News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 02, 2015, 01:41:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grr... When people keep you waiting...  (Read 5063 times)

TracyXJ

Re: Grr... When people keep you waiting...
« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 10:00:21 AM »
Thought of another one: my cousin's wife started getting her hair styled five minutes after the start time of her wedding. At least she was getting ready on-site (hotel wedding/reception). The hairdresser was one of the bridesmaids, so it wasn't like she was late getting there or anything. The bride was doing her own makeup and got really fussy about it, I guess, and decided to start again, and wanted her makeup done before her hair started. For that reason, and a few others, the wedding ended up starting nearly an hour late.

I nearly had a delay at my wedding due to hair.  I had an appointment to get my hair done, my mom's hair, and my mom's nails.  We arrived on time for our appointment and my hairdresser was just finishing up with her client.  Ok, a few minutes delay is fine.  My mom heads to the back with a different person to get her nails started (they're supposed to get done while my hair is being done, then my mom's hair would be done).  But now the stylist is telling her current client that they are running a special and since she had a cut and style (it was just blown out), she could get one of these little things put in her hair.  It looked like some sort of little colorful fake hair extension.  The lady is now debating with her daughter what color to get and getting that done.  Meanwhile I'm sitting here wondering when are we getting started on my hair.  I kind of have somewhere I'm supposed to be at a certain time!  At least have an assistant start straightening my hair or something!

My mom's nails got done and I was still sitting there waiting.  My mom was supposed to get her hair washed and styled, but had to just have it quickly sprayed and blown dry for us to make it in time to pick up my dress and get to the wedding site in time to have makeup done. 

Miss Understood

« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 11:14:44 PM »
I have a friend from high school ("Diana") who was notoriously late for everything.  She and I were assigned to be partners in a project for Civics class - we were tasked with interviewing someone in an embassy.  I set it up and told Diana to meet me at the Metro station (the one closest to both our homes) at a certain time, and emphasized that the lady at the embassy was doing us a favor and would be waiting for us, so she had to be on time.  I also gave her an earlier than necessary time because I knew she would be late and I was not going to be late for the appointment.  And I didn't want to go alone because I was 16 and a bit shy to interview such a person by myself.

So I am waiting, waiting, waiting, as trains go by, and no Diana.  So finally I went by myself because I was totally unwilling to be late for embassy lady, and interviewed her myself - only to find Diana rushing in at the last minute (when the interview was pretty much over) and receiving the same credit for it that I did, even though she did nothing.

The ironic thing is that we are still long-distance friends and when I met with her a few months ago, she was there before me so maybe she has changed her ways.

Miss Understood

« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 11:33:48 PM »
Sorry for the double posts but since they are separate situations I thought I'd keep the posts separate. 

DH and I live in a lovely but antiquated apartment which has only one bathroom.  I have long hair and he has very little hair so when we are going out together we schedule our bathroom time so that we can both be ready to go at the same time.  I used to tend to be the delayer of the two of us because of sleeping in, hair, makeup, accessorizing, etc. 

Now, however, I really try to get ready on the dot and usually succeed - but what I find is that he's not completely ready!  I do all my getting ready and am literally at the door, which he was too a minute ago, but suddenly there are a couple of things he needs to take care of.  In the warmer months it's not a real problem since I can just hang around waiting for him, but in winter it is really annoying since I already have my coat/scarf/hat/gloves/boots on in a heated apartment and I don't know how long the "couple things" might take before I burst into flames.

Biscuitgirl

« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 11:51:42 PM »
My first ex husband was a late guy too.  The kicker is his dad is a high ranking military guy.  So growing up as a military brat you'd think he would be early.  Nope.  We were late to every family get together if it wasn't at our house. I was brought up to always be early.  No such thing as fashionably late.

We would do the polite thing and tell the family not to wait up and start eating without us.  I guess they thought they were being polite because they never would.  Then they would complain loudly about it.  Oh well not something I have to worry about anymore since we aren't together.  Now his new wife will have to make do.

pattycake

« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 11:55:40 PM »
Friends of mine. Love 'em to death but honest to goodness they'll be late for their own funerals, I am sure. They invite me over for a meal at a certain time. I get there on time - they're still doing housework or yard work or whatever... meal is not ready for a couple hours. Now I absolutely do not arrive early to visit before, and I make sure that I have the previous meal less than 3 or 4 hours before going to their place so that it will tide me over that extra hour or so. But they are good enough friends that I have been known to just go to the pantry and grab something! Often we are waiting for the husband to get home; he's self-employed and his work can be erratic.

Or, same friends, you're supposed to go somewhere with them, or pick them up, or take their kids somewhere... yeah, the last time they asked if I would take the kids with me to church (I forget where they went) I told them, the Pattycake train leaves at 8 am sharp. NOT 8:05 or 8:15. So, I was driving down the road to look down the highway to see if I could see them at 8:05, and she turned the corner and I think was very shocked to see me driving off. They are now somewhat better about being on time when they are asking me to do a favor!

What bugs me the most though is the chronically late either say "Oh that's just me! hee hee!" or they hear other people say "Oh that's just the So-and-Soes" and they are allowed to get away with it just because they always have. I have gotten better about being absolutely firm on time with them. He was only 5 minutes late last time he asked me and his daughter to wait to give him a ride home after he dropped a car off for someone - I was very firm with him - his daughter HAD to be at work at a certain time and if he was late, she would be late! She told me she tries very hard not to be like him in that respect for which I am very thankful as I have had to pick her up or drop her off a few times and she has been very prompt. (She hasn't got her driver's yet, just her learners, and they don't live very far from me. )