News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 20, 2017, 08:33:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3433142 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11280 on: August 05, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »
If you really need it, though, in the US there are various pack-n-ship shops that also have mail boxes, and can receive UPS and FedEx in addition to USPS.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

« Reply #11281 on: August 06, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
If you really need it, though, in the US there are various pack-n-ship shops that also have mail boxes, and can receive UPS and FedEx in addition to USPS.

Including The UPS Store. :D If I'm not mistaken they purchased the Mailboxes, Inc brand of stores

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #11282 on: August 07, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »
That happened to me two weeks ago.  I was expecting delivery of some packages, one of which was a smartphone.  I had received several emails that UPS would be delivering between 1 pm and 5 pm, and the emails sternly warned: A responsible adult must be present to sign for the package!

So I was home all day.  Absolutely nothing.  Then about 6:15 om, I heard noise at the front door.  My sister (who had arrived home by then) rushed to the door in time to see the UPS truck driving away, and my packages sitting unsecured on the porch.

So I did get my new phone.  But what if we hadn't heard anything, and a neighbor had stolen the phone.  Any "signature" would have been forged, and I am not certain what recourse I would have had.

I used to have a PO Box when I was working because an Amazon shipment of books delivered by USPS was stolen from my porch, and my books were torn up and thrown around the street (the thief was probably frustrated by what was inside the box).  The only reason I found out what happened was because a neighbor found part of the box which had my name and address on it, and returned it to me.

So now I am home, and I have found that for the time being, my USPS carrier is very responsible (she knocks at the door and attempts to secrete the package if no one answers), and the UPS driver who has my route is just the opposite.

Even if I still had my PO Box, if a seller ships UPS and requires a signature, UPS will not deliver to the post office where the PO Box is.

We do have a PO Box (very few people in our town are given the choice for home delivery) and both UPS and FedEx just make me crazy. Both say they won't deliver to our address, so we have to give our home address. FedEx contests our address every single time. UPS just drops our packages off at the PO anyway (even though they say they won't), so the postmaster has to match our address to our box, which I know frustrates him.

MissRose

« Reply #11283 on: Yesterday at 11:57:22 AM »
Already, at an office of a friend, there is grumbling about the updated processes and types/amounts of calls they have to take plus we are taking on some people from that group.  The thing is that the processes have not really changed, they have to answer calls from a group of customers that pay A LOT more money compared to the regular base of customers they support.