News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 05, 2015, 05:55:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 329962 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2460 on: February 20, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »
Art, if you don't play any search and find computer games, I won't to go any real baseball or football games.

I love the computer games and they exercise my mind. They are just fun.

I think spectator sports are pointless.  Good for the players, but why do people care?

So, I guess it is a mystery to me why people care about other people playing sports.

I think you might have misdirected this...it looks like Art does play a lot of HO games!

It sounded to me as if he played one are two and thinks they are ridiculous not quite to his idea of fun. I like them because they are good exercise and just silly sometimes.  :)

Maybe he will answer.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2461 on: February 20, 2015, 12:56:42 PM »
Art, I just snorted ice tea out my nose reading your list.   I DO love Hidden Object and Escape Games, but it's those little details that make me wonder about the alternate reality the people live in.  One of my favorite escape game sites is Melting Mindz.  And It is a complete mystery to me why I can pick up the gold coins  (that kind of allows you to see your score along the way) that are, say, hidden in tree tops and on roof tops without trouble--but I need to find the ladder in order to get the key that is right next to the gold coin I just picked off the same roof top. 

Also, I've been playing a bunch of HO games in which a person appears to one side of the screen (and have been created to appear as if they are breathing, which is creepy) and tells you you need to help clear out the tent of the following items in order to help catch the bad guy.  How is me finding the broken tea pot helping to catch the bad guy?  Clearly, he doesn't have it, it has no magic over him, and it doesn't carry a clue inside--it's just part of the rubbish-filled vista before me.  So what connection does it have to the theme?

I know it's a game and I know I'm being silly, and I really am utterly addicted to them beyond measure (which is why I gave them up for Lent and let me tell you, it's a bigger struggle not to play them than it is not to eat chocolate) but I keep thinking there is a story opportunity that's lost.  (HOW did the chocolate handprint get on the windowsill to begin with?)

Luci, I've read enough of Art's posts to believe that the post was meant to be fondly funny as my initial post was.  Like I said, I love these games myself, but when I stop to think about the logic, "traditional" me goes "what?????"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:59:04 PM by Yarnspinner »

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2462 on: February 20, 2015, 11:22:12 PM »
Art, if you don't play any search and find computer games, I won't to go any real baseball or football games.

I love the computer games and they exercise my mind. They are just fun.

I think spectator sports are pointless.  Good for the players, but why do people care?

So, I guess it is a mystery to me why people care about other people playing sports.

I think you might have misdirected this...it looks like Art does play a lot of HO games!

It sounded to me as if he played one are two and thinks they are ridiculous not quite to his idea of fun. I like them because they are good exercise and just silly sometimes.  :)

Maybe he will answer.

I am personally keeping Big Fish Games in business; I'm sure that I have several hundred dollars worth of HO games on my computer at this very moment. Other than refereeing soccer and watching my son play hockey, I haven't been to a sports event in years.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2463 on: February 23, 2015, 09:38:16 AM »
I'm starting to think the foot of my bed is a portal to another dimension.

2 summers ago, some child size life jackets were put on the foot of my bed for me to put away later.  They completely disappeared and have never been found.  They are not small things to lose.

Last week, my MIL washed some clothes and a pair of jeans belonging to my oldest got mixed up in the laundry.  She said she put them on the foot of my bed.  I didn't discover they were missing until I was putting laundry away on Saturday.

Poof.  Gone.  I have torn my room apart thinking maybe they got put away with my stuff.  I've scoured under the bed.  I've gone through their closet several times to make sure they weren't put on some random hanger and hiding.  I've even gone through their dress up clothes bin to make sure it didn't wind up in there.

Yep.  A portal is the only logical explanation here.

squeakers

« Reply #2464 on: February 23, 2015, 11:42:54 AM »
I am personally keeping Big Fish Games in business; I'm sure that I have several hundred dollars worth of HO games on my computer at this very moment. Other than refereeing soccer and watching my son play hockey, I haven't been to a sports event in years.

I can save you and other HOG players some money.  Also Time Management players, the occasional RPG, Gem Swap, Match 3 and a few games that don't fit any of those categories.  Just check on Saturday and Sundays (sometimes both, sometimes just one of the days) at http://game.giveawayoftheday.com/   Game companies donate older games and newer games (they appreciate feedback in case of bugs or aesthetics).

Yesterday was Path of Hercules.  Just to walk folks through how to get the game: on the main page it will list the game.  You can click the name (in yellow) or click where it says "more". On the next page you click where it says how many comments (49 as of now). That takes you to WhiteRabbit's review of the game.  On Saturdays or Sundays when the games are being given away you would scroll up from there to find the actual download link.

At the end of WhiteRabbit's review for the game he also includes links to other places to get free games, semi-free games (toolbars/pop-up windows etc) and games that are on sale.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2465 on: February 23, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »

I can save you and other HOG players some money.  Also Time Management players, the occasional RPG, Gem Swap, Match 3 and a few games that don't fit any of those categories.  Just check on Saturday and Sundays (sometimes both, sometimes just one of the days) at http://game.giveawayoftheday.com/   Game companies donate older games and newer games (they appreciate feedback in case of bugs or aesthetics).

Thanks Art and squeakers!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #2466 on: Yesterday at 04:27:19 PM »
There is a series of HO games on Big Fish where you inherit an old mansion.  You are supposed to renovate the place, and to get the money, you have to hold a rummage sale.  But unlike a regular rummage sale, you have customers with lists of items they are willing to pay good money for: 20 gold coins for a crumpled paper.  20 gold coins for a Victrola.  20 gold coins for a doughnut.

Everything is 20 gold coins?  Garbage is 20 gold coins.  Collectibles are 20 gold coins.  A doughnut which has been in the garage for who knows how long is 20 gold coins.

There is also another series of HO games called Love Chronicles, which is rather sweet.  Most of the stories center around an older person solving a mystery to reunite with a long lost love.  But this brought up a question I have.  Many of these games were created outside the US, and must be translated into English.  Isn't anyone available to proofread these games?  How can you look for a "bage" when you don't know what it is?  (BTW, it was not the "badge" in the center of the screen, it was the "bagel" hanging from the fishing pole).

Anyway, Love Chronicles had my favorite typo of all time: "I was hungry and decided to make a snack.  I filled my bowel with popcorn."  (After a moment of horror, I realized they meant bowl).

Seriously, for $20 a game, I will proofread the dialogue and words in these games, and I guarantee I am better than any computer driven proofreading program.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2467 on: Yesterday at 04:58:30 PM »
Not only can I not remember where I put the thingamabob, I now can't remember what the thingamabob even is. ::) I remember that yesterday I was frantically searching for it, though. So either it was something unimportant that I got worked up over, or it's something important that will come back to haunt me eventually...
~Lynn2000

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2468 on: Yesterday at 07:45:48 PM »
I have a German-made science game, and I know it is German because they actually forgot to translate bits of it. :P At this point, I think I would prefer they didn't do any of it, since I can read a bit of German but I can't for the life of me figure out some of their translations!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.