News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 29, 2016, 12:34:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 465085 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2700 on: September 27, 2016, 10:26:40 AM »
That actually looks like a quarter of a molar broke off.

Maybe someone sneezed or coughed and sent a flying chunk of their broken tooth sailing into your bag. Otherwise, I've got nothing.

Well, we've seen stranger things/explanations, but it was found folded in that post-it...

Ah, I missed that part. Maybe someone was saving it to take to the dentist then, lost it, and you accidentally picked it up???
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Thenerdwithtehninetails

• My Deviantart
« Reply #2701 on: September 27, 2016, 02:09:33 PM »
Where are all my sewing needles disappearing to? The few I bring around with me I almost never lose (and its not odd if I do), but the ones I keep in my room seem to always keep going on vacation and not returning.

Similarly, I'm convinced Nintendo has a magic vacuum that steals styluses >:D, thus why I'm constantly buying new ones for my 3DS.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
~Groucho Marx

Carotte

« Reply #2702 on: September 27, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
Where are all my sewing needles disappearing to? The few I bring around with me I almost never lose (and its not odd if I do), but the ones I keep in my room seem to always keep going on vacation and not returning.

Oh this one has sometimes an explanation! One you'd figure out eventually when you start working again but it still gets me every now and then.
Mine sometimes stick up along the edge of the scissors and wait there while I spend ages carefully looking all around my desk and on the floor and on my lap...

Thenerdwithtehninetails

• My Deviantart
« Reply #2703 on: September 27, 2016, 05:58:13 PM »

Oh this one has sometimes an explanation! One you'd figure out eventually when you start working again but it still gets me every now and then.
Mine sometimes stick up along the edge of the scissors and wait there while I spend ages carefully looking all around my desk and on the floor and on my lap...

One of my pairs of scissors is magnetic so I can usually find some there. But as for the others, their location is unknown and I've lost nearly an entire sets worth of them (I don't use the ones with the super big eyes, so about the equivalent of a set), I'm just glad they're so cheap.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
~Groucho Marx

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2704 on: September 27, 2016, 09:43:05 PM »
This strange comment, which I've gotten more than once in my life. I'm not sure how people come to the conclusion of "You have a thick Southern accent, you must be from New York or the Midwest."  ???

"Are you from the Midwest ? There's something about your accent that sounds like you are. You're not ? Are you from New York then ? Because I definitely hear a bit of New York accent in there. No ? Oh, you're from Virginia ? Yeah, I thought so. You sound like people from Virginia. I know people from there & you sort of sound like them."

Mal

« Reply #2705 on: Yesterday at 08:27:55 AM »
People tell me my accent makes me sound like I might be from Russia. Or India. You know, because the languages of those countries sound completely alike...  :o

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2706 on: Yesterday at 11:25:46 AM »

One of my pairs of scissors is magnetic so I can usually find some there. But as for the others, their location is unknown and I've lost nearly an entire sets worth of them (I don't use the ones with the super big eyes, so about the equivalent of a set), I'm just glad they're so cheap.

A sewing teacher mentions that she was going to throw out a really old pincushion...the fabric was dry rotted and about to allow the sawdust to escape....for curiousity's sake, she cut it open on a tray...and found a lot of missing needles.  The number mentioned was over twelve but under 80...it had previously been her mother's pincushion, so there was no telling how long it had been since the pincushion ate them.

I made a pincushion with a tiny basket, a roll of wool felt strips, an a bit of cotton tucked in around the top of the wool strips.  I can pull the fabric off and unroll the wool felt to check for missing needles.  I have found only 1 or 2 - the felt doesn't swallow needles the way the sawdust does.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

GardenGal

« Reply #2707 on: Yesterday at 06:08:48 PM »
A friend told me that sometimes we can look right at something & not see it....

This isn't a mystery, but my personal example at looking at something and not seeing it.  I left the house to drive to work one morning about 25 years ago, and the car was back a dozen feet or so from where I remembered parking it. Strange, but, okay, I know my memory isn't great.  I open the driver's side door and don't get into the car - I just stand there and look at it.  I can tell that something is very wrong, but for probably 15-20 seconds (maybe more) I can't figure out what the problem is. All of a sudden it is like a light bulb goes on in a dark room - someone has stolen both seats from the front of the car. It was like my brain couldn't interpret what it was seeing while I was staring right at it - total incomprehension on my part. The police wouldn't even come to take a report, as this was such a common theft at the time (San Diego in the late 1980s).  :(  They laughed when I asked about taking fingerprints. Fortunately, my insurance covered the cost, but it was a lesson in what the eye can't always "see."

Twik

« Reply #2708 on: Today at 08:37:18 AM »
A friend told me that sometimes we can look right at something & not see it....

This isn't a mystery, but my personal example at looking at something and not seeing it.  I left the house to drive to work one morning about 25 years ago, and the car was back a dozen feet or so from where I remembered parking it. Strange, but, okay, I know my memory isn't great.  I open the driver's side door and don't get into the car - I just stand there and look at it.  I can tell that something is very wrong, but for probably 15-20 seconds (maybe more) I can't figure out what the problem is. All of a sudden it is like a light bulb goes on in a dark room - someone has stolen both seats from the front of the car. It was like my brain couldn't interpret what it was seeing while I was staring right at it - total incomprehension on my part. The police wouldn't even come to take a report, as this was such a common theft at the time (San Diego in the late 1980s).  :(  They laughed when I asked about taking fingerprints. Fortunately, my insurance covered the cost, but it was a lesson in what the eye can't always "see."

I've had that exact reaction for even more obvious issues, like a smashed-in window. "Wait - the glass shouldn't be lying on the ground all around my car. Should it?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mustard

« Reply #2709 on: Today at 09:06:11 AM »
My daughter's colleague got into his car to drive home, turned on the ignition,put it in gear, checked the mirror before driving off... and then realised someone had nicked the steering wheel!

GreenHall

« Reply #2710 on: Today at 10:22:52 AM »

A sewing teacher mentions that she was going to throw out a really old pincushion...the fabric was dry rotted and about to allow the sawdust to escape....for curiousity's sake, she cut it open on a tray...and found a lot of missing needles.  The number mentioned was over twelve but under 80...it had previously been her mother's pincushion, so there was no telling how long it had been since the pincushion ate them.

I made a pincushion with a tiny basket, a roll of wool felt strips, an a bit of cotton tucked in around the top of the wool strips.  I can pull the fabric off and unroll the wool felt to check for missing needles.  I have found only 1 or 2 - the felt doesn't swallow needles the way the sawdust does.
I was playing with one my grandmother had that my great-grandmother had made (her MIL).  It was stuffed with hair!*  I pulled A LOT of needles out of that, some with some rust, most not.  And the occasional piece of hair. 

*I cannot remember now if this was explained to me, or I 'deduced' it on my own, but my understanding is that as women did not wash their hair as often, there was more oil on the hair, which was good for the needles.  Or something.