News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 13, 2016, 05:45:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you cry at "silly" stuff?  (Read 82 times)

jpcher

Do you cry at "silly" stuff?
« on: Today at 04:04:04 PM »
"Silly" being stuff that there's really no reason to cry about. Nothing sad, like funerals or tragedy stories and the like, but movies or songs . . .

I went to a super bowl party and intentionally showed up after the game started because I knew that I would tear up during the national anthem. I always do. All it takes is me hearing "Ooh say can" and my eyes start watering. Later in the week, in the privacy of my own home, I watched the video of Lady Gaga's performance which, I thought, was phenomenal. Oh.my.goodness the tears flowed. I was very happy that I didn't go to the party earlier and watched that performance with a group of people. I would have been very embarrassed by my tears.

Pomp and Circumstance (the graduation walk music) is another one that immediately triggers tears. I don't even have to be at a loved-one's graduation ceremony, I could be watching a movie and when that music starts playing? I cry.

Whitney Houston's song "I will always love you" . . . One morning I got into work early, combination-lock door closed, lights off, music loud and Whitney came on with that song. Tears were flowing. Being that it was so early in the morning I was surprised when someone came in. I quickly turned down the music but had to turn away in order to wipe off my tears. :-[ Yeah, Whitney's been taken off of my Pandora play list.

I never used to be a crier at silly stuff . . . except for when I was 11 years old and I read "Gone with the Wind." There's a few tear-stained pages in that book which I still have, but when my mother took me to see the movie? No tears.

I went to see the movie "ET" with a friend of mine who had already seen it. She warned me to bring tissues because "you will cry." Nope. No tears from me, but she was bawling like a baby.

The first time I cried at a movie was when I was 32 yrs old and pregnant with DD#1. LDH took me to see "City Slickers." When Norman was caught in the river and Billy Crystal saved him? Yup. Lots-o-tears.

A few weeks later we watch "Edward Scissorhands" and it surprised me that I cried.

I don't normally cry at funerals or tragedy situations, maybe because a part of me needs to be stoic and the shoulder for others to cry on.

What about you? Do you cry at silly stuff?

If so, I'm curious as to why?

mamakinz

Re: Do you cry at "silly" stuff?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:26:13 PM »
[quote author=jpcher link=topic=140360.msg3391831#msg3391831 date=1455401044

I don't normally cry at funerals or tragedy situations, maybe because a part of me needs to be stoic and the shoulder for others to cry on.

What about you? Do you cry at silly stuff?

If so, I'm curious as to why?
[/quote]

I think that might just be the reason! I'm almost always tho one "being strong" for everyone else!

Several songs get me every time -- Edelweiss from The Sound of Music, Amazing Grace and absolutely our National anthem -- I was at work to see Lady Gaga's performance at the SuperBowl and still got teary-eyed.
Movies always get me -- good parts and sad parts.  And don't get me started on the stupid Folgers coffee commercials that always air at Christmas time!!

rose red

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:08:27 PM »
I cry at everything sentimental. The last time was the Christmas car commercial (I forget which brand) where the elderly man was waiting for his family's visit, but it was snow storming too much. Just as he was sadly putting away the fancy silverware, headlights are seen pulling up outside! Cue children and grandchildren running in. Ahhhhhh. So good (and manipulative ;)) that I'm tearing up just typing it out.

If you know what commercial I'm talking about, please help me out and link it. Thank you.

eta: Nevermind. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zu9OCQ4pPY
« Last Edit: Today at 05:13:48 PM by rose red »

Mustard

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:23:46 PM »
I'm not a classical music fan, but I always try to catch 'Land of hope and glory' when the BBC shows 'The Last of the Proms' for the patriotic singing.  I didn't know the U.S. had 'pinched' Sir Edward Elgar's 'Pomp and Circumstance' for graduation ceremonies!

The singing starts a few minutes in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEWpK_Dl7M

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:26:21 PM »
Hallmark commercials.

There is one particular one where a woman comes into the office of her favourite university professor as he's packing up his office, heading off to retirement.  She has a card for him that he makes her read to him because he can't find his glasses.  She talks about how much he influenced her and that she was now a teacher, thanks to him.

She leaves and he picks his glasses right up off his desk to read the card again.

First time I saw that, I bawled.  But then, my Dad was a teacher.  Though I didn't go to his elementary school, I went to high school with his students.  And they all had nice things to say about him.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Asharah

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:42:54 PM »
As a child I used to cry over "Puff The Magic Dragon"
Asharah