News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 25, 2016, 08:30:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's your advice? Service industry workers with captive audiences  (Read 2311 times)

oogyda

Re: What's your advice? Service industry workers with captive audiences
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »
The dental office I go to has several dentists and several hygienists.  I don't really care who I see when I go in, but I WILL NOT see one particular hygeienist.  I have expressed my reasons to the office manager and it is in my record not to schedule me with her.

One time there was a mix up and she was to clean my teeth.  I saw the office manager's door was open, so I knocked, went in and asked if they would get someone else or should I just leave (without being charged).  They put me with someone else since I was willing to wait another 15 minutes to start.

So....report it to whomever you can.  If they can't accommodate your request for someone besides her make it clear that is the reason you will be leaving their practice.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

pattycake

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 02:01:53 PM »
I am fortunate at my dentist's office that the hygienist makes her own appointments in the system, so I don't have to worry about getting someone else! So maybe if you do have the option of choosing a different one, she can make the next appointments for you too. The only problem for me is that certain hygienists are assigned to certain dentists, and I would prefer the other dentist. He's not a bad dentist, though, just kinda odd. My friend who goes to the same practice didn't care for her hygienist so I told her to specifically ask for mine, and she did and they had no problem with that. Doesn't hurt to ask for someone else, for sure.

GardenGal

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 08:01:51 PM »
I just got home 10 minutes ago from having my teeth cleaned, and the procedure, with full x-rays and a very quick check-up by the dentist took one hour (I'm in Southern California).  If the hygienist had started talking about something I wasn't interested in hearing, either politics or how fabulous his kids were at underwater basketball, or really anything at all, I would have stopped the monologue right away and asked for quiet, please. It's tough enough being poked and prodded and keeping my mouth open for an hour without having to endure small talk that I don't appreciate.  Even with a late start and your estimate that you spent the first 10 minutes replying, that is still half an hour longer than necessary and I agree with PP that I'd complain to the dentist and be clear that I didn't want that hygienist ever again.

You're the customer, you're paying for a service, and you shouldn't have to put up with unwelcome comments or similar 1-sided conversations you don't want to hear when you're a captive audience. That goes for when you're getting a massage, a haircut or nail appointment, or anything else. Just speak up as soon as you're bothered. You could say something like, "Please change the topic to something more relaxing instead of politics (or whatever), or it's fine with me if we don't converse at all as I'm trying to de-stress."

Sharnita

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »
She will take care of it herself. A dentist needs to get patients in and out at a faster rate or he is going to lose money. What he pays on salaries, water, electricity, insurance, etc. sure doesn't get covered in a cleaning every 2 hours.

Sapphire23

• I'm a smart cookie!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 08:05:58 PM »

This office offers free whitening and I'm not sure of the entire process but they have to "make trays" (fit mouthpieces to my teeth) and I'll be returning in about 10 days just to get that done. Allegedly, it will be a "quick" appointment.

I'd bring headphones and an Ipod with me just in case.
You are confined only by the walls you build yourself.

magicdomino

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »

I'd bring headphones and an Ipod with me just in case.

I often do this anyway because the ceiling gets boring after a while.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »
I thought my hygienist was a talker!  I went to school with my hygienist, and we are both really into crafts.  So she talks away, BUT - always less than an hour, and I have a problem with tartar buildup, so it is reasonable.

Two hours is ridiculous, and any service professional who does not know to stay away from discussing politics or religion is going to hit a nerve literally and figuratively someday.  Since you said the others in the office were kind of giving her the stink eye when you came out, I think a quick word with either the dentist or an office manager is in order.  She is going to drive patients away.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

tjika

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 01:10:55 PM »
I'm amazed at the time your appointments take.

I'm from the netherlands and my appointment at the hygienist ussually takes 5-10 minutes then a few minutes for the dentist to check for cavities. (we dont take x-rays every year)

I work for a medical facturing company and see a lot of dentist/hygienists bills each day. A cleaning is billed per 5 minutes, and almost always its only 5 or 10 minutes. I'm always surprised when I see a bill for 30 minutes and wonder if its correct.

Zizi-K

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 01:21:32 PM »
I'm amazed at the time your appointments take.

I'm from the netherlands and my appointment at the hygienist ussually takes 5-10 minutes then a few minutes for the dentist to check for cavities. (we dont take x-rays every year)

I work for a medical facturing company and see a lot of dentist/hygienists bills each day. A cleaning is billed per 5 minutes, and almost always its only 5 or 10 minutes. I'm always surprised when I see a bill for 30 minutes and wonder if its correct.

30 minutes sounds right. I just had a teeth cleaning appointment on Friday. These would be regularly scheduled every 6 months. They carefully scrape the teeth front and back (usually concentrating between the teeth, not really the faces). That can take 20 minutes. Then they polish the teeth (5 minutes), and floss (2 minutes). Then the dentist comes in and checks the work (another 5 minutes). If you have xrays, that would take longer. Between all of that and making the next appt, it is usually 45min to an hour from walking in to walking out.

Bijou

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2016, 09:03:16 PM »
Two hours!  Yikes!  Our tooth cleaning lady talks and talks and talks and I just grunt because I can't talk with her hands in my mouth, but not for that long!  I can't do much so I just let her blabber on.  I figure it's once every 6 months or a year so I just know I'll spend the time.   My husband's appointment always follows mine so I know she has another obligation.  Then she talks his ear off.   If it bothered me I might hesitate to say something to her, for fear it might cause her to do a less thorough job, if she felt pressured by time.  If it were an issue for me and I had a choice I might ask for another person next time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:06:02 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

crazycatlady331

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 06:08:03 PM »
Disclaimer-- I have an unhealthy fear of dentists and need gas/sedation for a routine cleaning.

I had to have extensive dental work done in my early 20s (right before I was going off my dad's insurance).  Other than being in a compromised state (gas) the dentist advised me to bring along a portable music player and headphones so I could listen to music during the procedure.  It definitely relaxed me (and the gas made me fall asleep).  Instead of suffering through a hellish procedure, I fell asleep to my favorite bands and it definitely made the visit tolerable.

Is there any way to bring along your phone/iPod and headphones when you are having dental work done?  Headphones seem to be the universal symbol for 'don't talk to me.'   I only wish portable music players were as ubiquitous as they are now when I was a child.  I had an orthodontist sing (off key) to the radio whenever he was with a patient.

Bijou

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 06:38:47 PM »
Disclaimer-- I have an unhealthy fear of dentists and need gas/sedation for a routine cleaning.

I had to have extensive dental work done in my early 20s (right before I was going off my dad's insurance).  Other than being in a compromised state (gas) the dentist advised me to bring along a portable music player and headphones so I could listen to music during the procedure.  It definitely relaxed me (and the gas made me fall asleep).  Instead of suffering through a hellish procedure, I fell asleep to my favorite bands and it definitely made the visit tolerable.

Is there any way to bring along your phone/iPod and headphones when you are having dental work done?  Headphones seem to be the universal symbol for 'don't talk to me.'   I only wish portable music players were as ubiquitous as they are now when I was a child.  I had an orthodontist sing (off key) to the radio whenever he was with a patient.
People at work used to do this to keep the inconsiderate chatters at bay!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 09:52:55 PM »
OP here

I will ask if I can bring headphones next time. I suspect that I can. I know I've used in them in the past, as a PP mentioned, to prevent coworkers from chatting at me while I'm trying to do work, or to keep strangers on the commuter train from trying to convert me to their religions.

But the dentist's office is one of the few places that I have actually looked forward to going. Unlike seeing physicians for my health issue where the discussion is frustrating and depressing, I like seeing dentists because I have great teeth. And I like hearing their praise because they usually spend a lot of time commending me for what a great job I've done taking care of them.

I actually don't mind chatty hygienists but I think it's the talk of controversy and religion that made me uncomfortable. And the fact that a normally short appointment took twice as long as it should have.

So I think I will talk to the front office about giving me a different hygienist and I'll probably mention why, in the most diplomatic way I can.

Runningstar

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 05:04:40 AM »
OP here
So I think I will talk to the front office about giving me a different hygienist and I'll probably mention why, in the most diplomatic way I can.

Great!  I like when a customer gives a place to fix a problem rather than just leaving.  I'd suggest to just be factual - it's not about her dental skills, but she takes too long due to her talking so much.

Margo

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:43 AM »
I agree.  Give the office the chance to address it, and also give them the tools to address it with their employee - they may, of course, chose to dismiss her but if they hve specifc issues and feedback they can use these to train her, so it may actually help her by letting the employer deal directly with the probelms rather than ended up letting her go beacuse she is unpopular but they can't address specifcally why clients don't want to see her.