News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 31, 2015, 11:10:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reading/Book Pet Peeves  (Read 280197 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Reading/Book Pet Peeves
« Reply #2610 on: Yesterday at 10:27:05 AM »
Most fairy tales come from popular tradition and there are as many versions as there are little old grandmas telling them. There are often local twists and flavours that reflect where the story was told. Perrault and the Grimm brothers collected these stories and often gave them a more polished spin, as did many others in the 19th century. Others, like Andersen, wrote more original tales based on traditional folk elements.

Italo Calvino has a fantastic collection of Italian fairytale (some of them are quite disturbing) and I rather enjoyed "Clever Maids", about how the Grim brothers collected their fairy tales (we think of his sources as the little grandmas I mentioned but his main sources were actually friends of their sister).

cabbageweevil

« Reply #2611 on: Yesterday at 10:43:17 AM »
But which is the "real" Cinderella story? Cenerentola, Aschenputzel, Perrault's, bacon-fed knave's skin, the Hearth's Cat, Little Saddleslut (really), one of the various Italian versions collected by Italo Calvino, the Wonderful Birch and the charming version my grandmother used to tell me are all versions. There is no one "Cinderella" story.

I'd love to hear that version !  (Sorry -- I know it's the filter doing its stuff, and what the substituted word is -- just couldn't resist.)  No. 6 in the list sounds interesting, too...

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2612 on: Yesterday at 11:58:49 AM »
Ooops! Sorry, I forgot it wouldn't get pass the filter. Curiously, the worse slur two titles down made it unchanged...

Perrault has a version of Bacon Fed Skin :) but, as usual, he added a fairy godmother (he really liked fairy godmothers): http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/perrault11.html

And here is a collection of different versions: http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0510a.html

cabbageweevil

« Reply #2613 on: Yesterday at 08:21:57 PM »
I gather the filter business is about avoiding triggering a blizzard of inappropriate and unsought ads -- I suppose "Little S." is too abstruse for there to be any danger of that happening.  This is the only message board I participate on, where this thing is an issue !