Author Topic: vegans\vegatarians what made you chose?  (Read 747 times)

LisyLoo

vegans\vegatarians what made you chose?
« on: October 18, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »
I ve gone more and more off meat in the last few years.  First, red meat and pork, and now all meats. I try and eat at least one vegan meal a day.

It started because of stomach issues and finding I really felt bad after eating meat. I also have a problem with how the meat industry treats animals.  I have changed my milk to soy or almond, and am looking at getting a couple of chickens for eggs. Cheese and butter is the hardest for me not to eat.

I have found in the last month (I started in Sept) my stomach feels better, and (I know this sounds weird) I feel lighter and cleaner inside.

Mr. is not really happy about it, but as long as he gets his meat he more or less leaves me alone. I still think he is trying to get me out of this because he'll cook too much bacon and offer me some. What he doesn't know is I don't crave it, so it is not an issue.

Once I conquer this, I'm going to work on going to the gym, going more raw (the 70 year old woman who eats a raw diet was on a show I saw, she looks 35, so this one is the vanity in my coming out), cut out alcohol etc....I feel like this one decision has put me on a different path

All you vegans\veggies here what made you go in this direction, and what changes, if any, have you found in your life?

otterwoman

Re: vegans\vegatarians what made you chose?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:28:46 PM »
I stopped eating red meat back in 1987, due to poverty. Meat is expensive, and I was poor. I still ate some chicken and fish, when I could afford it, but not often. It also wasn't just the meat being expensive, but I realized that I only ate red meat when it had some sort of sauce on it. It turns out I didn't like the taste of plain meat, so by giving it up, I was saving not just the cost of the meat, but also the cost of the steak sauce also. More veggies and ramen for me!

Eventually, I just gave up on meat. I was happy with it. But, then I married a meat eater. I still don't eat red meat, but I eat more chicken now. I will cook meat for DH because he likes it, I just don't eat it.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:21:57 AM »
I'm not a vegetarian now, but I was at a number of times throughout my life.

Starting in my 20s, in the early 1980s, most people i knew became vegetarians because of health/ethical reasons. we didn't eat fish/meat/chicken, but did eat eggs/cheese. that lasted for a few years, then slowly we started to eat meat - first just out of the house and then we incorporated meat back into the menu.

Then since my 30s till now, i have gone through several bouts of vegetarianism and even veganism that last a few months to a few years. The reason it starts is because i suddenly physically cannot eat meat/chicken/fish. it starts gradually - i go from eating everything to eating only things like minced meat/chicken and skinless/boneless parts, to not being able to look at meat at all. so i eat vegetarian/vegan for a while (few months-years) then suddenly one day my aversion is gone. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 11:03:48 AM »
Over the last few years I have found myself less interested in meat.  A chicken Parmesan is nice once in a great while and I enjoy a cheese omelet but a steak doesn't appeal. 

There are no ethical or medical reasons for this.  I just don't want meat. 

This will be a very interesting thread.  I'll be eager to read what others have to say. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:02:01 PM »
Another one who is not veg*n but is leaning towards eating a lot less meat.

My reasons are more environmental that anything else.  Meat production is a lot harder on the environment than vegetable production.  I participate in an organic CSA program, although the local part is more important to me than the organic part.  Reducing carbon footprint and all that.  They do offer some organically raised chicken and beef but the quantities and cuts don't work well for me.

Ethically, I've started avoiding meat products where the production is particularly harsh.  No veal, I buy eggs from my farm, that kind of thing.

I have one friend who is mostly vegetarian, mainly because she doesn't like the taste and texture; she doesn't worry about 'sneaky' meat like broth or gelatin.  My other vegetarian friend is very much into no meat products at all for ethical reasons - she carefully checks all the labels to make sure there is no 'sneaky' meat.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

otterwoman

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
Slightly off topic: I had a coworker who was also a photo major in college at the same time. There was another student in her classes that was very vegetarian, for ethical reasons, so no meat products at all. My coworker didn't really know this girl well, and didn't know about the girl's no-meat policy.

One day, other girl started ranting about leather shoes and purses and such. Dead animals and all that. Coworker just looked at her and asked if she knew what photo film and paper were made from. Silver particles in a gelatin emulsion. Gelatin; made from animals. Girl freaked out, and ran off. It was three weeks before graduation, coworker never saw the girl in class again. Coworker wondered if the girl graduated...

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
Various reasons:

- environmental
- health (some short term, some long run like cholesterol)
- animal rights
- benefits to other humans

I am ovo-lacto vegetarian right now.
I have pet mice!

demarco

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »
I am not a vegatarian  but started eating less meat about fifteen years ago. My only reason for doing this was because I needed to lose weight.  Most meat is calorie dense and I found it  a lot easier to lose weight and maintain a weight loss by eating smaller amounts. Interestingly, I found that going without meat entirely was counterproductive for me because I  like it too much and if I feel deprived I'm going to start overeating.

So, I usually eat meat once a day. I'll cook about 4 ounces for DH and one and a half or two ounces for me. All bets are off, though, if we're eating out.

jmarvellous

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
I haven't eaten meat in this century.  ::)

I started not eating it because I couldn't stand the idea of the factory farm process, or killing animals when we don't have to. I still feel that way, but I also am much more understanding of why others might make a different choice. These days, it's 50/50 politics and empathy/habit.

I went 5 years without eating cheese at one point, but these days I eat dairy in baked goods and cheese on occasion (though we use Earth Balance and almond milk 99% of the time), plus eggs. I also wear leather on occasion and pleather most of the time.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
I have been ovo-lacto vegetarian on and off for thirty years, and am currently practicing such, this time, for good.  My reasons are almost all due to my feelings about animals, and a smattering of environmental concerns.  I have never felt as though I were living authentically when I eat meat, so for me, it's the right decision.  (I would love to eat completely vegan, but for many reasons, that would be very difficult, due to where I live and the life I lead.)  My son eats meat, so I cook it for him, but once he's off to college, I will not do so any longer. That all said, I don't judge anyone for what they eat.  Everyone has to make their own choices, and draw their own lines.  Also, it's a good thing for me that all my favorite foods are meatless!    ;D  If I loved a good filet mignon, for example, life would be much harder, but except for a couple years as a teen, meat dishes have never been my first choice.  The only thing that tempts me is a  McDonald's cheeseburger.  (Go figure!)    ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Rachel

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »
I eat meat when I feel like it which is a couple of times a week, I don't worry about sneaky meats and I eat quite a lot of fish.

Meat was such a luxury growing up (financial and health reasons)that being a grown up and able to eat what I wanted I probably ate too much and realised I don't actually want it that often.

If I do buy meat now (or any animal products) I only buy free range which is more expensive so helps me eat less.

POF

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »
I grew up in a framing area and we ate a LOT of meat. But it was home grown, free range etc.  I rarely eat red meat, but I do eat a lot of chicken.  I tend to gravitate towards fish and non animal protein but happily eat it once in a while.  I just never really cared for red meat.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 10:57:54 AM »
I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a whole lot of meat. I don't like touching meat, like to prepare it, so I'm never going to buy raw meat and cook it at home.

Also for health reasons I'm cutting way down on my fat intake, so I go for chicken, turkey, or fish/seafood over beef and pork now. I do love a good steak though and some cuts don't have much fat, so if someone else got a steak I might have a few bites.

Also due to the fat I don't eat butter or real cheese--only the severely fat-reduced/fat-free kind, whose taste does not exactly encourage me to eat a lot! Actual milk has started to bother my stomach, even skim, so I don't drink that anymore either. But, I do love fat-free yogurt.

I've also never been much of an egg person anyway, but I might get an egg white omelet somewhere, as that part has a lot of protein and very little fat.
~Lynn2000