.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #463 on: December 03, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
I am confused why people assume the end-of-year meeting is about Carol.  Surely the organization has actual work to discuss.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #464 on: December 03, 2013, 11:03:58 AM »
I am confused why people assume the end-of-year meeting is about Carol.  Surely the organization has actual work to discuss.

My thought as well. The year has been pretty long.

And I'm also not so comfortable with Madeleine.

I don't hope Carol gets fired. That just feels mean. I wouldn't wish that one someone, and certainly not for the current set of screw-ups.

I hope Carol finds some equilibrium. And I hope that other people let the drama die down and learn how to blow her off when necessary.