News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 04, 2015, 07:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fanfic Thread  (Read 6422 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Fanfic Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2015, 09:32:31 PM »
Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts with me, you've really helped me to clarify things. I think my confusion started because I posted some work that really was, unambiguously, original, and I was surprised by the (modest) positive reaction. Then I actually checked out the "original work" section and was very surprised by how active it was--25 or 50 stories a day, it seemed. So I got to thinking, maybe this is a label people use pretty broadly. But it sounds like you guys are saying that actually, it's better to use it sparingly, only when it really, truly applies.

Well, I've got another scenario for you. :) Like I said, I have no problem writing these things, it's just when it comes to labeling them that I stumble! When I was younger, for some reason, even though I read a lot of fanfic and wrote a lot of stories, I didn't really want to combine the two. So if I really liked a show, I would make what I myself called a "rip-off" of it. I would start by copying the template of the show--characters (but with different names), setting, etc.. And some of first plots would be very similar to what was on the show, but maybe I didn't like one thing that happened so I would change that. But then, I would take things in different directions, and characters would develop different backstories, have different adventures and relationships, etc.--but you could very clearly see what my template was.

So, for example, Smallville. Littlefield, in my version. ::) Meteor Capital of the World, home to hunky teenage alien orphan Barry, lovely but melancholy Dana, sprightly go-getter Zoe, scheming dashing bald billionaire rebel Xan, etc.. I wrote a lot. I really enjoyed it and I think it's good. I don't need to share it, I don't need to share anything because I write 98% for myself. But, would it be possible to share this? Without doing a lot of revisions--because it's not just a matter of find+replace on the names, I gave Xan a sister (that he grew up with) and there's a different backstory for why Barry's on Earth and so on.

I see it as this weird middle ground where it's really not Smallville fanfic in any recognizable form that I'm familiar with, but yet I would feel very deceptive calling it "original." Maybe it just needs to stay in my filing drawer?
~Lynn2000

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2015, 09:59:59 PM »
It would probably fit best with the label "derivative" and unfortunately there's really not an easy place to find an audience for stories like that  :-\  You can try to disguise the setting to make it your own and then sell the whole thing as an original work a la "50 Shades" or you can try to include more of the original characters and call it fanfic, but there's not much of a market for original characters in copyrighted settings.  The one place I would look is Kindle Worlds - if you happen to be very lucky, it's possible that some of the original canon settings are part of that program. If that's the case, it's possible to publish your original work in a derivative world and you and the original copyright holder split the profits (well, you two and Amazon, of course).  The downside is it's very hard to sell many copies, the number of worlds in the program is pretty small, and most of them have pretty restrictive rules about what you can and can't publish.  The upside is you could get paid  :P

Mergatroyd

« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2015, 10:58:02 PM »
I quite enjoyed RDJ as Sherlock, and was very pleased to see the little details of Watsons gambling problem, as they are in ACD's original works. Using Sherlock as an Example, if the books are the original, RDJ's first Sherlock movie would be fanfiction, BC's Sherlock would be AU (in the future compared to the original), and Elementary would be either AU or OOC (joan vs john, new york vs london, war doctor vs surgeon etc..)

I do think a fanfiction can be both AU and OOC, if the author wishes to make a character slightly more or less than they generally are.. I would consider a fanfic of Sherlock that took place in druidic times to be AU, and if Watson is the bravest hunter in the clan I would personally consider that OOC. Sherlock on star trek would be a crossover.

And the whole thing about a replica world that is slightly different (or as it often is in comic books, backwards) I wouldn't really consider a fanfiction, but also wouldn't consider original.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
Mergatroyd, thanks for those examples, that helps a lot. I guess I've always been hesitant to use the OOC (out of character) label, as usually I've heard that phrase applied in a negative way, as a criticism of a story--"Interesting idea, but everyone's so out of character, I hardly recognized them!" On the other hand if people are labeling their own work that, it must mean something positive or descriptive to them.

For my "rip-off" worlds I'm not interested in making money, I was just curious if I could realistically post them as fanfic with the appropriate labels. I'm really not very good at coming up with keywords, being reluctant to put labels on stories as I worry it could constrain them--but of course, keywords are exactly what others are looking for, to help them decide if they want to read the story.

I also tend to have very short summaries and notes/explanations for stories, as I feel like it's intrusive for the author to be talking so much. It's not that I have trouble coming up with words--just the opposite--it's easy for me to run on and on, until people are bored or think I sound defensive about my idea or something. So I deliberately try to be very concise with the story notes. I'd be very interested to hear what other authors do and why, and what readers prefer--I think we touched on this a little bit earlier in the thread.
~Lynn2000

maksi

« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2015, 11:36:13 AM »
I quite enjoyed RDJ as Sherlock, and was very pleased to see the little details of Watsons gambling problem, as they are in ACD's original works. Using Sherlock as an Example, if the books are the original, RDJ's first Sherlock movie would be fanfiction, BC's Sherlock would be AU (in the future compared to the original), and Elementary would be either AU or OOC (joan vs john, new york vs london, war doctor vs surgeon etc..)

This reminded me of something: I once read History, Repeating Itself by Gyzym and enjoyed it A LOT, but was really confused with the characterisations, especially Sherlock felt a bit off. The story was still perfect with a lot of pining, which is my favourite, so I finished it and loved it despite the OOC. Afterwards I realised that it was an AU of the RDJ movies, not BBC Sherlock, as I had assumed - no wonder the characters felt strange   ;D So of course I had to read it immediately again with the right context in my mind  8)

Mergatroyd

« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2015, 12:50:09 PM »
That is generally the problem with Sherlock.. Is the fanfiction based on the original works? The BBC mini series? The new Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch? The Movies with RDJ? The Elementary series? They are all about the sam characters but many things are different, in the original works both Sherlock and Watson are quite young, in their twenties. The mini series had them both middle aged. Watson has a severe gambling problem in the original early stories, to the point where Sherlock holds his funds for him. Most other versions have done away with that little detail. Elementary is the only one that has really played up Sherlock's later problem with drugs (his 7% solution) though it could be coming in the others I suppose.

I quite like Mary R. King's version of Sherlock, which is sort of a combination but in literary form, with Sherlock being middle aged, Watson being retired, and Russell,  the female lead a young Joan- the female Sherlock. The Beekeepers Apprentice was written long before these new shows began broadcasting though, the series is quite long now.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »
I quite like Mary R. King's version of Sherlock, which is sort of a combination but in literary form, with Sherlock being middle aged, Watson being retired, and Russell,  the female lead a young Joan- the female Sherlock. The Beekeepers Apprentice was written long before these new shows began broadcasting though, the series is quite long now.

I just looked up these books and I think they sound really cool! People forget that Sherlock Holmes spin-off novels, or Jane Austen spin-off novels (probably the bigger genre), are really just fanfic of works that are out of copyright, so the author can actually attempt to make money off them with no problems. Come on--15-year-old girl becomes Sherlock Holmes's assistant? Doesn't that sound like a ton of fanfics that turn out to be a Mary Sue? Though I assume not in this case, given the longevity and popularity of the book series. :) I also have two other Holmes spin-off novels that I haven't read yet--a middle grades book involving Sherlock's little sister, and a YA/adult book in which his niece teams up with Bram Stoker's relation to solve supernatural mysteries.
~Lynn2000

Mergatroyd

« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »

I just looked up these books and I think they sound really cool! People forget that Sherlock Holmes spin-off novels, or Jane Austen spin-off novels (probably the bigger genre), are really just fanfic of works that are out of copyright, so the author can actually attempt to make money off them with no problems. Come on--15-year-old girl becomes Sherlock Holmes's assistant? Doesn't that sound like a ton of fanfics that turn out to be a Mary Sue? Though I assume not in this case, given the longevity and popularity of the book series. :) I also have two other Holmes spin-off novels that I haven't read yet--a middle grades book involving Sherlock's little sister, and a YA/adult book in which his niece teams up with Bram Stoker's relation to solve supernatural mysteries.

There are a lot of Mary Sues in fanfiction, absolutely. That series isn't one of them, it is actually written really well, and Sherlock is secondary, the series revolves around the female lead. I won't say more in case anyone wants to read it. One of my favourite series to this day though.

Lindenharp

« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
"When we finish a much-loved book it is inevitable that we want to know more and to learn something of what happens to the characters who have become as familiar to us as real people."

That is one of the best descriptions I've read of why people write fanfiction.  The quote is from the famed mystery novelist PD James, explaining why she wrote Death Comes to Pemberley, which is essentially a Pride and Prejudice fanfic.

The full article is here: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12-26/pd-james-why-i-wrote-a-murderous-sequel-to-pride-and-prejudice.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »
Cool! I totally agree with that. I want more of the characters and setting, and when they're well-written or doing something interesting, it doesn't really matter that it's not coming from the original creator. Though, like I mentioned earlier, I have a friend who feels very uncomfortable with the idea of characters doing something the creator didn't intend--she loves certain shows/books and wants to see more, but only the official stuff. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, it's just a difference of opinion, but I have to admit it's kind of hard for me to imagine feeling like that. Maybe it's because I've always been one to take characters or events that pass by me and do something with them, that is, write a story about them or at least imagine it, ever since I was a kid--like the world was just full of toys for me to play with. :) So it seems weird to me to say, "No, I'm not going to play with this, I'm going to leave it where it is."

Well, maybe that's not strictly true--thinking of shows/movies I really like, I don't run out and read fanfic for all of them. The Godfather trilogy, for example. I really love those movies and have watched them many times (even in Part 3 I find some redeeming qualities), but it has never occurred to me to go out and read fanfic about it. It just doesn't seem necessary to me, for my own enjoyment. On the other hand, I did lift a lot from the movies for a series of stories I wrote, about the daughter of a modern mobster, so maybe that still counts as 'playing' with it...
~Lynn2000

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »
Maybe this is a silly question--but for those of you readers or writers who are engaged with the fanfic community, how did you do that? I mean are there forums somewhere, like this one, where people talk about fanfic in general (hopefully with good moderation)? The most I've ever done is respond to the occasional comment left on my stories--the database I use doesn't seem to have a discussion forum attached.

That seems odd to me--I would think that would be the perfect place to discuss new stories, make recommendations, etc.. But, I know that properly moderating a forum can be a lot of work, and I can imagine that reviews and discussion might easily slide towards comments that make the authors uncomfortable. Maybe the database decide to forgo an official forum for reasons like that.
~Lynn2000

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #161 on: Yesterday at 01:07:28 AM »
Maybe this is a silly question--but for those of you readers or writers who are engaged with the fanfic community, how did you do that? I mean are there forums somewhere, like this one, where people talk about fanfic in general (hopefully with good moderation)? The most I've ever done is respond to the occasional comment left on my stories--the database I use doesn't seem to have a discussion forum attached.

That seems odd to me--I would think that would be the perfect place to discuss new stories, make recommendations, etc.. But, I know that properly moderating a forum can be a lot of work, and I can imagine that reviews and discussion might easily slide towards comments that make the authors uncomfortable. Maybe the database decide to forgo an official forum for reasons like that.

Fandom forums and discussion groups started out in places like Yahoo Groups - where many are still active. A lot of them are/were fanfiction based, where writers post a story for comment and discussion. This is in addition to archiving on AO3 or Fanfiction.net or a fandom-specific archive.

Many more fandoms migrated to Live Journal, where fans had the flexibilty of having their personal journals and building up flists (shorthand for friends list) which could be a mix of personal friends and fans of their writing, and joining active communities for their fandom. Some communities were thousands strong. Live Journal, though, became a less friendly place for adult fandoms -- LJ succumbed to a moralistic 'think of the children!' moment, and although that passed, the damage was done. Fans started looking elsewhere and certainly my fandoms on LJ are a pale shadow of what they were. Alternatives were set up by ex Lj insiders - Dreamwidth is an LJ clone where some fandoms tried to recreate the LJ heyday, but I don't think it's ever really taken off. Having said that, fans are still active on both sites.

There are fandom groups on Facebook, too, btw.

The front of the fandom wave, as it were, moved on to Tmblr. Personally, I don't get that, because I can't see how you can get the same sense of community you have on Yahoo Groups or LJ/Dreamwidth on a platform where you can't really have discussions like this one, and where the big thing appears to be reposting other people's posts. You can certainly comment on posts, but I don't see the back and forth of Groups or LJ, and which gave fandoms their joys and strengths - and yes, occasionally their wars and arguments!

Explore any of these platforms for your fandoms, and you should find groups of like-minded fans to join.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:54:21 AM by starry diadem »
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Mergatroyd

« Reply #162 on: Yesterday at 04:58:17 PM »
It depends on the fandom too, for instance tv shows will often have an official website, and some will have a forum attached where fans can discuss episodes, appearances, interviews etc.. Some of thise will have just for fun sections and fanfiction sections as well, where the story gets posted as a thread and other people can comment. I am not sure how common this is now, but several years ago every show put out by Fox had an offical forum. The mods were fox employees, and generally it was all a lot of fun. Fox decided to change forum format though and by the time they brought the sites back up a lot of people had moved on to fan hosted sites on Delphooey or one of the other forum hosts. Because traffic was down, most of the Fox forums then closed and became information only webpages. I haven't really checked into it for a number of years. Most of the fanfiction writers who started out there became online buddies and read each others work, and regular readers/commenters did too, so everyone was familiar with each other in that forum and sometimes on other ones if they were on more than one.