Author Topic: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)  (Read 74382 times)

MurPl1

Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)
« Reply #465 on: December 03, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »
I see it as totally possible that it's related to Carol and the workings of the thrift shop.  Smart non-profits value their volunteers and potentially losing a group of long term dedicated volunteers would have the agency concerned.  it's hard to replace those people.  Especially all at once.  Many non-profits don't really seem to care if volunteers come or go and if they leave they don't really follow up to find out why.  They just assume people moved on or got busy.  But this one has had clear indications and it's smart for them to make their volunteers feel wanted.

Additionally, I don't know of many non-profits like this that would hold a meeting with volunteers for just day to day operational discussion/review.  That's staff's role.  Likely any changes would be passed on later either individually or at a volunteers meeting. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #466 on: December 03, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »
I also don't understand why it would be wrong for someone who lives in the community to attend a public play. Why would attending the play be assigned as malicious?

Goosey

« Reply #467 on: December 03, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »
I also don't understand why it would be wrong for someone who lives in the community to attend a public play. Why would attending the play be assigned as malicious?

I don't think any old person attending a play is malicious, of course.

But someone who has an altercation with one of the staff members and then proceeds to (for some unknown reason) attempt to force an interaction at the play when it's clear Carol is not receptive? It really feels like M was trying to catch or in something or at least get more feed for the gossip (and since she filled the OP and others in on all the little details, I'm leaning more towards that way).

Carol did wrong. But at some point, Carol stops being the only bad guy when people are scrounging around for information to report on her.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #468 on: December 03, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »
I can't count the number of times I have read posts encouraging someone to be present so they could report back to the forum.  I thought M was "takin' one for the team" by attending the play to find out what was going on and report back.  I don't really keep track of exactly who posted what, so the people dissing M for attending play to "get more feed for the gossip" probably aren't the people who post "sorry you have to go through this, but come back and post updates for my entertainment."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Vall

« Reply #469 on: December 03, 2013, 03:13:05 PM »
Connor said that he didn't want to be in the play.  Was he actually in the play?  Did he have a major role?

As far as Carol and Connor disappearing after the play, maybe they just went backstage with the others.  I don't see anything wrong with going to the play but I wouldn't have tried to approach Carol since she didn't seem to want to acknowledge M.

Goosey

« Reply #470 on: December 03, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
I had assumed, Midnight Kitty, that those comments were tongue-in-cheek?

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #471 on: December 03, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »
Carol invited the volunteers to a play/food drive.  Madeline was angry with Carol over the deception and lies about it, not about the play.  And Carol didn't say "well, don't come to the play" so why can't someone go and support the food drive?  And honestly, I would have tried to talk to Carol also if I were in that situation..let her know I was there to support the cause.  Carol is and will always be the only antagonist, and honestly, as sneaky and underhanded as Carol is, someone needs to keep an eye on her because they don't know what she is going to spring on them next.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #472 on: December 03, 2013, 05:01:57 PM »
I would also like to say, in defense of M, that she received an invitation to the play. It's not as if she did any investigating to find out what school the wonderful Conner went to and decided to show up there to be nosy or antagonize Carol.

crella

« Reply #473 on: December 03, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »

I had assumed the same.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #474 on: December 03, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »

I had assumed the same.
If so, I missed the implication.  Often these posts are accompanied by virtual popcorn and virtual Bunny Foo-Foos.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #475 on: December 03, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »
It sort of sounds to me like after the build-up Carol gave her kid that she was embarrassed for someone to find out he wasn't in the play.  Connor's outburst sounded like sour grapes...could be he was assigned to be an usher or some such when he really did want to be in the play but (perhaps) his behaviour caused him to be relegated to a non-stage role.

Personally the one I have the most sympathy for in this mess is Connor.  His mother is not doing him any favours, that's for sure.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #476 on: December 03, 2013, 10:44:35 PM »
I would also like to say, in defense of M, that she received an invitation to the play. It's not as if she did any investigating to find out what school the wonderful Conner went to and decided to show up there to be nosy or antagonize Carol.

Exactly. Carol has only herself to blame for her coworker turning up, as she herself invited them!

johelenc1

« Reply #477 on: December 04, 2013, 12:06:49 AM »
Well, I for one, am happy M attended the play - for whatever reasons.  I hate not knowing what happens.  It's like never seeing the end of a movie.

I am also confused about whether or not Connor had a part in the play and what kind of part.  Most the kids I've ever seen who are talented actually do enjoy it.  You'd  never hear them complaining they don't want to be in a play.

Iris

« Reply #478 on: December 04, 2013, 01:30:41 AM »
It's also possible that M is passionately devoted to the cause of the charity and sees Carol's behaviour as dangerous - driving away volunteers etc as has been discussed here. She may be fully intent on seeing the full extent of Carol's behaviour with the purpose of reporting it to management.

On the one hand, I wouldn't personally do that because I am rarely that invested in something. But on the other hand as long as Carol keeps within the limits everything will turn out fine.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

chibichan

« Reply #479 on: December 04, 2013, 06:10:04 AM »
In defense of the people who want to know "what happens next ..."

I have followed many a saga on this board , tales of hair raising bad manners , poor behavior and downright obnoxiousness .

Some were locked , some were resolved and some remain a mystery but never once have I read a thread conclusion that went like this :

OP : Hey everybody ! Thread subject showed up last week , acknowledged her wrong doing and has promised to try and change her behavior !"

Poster 1 : Darn , I was hoping she would mess up royally and get sacked .
Poster 2 : Yeah , what are we going to do now that we have no more juicy stories about her ?
Poster 3 : Maybe y'all can goad her back into behaving like a jerk so we can keep reading about it !
Poster 4 : Well , she must be lying because people like her never change .

I have never seen anyone on this board decry a good outcome as a loss of entertainment .

My point is ... I always have hope , even for the most etiquette-challenged . Personally , my favorite tales are the ones where the subject gets a wake up call and realizes that their behavior needs to change . I live for those conclusions and I like to believe so do we all .

I will say I am not a fan of " I'll bring the popcorn ..." but that's just me . I truly want to believe that people like Carol will get a clue before it's too late . That's what I'm hoping to see , no matter how slim the chance , when I follow a thread like this one .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.