Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 218008 times)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #1215 on: November 19, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »
I am very confused. Why would a tech-savvy person have to have MS Works? You don't need it to make a website.

ETA: Most of the tech savvy people I know don't have Windows.

She doesn't need Works. But if that's what came up in their conversation and not "I can maintain a website!" or "I'm great at editing in Photoshop," I don't feel like it bodes well for her being really "tech savvy." Our organization doesn't have a physical site, which means lots of stuff is done online. We hang a lot of flyers (that need to be created.) Our records are kept in Excel files (and in our treasurer's physical files.) What we really need is someone who can create/maintain a website, create flyers, create online forms (like in Google Docs or Adobe), stuff like that. Not sure if my original post (or even this one) convey what I mean. It's just, we get offers a lot for help, but it's tiring to find out after they volunteer that they have no way of following through.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #1216 on: November 19, 2014, 01:22:37 PM »
LOL.

I quit volunteering my graphic design and document production services to groups because invariably I (a professional with over 20 years of experience in the field) would be told that I totally don't know what I'm doing and person X (usually the one telling me I'm awful) reworks my stuff without consulting me and then blames the resulting issues on me.  ::)

No thanks! You guys can just go back to making things that look like the infamous newletter used as an example of what not to do in graphic design classed. http://therockmcc.pbworks.com/f/Children_Church_Kids_Newsletter-04.jpg

lowspark

« Reply #1217 on: November 19, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
LOL.

I quit volunteering my graphic design and document production services to groups because invariably I (a professional with over 20 years of experience in the field) would be told that I totally don't know what I'm doing and person X (usually the one telling me I'm awful) reworks my stuff without consulting me and then blames the resulting issues on me.  ::)

No thanks! You guys can just go back to making things that look like the infamous newletter used as an example of what not to do in graphic design classed. http://therockmcc.pbworks.com/f/Children_Church_Kids_Newsletter-04.jpg

Ugh. This happened to me once and it put me totally off the entire organization. It was a large non-profit organization and I was involved with a subgroup of it. I had designed sort of logo for the subgroup. Nothing earth shattering or highly artistic but it was pretty cool.

Next thing I know, it got commandeered for use on a banner by the organization without even notifying me, much less asking me. But they messed it up so that it didn't look quite like I'd designed, but rather like a pretty crummy version of it.

Since it was non-profit, it wasn't like anyone was going to make any money on it, and I'd designed it just thinking it would be cool to have a logo, with no other motive or even expectation of recognition. But the fact that they just started using it, or rather a bad version of it, with no nod to me at all, made me back off of volunteering much more of my time or effort with them. If they had just asked me before they used it, or even acknowledged that it was my design and thanked me, I'd have been ok with the whole thing.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1218 on: November 19, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
LOL.

Ow! My eyes! ??? ???
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #1219 on: November 19, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »

Ugh. This happened to me once and it put me totally off the entire organization. It was a large non-profit organization and I was involved with a subgroup of it. I had designed sort of logo for the subgroup. Nothing earth shattering or highly artistic but it was pretty cool.

Next thing I know, it got commandeered for use on a banner by the organization without even notifying me, much less asking me. But they messed it up so that it didn't look quite like I'd designed, but rather like a pretty crummy version of it.
Yep.
It's like everyone who learns to use some basic photo editing and a word processor thinks they're a master designer and so many of them just wreck everything they touch.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a great artiste, but I do have solid experience and expect to be treated as a professional.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #1220 on: November 19, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »
LOL.

Ow! My eyes! ??? ???
*blinks* *Blinks* ow, my brain!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1221 on: November 19, 2014, 03:27:29 PM »
It is rather hard to read, isn't it?  In a rather kaleidoscopic way...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

magicdomino

« Reply #1222 on: November 19, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
It's like a sampler for fonts.  I counted 13 different ones.

Miss March

« Reply #1223 on: November 20, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »

Since it was non-profit, it wasn't like anyone was going to make any money on it, and I'd designed it just thinking it would be cool to have a logo, with no other motive or even expectation of recognition. But the fact that they just started using it, or rather a bad version of it, with no nod to me at all, made me back off of volunteering much more of my time or effort with them. If they had just asked me before they used it, or even acknowledged that it was my design and thanked me, I'd have been ok with the whole thing.

There was a woman who did some photography on the side who did some volunteer work for our local community theater. Mostly she helped with costumes, as she had a knack for tailoring thrift store clothes so that they became professional looking costumes. Then she started helping out by taking pictures of the cast and scenes from the play to be mounted in the front lobby, simply out of her own generosity and not expecting payment. Still, she was pretty offended when the theater managers started submitting her pictures for publication in local papers/ local websites and only gave a photo credit to "The So and So Theater Group" rather than giving her name. She stopped volunteering after that season. It's a shame no one ever thought to ask her permission, or showed her any respect, for what she had produced for them.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

lowspark

« Reply #1224 on: November 20, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
I think that there is a tendency to not put value on things volunteers do, be it time or actual work produced. It's obtained for free so it has no perceived value. It's a sad thing because I bet there are a million stories like these, where a volunteer did something, it was taken for granted or misused or appropriated without credit, and the volunteer quit helping the organization.

Like in my story, I absolutely did not want compensation. I did the work solely because I wanted it to benefit the organization. But since they didn't value it or treat it or me properly, they lost me as a volunteer. Same thing with this photographer. And who knows how many others with similar stories.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1225 on: November 20, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
MommyPenguin, if your girls are interested in beads and jewelrymaking, I'd troll through the <$1 listings on eBay.  If you don't mind waiting a few weeks while something gets shipped to you from China, you can get the exact same beads craft stores here sell for $5-10 sent to you for $2 or less, usually even with free shipping.  Sometimes I just go through and bid fifty cents on a bunch of listings and see what I win.  The nice thing about beading is it doesn't take much skill to do - an eye for color and style, maybe, but the physical "put things on a wire" is the same skill for plastic pony beads as it is for fancy gemstones.  A necklace also doesn't take that long to do, and can be a good "I don't know what to get this person" present for distant relatives at Christmas  :)

A basic starting kit would be:
- beading wire (the thin braided kind - I think Tigertail is a brand name)
- needle-nosed pliers
- wire cutters
- beads, obviously  :)
- crimp beads
- some sort of necklace clasps (can get these for cheap on eBay too)
- a beading board - basically a tray with grooves so you can lay things out and figure out necklace lengths before you start

You can actually get glass, wood, and metal beads for almost as cheap as plastic, if you order online, which means any kid old enough to create and follow a pattern is capable of making jewelry an adult might actually wear  :P  I think I put less than a dollar's worth of material into this and it totally doesn't look it  ;D

Although I have been making jewelry for a decade, I had not purchased much through ebay. Since this post, I found some charms, expandable bangles, crystals and oval jump rings I will be using for Christmas gifts. Thank you!

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1226 on: November 20, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
LOL.

Ow! My eyes! ??? ???

Yeah, my eyes are numb now.

Elisabunny

« Reply #1227 on: November 21, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »
LOL.

Ow! My eyes! ??? ???

Yeah, my eyes are numb now.

*note to self: squashed italics are a really, really bad idea*
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #1228 on: Yesterday at 12:09:38 PM »
I think that there is a tendency to not put value on things volunteers do, be it time or actual work produced. It's obtained for free so it has no perceived value. It's a sad thing because I bet there are a million stories like these, where a volunteer did something, it was taken for granted or misused or appropriated without credit, and the volunteer quit helping the organization.

So often this is true.  But!  Just to restore your faith in humanity, I have a totally opposite story.

My dad is a semi-professional photographer (he does weddings and portraits and stuff for money, but it's not his full-time day job).  He got involved with the high school drama program at the school his church used on Sundays -- he'd taken pictures of our shows when we were in high school, but never thought he'd be still doing stuff with high schoolers after we were all out of college.  ;)

So he offered to take pictures of their show.  Naturally, they were skeptical at first because so many photographers have no idea how to be unobtrusive during a live performance.  He showed up in all black, his camera flash-less and on an easily movable monopod, and took pictures of the dress rehearsal.  Then he printed out a bunch of 4x6 images as well as a couple poster sized montages.  Scattered them all over the tables the kids were going to eat their meal on in between the shows on Saturday, for them to keep.

They. Were. Over. The. Moon.

Afterwards, the director asked, "Uh, so how much do we owe you?"  And my dad said, "Uh...nothing."

Yeah, they adored him and he kept up that relationship all three years they lived there.  He did senior portraits and professional headshots (for money) for a bunch of the students and kept doing pictures of their shows for free.  They loved him, bragged about him to others, said thank you a million times.  And at their end of the year celebration banquet dinner thing (at least once, maybe more), they gave him a plaque and honored him for his contribution to their program. 

So sometimes they do appreciate you even when you offer it free!

Thenerdwithtehninetails

• My Deviantart
« Reply #1229 on: Yesterday at 10:05:13 PM »
LOL.

My inner photoshopper is crying  :'( Oh Deity why?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
~Groucho Marx