Author Topic: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)  (Read 74582 times)

123sandy

Re: "Gifted" Child - Engage or Not? - Horn O'Plenty Play Update (Reply #447)
« Reply #480 on: December 04, 2013, 06:14:11 AM »
In defense of the people who want to know "what happens next ..."

I have followed many a saga on this board , tales of hair raising bad manners , poor behavior and downright obnoxiousness .

Some were locked , some were resolved and some remain a mystery but never once have I read a thread conclusion that went like this :

OP : Hey everybody ! Thread subject showed up last week , acknowledged her wrong doing and has promised to try and change her behavior !"

Poster 1 : Darn , I was hoping she would mess up royally and get sacked .
Poster 2 : Yeah , what are we going to do now that we have no more juicy stories about her ?
Poster 3 : Maybe y'all can goad her back into behaving like a jerk so we can keep reading about it !
Poster 4 : Well , she must be lying because people like her never change .

I have never seen anyone on this board decry a good outcome as a loss of entertainment .

My point is ... I always have hope , even for the most etiquette-challenged . Personally , my favorite tales are the ones where the subject gets a wake up call and realizes that their behavior needs to change . I live for those conclusions and I like to believe so do we all .

I will say I am not a fan of " I'll bring the popcorn ..." but that's just me . I truly want to believe that people like Carol will get a clue before it's too late . That's what I'm hoping to see , no matter how slim the chance , when I follow a thread like this one .

I agree. This thread is starting to make me feel uncomfortable. People seem to be delighting in Carols fall and possible job loss...

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #481 on: December 04, 2013, 08:19:24 AM »
I don't think anyone is 'delighting' in Carol's downfall..what it is tho is we can identify with OP because we know the Carol's of the world and we are sick of watching this behavior play out in our real life.  It gives us hope that people like her and all the other entitled people we deal with, be it relatives, co workers, neighbors, either get a clue or a karmic slap upside the head.  Do I hope Carol loses her job?  Yes, simply because she works for a non profit, one I am sure that is scrounging for the fewer donation dollars out there, and she is trying to steer the volunteers into giving to HER SON and is taking it farther each time and could end up damaging the charity's , that she earns her paycheck from,reputation and good name.  If I found out a charity I supported had someone on their payroll who was soliciting for her own personal gain, I would find another charity to give to because I would wonder if she wasn't diverting my donations to herself.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #482 on: December 04, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »
Plus, posters have expressed sympathy for Carol.  I do think she deserves to lose her job, but I do feel sorry for her, too.  A happy and fulfilled woman doesn't live through her own child the way she's doing.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #483 on: December 04, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
I was hoping for an update that said Connor was in the play and was so talented and charismatic that he stole the show.

It sounds like Carol is losing it, and that's sad, but each of us is responsible for our behavior, no matter what the circumstances.  I don't sympathize with people who can't admit they're wrong, who get aggressive when they should be apologetic, and who won't get help when they need it. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Otterpop

« Reply #484 on: December 04, 2013, 12:06:34 PM »
I see Carol as someone who abused her position, is unrepentant, and should be disciplined.  Way too often, people in supervisory positions exploit those underneath and get away with it.  Being an employee/supervisor and pressuring volunteers to financially contribute to her rude, ill-behaved son's aspirations is particularly egregious.  She sees these people as a potential piggy bank.

So...looking for updates is not gleefully wishing for someone's downfall, it's hoping for justice and resolution.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:10:21 PM by Otterpop »

kansha

« Reply #485 on: December 04, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »
Well, I for one, am happy M attended the play - for whatever reasons.  I hate not knowing what happens.  It's like never seeing the end of a movie.

I am also confused about whether or not Connor had a part in the play and what kind of part.  Most the kids I've ever seen who are talented actually do enjoy it.  You'd  never hear them complaining they don't want to be in a play.
the 'i didn't want to be in it anyway' sounds like he MIGHT have had a part but was replaced for being disruptive or not taking direction?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #486 on: December 04, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »
Well, I for one, am happy M attended the play - for whatever reasons.  I hate not knowing what happens.  It's like never seeing the end of a movie.

I am also confused about whether or not Connor had a part in the play and what kind of part.  Most the kids I've ever seen who are talented actually do enjoy it.  You'd  never hear them complaining they don't want to be in a play.
the 'i didn't want to be in it anyway' sounds like he MIGHT have had a part but was replaced for being disruptive or not taking direction?

Now that's making stuff up, I think.

it could just as easily mean that he never did get a part but was feeling stung about that. "Sour grapes," essentially, when you devalue something in order to feel better about not having it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #487 on: December 04, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
Course there's also the possibility he never really did want to be in it at all and his mother keeps pushing it because she thinks he should want it, or has dreams for him that he doesn't share.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #488 on: December 04, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
I would say it's one of those three.

1. He had a part, but lost it (due to behavior, Carol, the full moon, whatever), so he "didn't even want it!"
2. He auditioned, was not cast, so "whatever, I never wanted the stupid part!"
3. He doesn't give a rat's hiney about acting but his mother is living out her dreams through him, thus "I don't want to be in the play!" as an earnest statement. He doesn't want to be in the play.

There's no real way to know for sure, but all are possibilities. Or maybe he was just being a kid, said the first thing that popped in his head to something the other kid said and had no real meaning behind it.

johelenc1

« Reply #489 on: December 04, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »
For the record, although I am happy for updates because I like to know how things turn out, I am not necessarily hoping Carol get first. 

I think someone earlier nailed it when they mentioned something about justice and resolution.  If someone like Carol is acting inappropriately, then that behavior should be stopped by whatever powers that be in whatever way is effective.  If its someone like K'nnihave, we hope someone (like Roe!) puts their foot down and stops allowing her to take advantage.  Actually, in many of the situations, it's often one person taking advantage of someone else in some way or another.    Even, Carol - she is taking advantage of her fellow employees/co-workers to bully them into supporting her son.  This is unfair and wrong. 

In the end, I'm not really invested in whether Carol gets fired or not, but I do think her behavior should be stopped - for the sake of the people she affects - including the OP.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #490 on: December 05, 2013, 12:21:45 AM »
I see Carol as someone who abused her position, is unrepentant, and should be disciplined.  Way too often, people in supervisory positions exploit those underneath and get away with it.  Being an employee/supervisor and pressuring volunteers to financially contribute to her rude, ill-behaved son's aspirations is particularly egregious.  She sees these people as a potential piggy bank.

So...looking for updates is not gleefully wishing for someone's downfall, it's hoping for justice and resolution.

POD.

Goosey

« Reply #491 on: December 05, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
I think there's quite a difference between looking for updates that come along HERE and going out to look for updates to share with people Carol is going to run into in her work life.

One is an internet forum. The other is personal

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #492 on: December 05, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
That I will agree with.  It kind of did seem a bit antagonistic that Madeleine showed up after the confrontation in the parking lot. If it had been OP or someone who'd tried to hold Madeleine back I'd feel differently.

MommySloth

« Reply #493 on: December 05, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
I think it could've been interpreted as antagonistic for Madeline to show up at the play, but also that Carol (having invited her, along with everyone else who received flyers) had no right to be aggressive toward her. I wonder if she'd have behaved that way toward the OP, Jessie, or anyone else who had showed up; I feel she probably would've assumed badly about ANY volunteer who showed up, because she seems to be the martyr type.

It also seems to me that Madeline is a volunteer dedicated to her cause, and she probably foresees the negative consequences for the organization if Carol should manage to drive a significant number of volunteers away. Not that this is necessarily true, but she may feel that this justifies her attendance at the play. She also might have been trying to make amends. We just can't really know.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #494 on: December 05, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
Just in the interest of academic speculation, I think it could be profitable to imagine what advice EHell would give to Madeleine if she was the OP. So she starts out by talking about how her boss mysteriously asked them to stay after work and turned it into a solicitation for her son, and did not graciously accept people leaving. Someone (Madeleine? I've forgotten now) reported this, Carol was chided by her bosses, but sent only a grudging non-apology. (Was that Madeleine again who reported it?) Next the anonymous flyers, which are suspicious but not provable, then Carol hamfistedly outs herself and Madeleine, our OP, is very angry about this, has a verbal altercation with Carol about it, and ends up reporting Carol to the bosses (possibly for the third time).

Then Madeleine says, "Should I go to the play?"
~Lynn2000