News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 02, 2015, 11:55:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How has the world changed in your lifetime?  (Read 4549 times)

Allyson

Re: How has the world changed in your lifetime?
« Reply #165 on: Yesterday at 11:54:54 AM »
I grew up in the 80s--some changes I can think of in my lifetime involve how when I grew up, most people carried cash, and now that's not true. i was curious so quickly looked up when debit cards became a thing, and it said that it was 1998 that the use of debit cards became more popular than cheques (even though they were around for some time before that!)

There used to be payphones, now it's incredibly difficult to find such a thing.

Different groups getting rights, and spreading awareness, seems to happen far faster now--it took decades for the gay rights movement to achieve the gains it has, in my lifetime going from not hearing much about it except with giggles to same-sex marriage being legalized in my country and no major issues from it. I'm contrasting that with how five years ago I don't think I knew any transgender people (that I knew of) and now that topic is everywhere.

Music appreciation/tastes seem to have changed, when I was young most people listened to either the radio, or one of a few other genres. But now it's possible to find just about *anything* and the genres have exploded into the dozens. I can't keep up!

I think one of my favourite quotes about human nature and the modern age is "I possess a device in my pocket with the power to access the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #166 on: Yesterday at 11:59:24 AM »
Our utility bills still come through the USPS in paper envelopes and we mail paper checks back.  Yes, we're very old fogies.   

I remember going with my Mother to the storefront of the local gas company when she went to pay our monthly bill in cash.  It was a fascinating place because there were refrigerators and gas stoves on display.  We paid electricity, water and telephone bills by check.

I also remember when the first Grand Union supermarket came into our town. It was a wonder of modernity. 

Instead of taking cans of food off shelves, the store had a system of slots.  Employees loaded cans out of the sight of customers and the cans came down a chute.   That didn't last very long because the operations in the back took up a lot of space that could be better used for the direct sale of goods.

This was also the time when canned beverages were changing.  To make beer and sodas more accessible, the heavy cans weren't made with the flat tops that were known before and that we know today. The cans had a conical top and the sort of crimped cap you'd find on a soda or beer bottle.  That made the can easy to open with a 'church key'.

This didn't last very long because the oddly-shaped cans were expensive to ship and store. 

Ah, the good old days!  They weren't all that good.     

nuit93

« Reply #167 on: Yesterday at 12:56:39 PM »
More women drive these days than when I was young.

One woman remembered that when she took her driving test in the 1950s the examiner actualy asked why she needed to drive her husband's car. She replied it was hers, and she needed it for her job as a district nurse. (Not all of them rode bicycles like the good ladies of Nonnatus House)

My grandma drove for years without a license, she was in her mid-30's and heavily pregnant with child #5 when she finally took her drivers' exam in 1954.  Apparently a license wasn't considered as big a deal back then?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #168 on: Today at 12:38:55 AM »
I would pay for my registration at the grocery store, they would give me my sticker for my car. Then every Friday they would transfer the information to a disk, mail it to Harris County, Harris county would put the disk in a machine -print out the data, and then someone would have to key it into the county/state machine. It took so long that for a month and a 1/2 I would be pulled over automatically every time a cop was behind me.

Their cars would read my licence plate, come up as unregistered. They would pull me over see the sticker, sometimes accuse me of having a counterfeit one. I would had them over the paper work, they would be very puzzled, call it in find out Harris county was a month and 1/2 behind on putting in the information, apologize, and if this was the toll way or 59, use their lights to slow/stop traffic enough for me to get back on the road.

When was that - oh yea 3 years ago. (I go directly to the court house now) Harris county please join the rest of us in 2015 and update this system. Seriously the cars can communicate with the state system but the place you pay for your registration can't!?
« Last Edit: Today at 12:41:54 AM by kherbert05 »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

scotcat60

« Reply #169 on: Today at 07:22:34 AM »
My grandma drove for years without a license, she was in her mid-30's and heavily pregnant with child #5 when she finally took her drivers' exam in 1954.  Apparently a license wasn't considered as big a deal back then?

When my father started driving in the UK in the 1930s all you had to do was go to a post office, buy a driving licence, get someone to show you the basics, and you were off, driving. He never did take a test.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #170 on: Today at 10:30:35 AM »
I would pay for my registration at the grocery store, they would give me my sticker for my car. Then every Friday they would transfer the information to a disk, mail it to Harris County, Harris county would put the disk in a machine -print out the data, and then someone would have to key it into the county/state machine. It took so long that for a month and a 1/2 I would be pulled over automatically every time a cop was behind me.

Their cars would read my licence plate, come up as unregistered. They would pull me over see the sticker, sometimes accuse me of having a counterfeit one. I would had them over the paper work, they would be very puzzled, call it in find out Harris county was a month and 1/2 behind on putting in the information, apologize, and if this was the toll way or 59, use their lights to slow/stop traffic enough for me to get back on the road.

When was that - oh yea 3 years ago. (I go directly to the court house now) Harris county please join the rest of us in 2015 and update this system. Seriously the cars can communicate with the state system but the place you pay for your registration can't!?

Chicago recently got kiosks for registration.  You get a postcard in the mail with a barcode.  You scan the barcode at the kiosk, pay with a credit card and the kiosk spits out your sticker and paperwork.  The whole thing takes 30 seconds and I don't miss using up a whole lunch hour to stand in long lines (usually the wrong one) and getting hollered at by the fine folks at the DMV.* 

Now if we could just repeat this process with our city stickers...

*We've had the option to do it by mail for as long as I can remember but our mail can be unreliable.  We are forever getting mail meant for other homes on our street and I don't trust it when it comes to important stuff like that if I can purchase it personally.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #171 on: Today at 01:07:29 PM »
Our utility bills still come through the USPS in paper envelopes and we mail paper checks back.  Yes, we're very old fogies.   

I remember going with my Mother to the storefront of the local gas company when she went to pay our monthly bill in cash.  It was a fascinating place because there were refrigerators and gas stoves on display. 

My mom, when she graduated from college, worked for the local gas company. She had a company car, and since she had been a Home Ec major in college, her job was to go to the homes of customers who purchased appliances from the company, and show them how they worked, and so on. Pretty cool for a woman in the late 1950's!

dawnfire

« Reply #172 on: Today at 07:09:30 PM »

Chicago recently got kiosks for registration.  You get a postcard in the mail with a barcode.  You scan the barcode at the kiosk, pay with a credit card and the kiosk spits out your sticker and paperwork.  The whole thing takes 30 seconds and I don't miss using up a whole lunch hour to stand in long lines (usually the wrong one) and getting hollered at by the fine folks at the DMV.* 

here in the state of Victoria , Australia they've done away with reg stickers for domestic vehicles (and ?I think fleet cars too). you get your registration bill, you can pay it online, by phone, go to post office or go to Vic roads (our version of the DMV) and it's done.

ezbliss

« Reply #173 on: Today at 08:29:14 PM »
My mom, when she graduated from college, worked for the local gas company. She had a company car, and since she had been a Home Ec major in college, her job was to go to the homes of customers who purchased appliances from the company, and show them how they worked, and so on. Pretty cool for a woman in the late 1950's!

Yes, cool indeed!  I remember summer job at the electric company when I was in college (late 60s/early 70s).  I took customer bill payments and did some phone answering and typing, but I recall they had a really sharp young lady who had been a Home Ec major and she did exactly what your mom did.  Her title was Home Economist. She had a “mod” hairstyle like the girls on 'Laugh-In' and I thought she was so cool! :)