News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 20, 2017, 04:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cleaning  (Read 3955 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Cleaning
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 05:23:02 AM »
I have a set of my husband's old business cards, and I've written one task on the back of each of them.  If I'm looking for a "thing" to clean/do [I try and "clean the thing" when I've got a mental/time space for it], I pick one at random or shuffle them.

If I don't like the card, I'm 'allowed' to 'throw it back' and pick another one.  I'm even 'allowed' to go through the entire pack to get to one I'm willing to do.  If it's a one-off task, I get to rip the card up afterwards. :D

I've also added in a couple of things that I might find a "chore" but should be enjoyable: go for a walk/swim etc.  Still counts!

Works for me [some of the time ;)].
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Vall

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »
I am really enjoying this thread!  I'm not a cleaner.  My DH does the cleaning (and the cooking too).  Sometimes I try to help but I'm not very good and usually unmotivated.  This thread is giving me ideas of how to incorporate little things into my routine..It's inspiring.

No, I haven't tried any of the ideas yet, but I promise that I will.

daen

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2017, 08:42:25 AM »
For me, the start of the New Year coincided with a few small changes in my work schedule.  I decided to analyze both my schedule and my cleaning practice(s) to see if I could do a better job of things. Get more done, get the same amount done but in less time, whatever, just improve things somehow.

So I've added a few more maintenance things to my morning schedule. I now have specific weekly tasks for the days when I have more time available. For the two days when I start earlier, I have added "Clean the thing" to my to-do list. It's a phrase I came across on another forum; it was the to-do list entry of a poster who had varying levels of ability to do housework and cleaning stuff. So sometimes "Clean the thing" was "put away this pencil." Sometimes it was more - but every day, one small thing got done. I figure it's a good habit to form. In the meantime, I'm building lists of stuff to do that I can draw from when I see "clean the thing" and my mind goes blank.

Do you mean like categories of things/tasks?
mine are:
- pick up the clothes (from my bed, chair)
- get the drinkware/dishes back to the kitchen (not unusual to have more than one mug on my desk and teaspoons in my bed*)
- make my bed (which is just pulling up the conforter)
- get all the creams and chapsticks and those stuff where they should be from where they ended up
- tidy my desk (I mean, it's on my list but it never gets done daily, sometimes it's just getting all the pens in their right containers)
- do my laundry (once a week for clothes, only colors, 99% in the same cold and quick cycle so for me it's not an ordeal really)
- tidy my wardrobe - that's more time consuming because I just dump everything on the floor and re fold.

In a big fit of procrastination I have been known to go through my sock drawer, because I have way too many socks, but now I keep my pairs folded too regularly so matching the lost ones is pretty quick.

*I start most morning drinking my tea reading proped up in bed and leave my spoon next to me, they don't all make it back to the kitchen right away. It doesn't seem to bother the cat and she's the only one on my bed, but it still weird..

Along those lines, yes, and also things I consider more serious* cleaning - emptying a shelf, dusting the shelf and everything on it, putting it back; cleaning the (inside of the) windows in one room; going around the room with a damp cloth and wiping smudges off walls and doors; wiping down (visibly dusty) baseboards and trim; clearing the clutter off a table or nightstand; giving the fridge and stove a wipedown, and so on.

Most of these can be modified to be more or less exacting, or take more or less time.

*I am almost never serious about cleaning. I would like to change that.  :)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
For the last few years I've had a laundry basket sitting in my family room filled with unmatched socks.  Every few months I remember the basket and think about going through it one more time. 

Yesterday I went through it, got what socks matched (and didn't have holes) out and got rid of the rest of them.  No more basket of socks!

You realize that NOW the unmatched sock mates will all show up, right?

suzieQ

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
I recommend a roomba!  8) seriously, I got one for Christmas and every morning it is busily cleaning my floors. I like to keep an eye on it to keep it out of trouble, so while it works, I do too! I'm keeping the clutter off the floors so it has plenty of area to clean, and seeing my freshly vacuumed carpets encourages me to keep the entire house cleaner.

Runningstar

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
For the last few years I've had a laundry basket sitting in my family room filled with unmatched socks.  Every few months I remember the basket and think about going through it one more time. 

Yesterday I went through it, got what socks matched (and didn't have holes) out and got rid of the rest of them.  No more basket of socks!

You realize that NOW the unmatched sock mates will all show up, right?

I have already thought about that and almost retrieved them from the trash - but I didn't!  So proud of myself :)

Now I'm working while my coffee brews instead of sitting down to rest, I can at least empty the dishwasher in that time.  I'd like to get to the point where if someone is stopping by, I could have the house presentable in an hour, instead of the week or so I need now.  As long as they don't open bedroom/closet doors.  I'm not to that stage!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
My mother is coming in a couple of weeks.  I have to have the guest & public areas cleaned up - we're also having some repair work done that had gotten put off until we got around to it (a round tuit).  Mom's visit is the round tuit that both of us needed, apparently.

Some of the tasks include putting away laundry that was piled on the breakfast table and one chair last year while I was supposed to be "resting" due to tendinitis issues with both wrists (limited weight that I could carry and foot problems on top of the wrists had me sitting down a lot - I got socks sorted - but nothing put away myself). 

The guys had thrown some other stuff on top and forgotten about the clean clothes under the clean towels (sewage back up - twice in three weeks, we kind of left the towels on the pile waiting to see if there would be another backup - roots in the drain pipes - the plumbers will be here tomorrow to replace the drain pipes...so, I started folding things up off the breakfast table and chair).  We've not been using that table...it's amazing what else was hidden under the clothes, towels, and a six month old newspaper or two...

Pliers, screwdriver, spare gardening gloves, and I'm not to the table top yet.  It's too much to deal with all at once - the missing baseball caps got run through the dishwasher on the top shelf, just in case...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Alicia

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2017, 08:44:06 PM »
I am kinda proud of myself for sticking with the minimum 15 min every day. So much decluttered to goodwill. Plus I just found myself walking around living room using a cleaning wipe wiping down all the knick knacks while watching an admittedly bad movie . I find myself seeing the dirt more now that cleaning more and thus doing a much better job.

Bijou

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
Someone I know was having a hard time keeping up after she had some medical stuff going on and she used to set the timer for 15 minutes, did what she could and didn't worry about the rest.   It worked for her and sometimes I try timing myself, too. 
I once read that if you put a load of laundry into the washer and start it up, it gets you going on cleaning...also, I love to put on Al green and dance my way through the house work...it was easier in my younger day, admittedly,  through.  I have a real hard time keeping up at the age of going on 77, but I find now that I just say, "Excuse the house" instead of panicking when someone is going to drop by at the last minute.  Lately I can use the excuse that "I've been sick (I really was) and with the holidays and all......" because with the flu going around and the bustle of the holidays just getting over, everyone's in something of the same boat. 
I read somewhere, "The state of your bed is the state of your head!" and I believe it, so I like to make my bed. 
I can tell you one thing, clutter makes it so hard to keep thing clean and neat...the Decluttering thread is a really good and inspirational one.   I wished they would make it one of those permanent threads that are at the top of the list and I suggested that but they never did.

So my new years resolution is to do 15 minutes of house cleaning a day. I am not a very good housekeeper and i figure 15 minutes a day is enough to over time get the place clean without being so much I can't sustain it.
Any way I can get some encouragement here and advice.Is anyone else trying to be a better housekeeper? Am I the only one who struggles with this?
So far
Jan 1 oh so much laundry did 6 loads folded and put away as had plumbing issues previous week. Also go all dishes cleaned and put away. Put away tree and holiday decor.
Jan 2 Cleaned all toilets cleaned all sinks. Cleaned bathroom mirrors.
Jan 3 goals. Empty all trashes cleaning out trash bins. Take out trash tonight to curb. Sweep kitchen.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Runningstar

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
I am kinda proud of myself for sticking with the minimum 15 min every day. So much decluttered to goodwill. Plus I just found myself walking around living room using a cleaning wipe wiping down all the knick knacks while watching an admittedly bad movie . I find myself seeing the dirt more now that cleaning more and thus doing a much better job.

That is great!  It is amazing how much you can get done in that time.  :)

siamesecat2965

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
Well, after completely cleaning, reorganizing and decluttering my kitchen, i am happy to say its stayed that way for 2 weeks. I've been forcing myself to clean it fully each night, and not leave things in the sink, on the counter etc. Its been tough changing my ways but well worth it when i'm done, and its neat and clean. One silly thing that helped is a gift from my mom; its an OXO broom with dustpan with a handle, so you just use the broom to sweep stuff into the dustpan, nad empt it. and the broom handle is extendable, so no bending over! it sounds silly but so much better than a regular broom and dustpan. i love it.

i also cleaned my bathroom and vacuumed up all the salt i've tracked in from outside. so trying hard to stay on a schedule, as well as keeping things picked up regularly, which I try and do every day or so. seems to be working so far.

VorFemme

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »
Due to sheet rock being replaced after water damage - there is dust from cutting the damaged sheet rock out, replacing it, mudding & taping the seams, then sanding them smooth, more mudding for texture, and more sanding here & there.....in short, dust factory even though the sander is hooked up to a vacuum cleaner. 

I have company coming Sunday, it's raining (mud, paint, cement, grout, and caulk will dry more slowly) yesterday & today (and probably tomorrow) - and the contractor is out sick today (extra drying time - but nothing getting done).  And the work will take an extra day...cutting into my cleaning time before company is picked up Sunday (Mom flies in tomorrow and spends the weekend with Lil Sis & her DH).  It's going to be an interesting week next week - as I drive Mom to West Texas to run several errands with Dad's estate (at 79 and only two months away from turning 80, she doesn't need to be driving from Oklahoma to Houston to San Antonio and back to Oklahoma - Baby Brother & his wife both work, so they can't take off several days to go with her - I don't work outside the home, so I volunteered myself because I like going places with Mom). 

I just had no idea that the remodeling &* repairs (replacing ceramic tiles that are popping out of the cement bed with porcelain tiles of a different size & color is remodeling and there will be repainting done in a different color in one room and, if I can get the paint matched) just painting the repaired places in the other room.  Followed by repainting in the entry hallway when I have time - probably NOT this weekend.  Cleaning up enough to have company in the guest room takes priority.  Making the trip to San Antonio takes priority. 

But mostly getting up the dust from the sheet rock & mud so that we're not writing our names on the furniture is going to be the first thing done...after painting the one room that will be a mix of orange sherbert & dried mud (an off white with a brownish tone).

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »
I got my pantry cupboard reorganized and all the food we brought from my Dad's in there, as well as organizing and consolidating my herbs and spices.  So I don't have stuff out on my counter or sitting in a rubbermaid on the floor any more.  I still have lots of stuff to do but that was a big one that was really bothering my little CDO mind.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

VorFemme

« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 03:48:51 PM »
The three upstairs ceilings have all been textured and two have been painted.  They look great - like nothing ever happened at all - not just the water heater breaking last June but like the previous two partial repairs never happened - it looks *seamless*, like brand new!  I like that a lot.

The old tile has been removed and the new cement board is down, tomorrow they come back to spray texture on the bathroom walls, paint the ceiling, and tile the floor so that it can all dry over night.  I will paint one wall after the texture dries so that the mirror can be rehung (cleaned the edges so that we don't have to replace it and so that the former paint colors won't show against the new color).

The bedroom needs painting on all four walls roughly a hand's breadth down - with one or two slightly larger patches of new mud/texture - but the paint base is not available & there is no guarantee that it will *match* perfectly unless they can use the correct base.  I guess that the walls will wait a little longer - less paint to try to get dry during what looks like a week of rain.  (((sigh)))  At least the flooding seems to be over...

Then they glue a faux marble slab (shower wall) to the wall in bathroom #2 and caulk both showers - it's going to be good to have two working showers upstairs again, grout the dried tile, and clean up their stuff...original completion date was supposed to be Wednesday - currently, the adjust completion date is Saturday. 

It's going to be worth it - but the time line of done Wednesday and Mom comes over Sunday had more wiggle room in it.  Now, if all goes well, the wall in the guest room will still be patchy - but at least the room will be usable!  The bathroom will look brand new. 

I am looking forward to a few days in Florida in February...someone else will do the vacuum cleaning, no wet paint to avoid touching; no smells of cement, grout, caulk, and paint.   I can always go walk along the beach, even if I don't feel like swimming...