News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 17, 2017, 02:08:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 4661083 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #26160 on: December 15, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »
Social media and the amount of misinformation that runs rampant on it. I belong to a group
on FB for my hometown.

BG: literally next to my apt complex is a shopping center, which had a supermarket in it until the chain went bankrupt several years back, and closed all the stores. There arenít too many remaining businesses in there, but in the spring, another grocery store is opening. Yay. Someone posted a comment about how several of the businesses currently in there are going to have to close, because of the grocery store, and how they are ďforcingĒ the current tenants to pay ďfull rentĒ even though they themselves havenít opened yet. Which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Um, first of all, Iím pretty sure that the grocery store chain does not own the center, and second, while some landlords may be willing to negotiate rent if a center isnít fully occupied, they ae not required to do so. So why is it so bad that current tenants ae being expected to pay rent set out in their lease? And why are you saying that the grocery store is the bad buy, when they are not the ones charging the rent! And then cue all the comments about how horrible it is this one restaurant will have to close because of this, and how they will be boycotting the grocery store. SMH. Get your facts straight! And of course everyone just takes it as gospel, and true, and runs with it.

Second is the whole net neutrality issue. Without getting political, I work in the telecom industry, and follow this particular issues closely, so have a pretty good idea of not only what it is, but also the procedures that need to be followed, to appeal in court, a federal agency decision. But the stuff Iím seeing posted boggles my mind at how inaccurate it is, but if you see it on the internet, it must be right, right? Iím so far biting my tongue, but did have to respond to someone in a selling group Iím in about how the appeal process works. Because they said court cases are being filed as we speak. Um no, they are not. I think maybe I need a break from FB for a while

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #26161 on: December 15, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
Social media and the amount of misinformation that runs rampant on it. I belong to a group on FB for my hometown.

Oh, sister!  I joined a group on FB for the town I work in, since I work for the Town, if that makes sense.  The amount of misinformation and beeyotching that goes on for things that could be solved with one phone call...amazing.  The armchair lawyers out there...boggles the mind.  Right now someone is posting that requiring a permit for the installation of a whole-house generator violates the 4th Amendment.

:o

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #26162 on: December 15, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »
Social media and the amount of misinformation that runs rampant on it. I belong to a group on FB for my hometown.

Oh, sister!  I joined a group on FB for the town I work in, since I work for the Town, if that makes sense.  The amount of misinformation and beeyotching that goes on for things that could be solved with one phone call...amazing.  The armchair lawyers out there...boggles the mind.  Right now someone is posting that requiring a permit for the installation of a whole-house generator violates the 4th Amendment.

:o :o :o

According to Google, the 4th Amendment is about unreasonable searches and seizures. What does that have to do with installing generators with (or without, for that matter) permits? Am I missing something?!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #26163 on: December 15, 2017, 11:04:18 AM »

I also belong to the one for the town I grew up in, which is kind of affluent. My goodness, the amount of whining, crying, complaining and carrying on, not to mention the entitlement is amazing! And many things most certainly can be solved by Google or a phone call, but it seems everyone wants everything spoon fed to them!

As for my own town, I'm thrilled a grocery store is going in there. it will be so nice to have something within walking distance!

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #26164 on: December 15, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »

:o :o :o

According to Google, the 4th Amendment is about unreasonable searches and seizures. What does that have to do with installing generators with (or without, for that matter) permits? Am I missing something?!

A violation of your property rights doesn't have to necessarily be a full 'taking' of the entire property, and can be a significantly smaller encumbrance, so they can be probably remembering bits and pieces of property law and conflating that with constitutional law regarding seizure. But regulations affecting property are allowed to exist, of course.

Mustard

« Reply #26165 on: December 15, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »
I had an appointment with the GP at 10 o'clock this morning.  He was running about 20 minutes late; I was there on time, so sat and waited - as you do.... Except the person who had an appointment time of 10.20 harrumphed when I was called, as that was 'her' appointment!   :o   :o  :o

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #26166 on: December 15, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
If I follow the (lack of) logic correctly, if you are required to pull a permit, you then are required to have the project inspected in order to close the permit out, and having to allow the Building Inspector on your property to perform this inspection violates the 4th Amendment ("unreasonable search").  Therefore requiring a permit = violation of the 4th Amendment.

I could be wrong, though.  My mind doesn't work that way.

And he's just one of the armchair lawyers.  The problem is, though...all they do is stir people up by posting this ridiculousness on FB.  None of them actually volunteer for committees, show up for meetings, run for public office, etc.

Adelaide

« Reply #26167 on: December 15, 2017, 12:34:49 PM »
I have a whole bunch of First Amendment warriors on my FB feed. The latest uprising happened some time ago when a private network pulled and cancelled Celebrity's tv show. All of a sudden my feed was filled with American flags and posts about how we needed to "stand with Celebrity" and "Celebrity's First Amendment rights are being stripped away."  ::)

Hillia

« Reply #26168 on: December 15, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »
I have a whole bunch of First Amendment warriors on my FB feed. The latest uprising happened some time ago when a private network pulled and cancelled Celebrity's tv show. All of a sudden my feed was filled with American flags and posts about how we needed to "stand with Celebrity" and "Celebrity's First Amendment rights are being stripped away."  ::)

I remember that.  My feed also got clogged with that junk.  The first amendment protects you from the government - you can't arrested or face legal action for stating an unpopular opinion.  You can, however, suffer consequences in your employment, social life, etc.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #26169 on: December 15, 2017, 01:03:13 PM »
As I understand it, the 1st amendment protects you from repercussions of saying what you want to say.  It does not protect the platform from which you might want to express those opinions, especially if said platform is not owned by the speaker.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

« Reply #26170 on: December 15, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
As I understand it, the 1st amendment protects you from repercussions of saying what you want to say.  It does not protect the platform from which you might want to express those opinions, especially if said platform is not owned by the speaker.

The first amendment specifically protects you from repercussions by the government. Not from private businesses or individuals. 

Allyson

« Reply #26171 on: Yesterday at 12:51:44 AM »
The social media complaints reminded me of when people will say something like "This isn't even an issue that should be debated", or more succinctly, end their comment with "Period." or "End of story." Sorry, no, you telling me your comment was so brilliant/true that no other dissenting opinion can be made doesn't actually make it true.

The worst is when I agree with their opinion.  Makes me want to be contrary just for the sake of proving my point...

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #26172 on: Yesterday at 09:25:03 AM »

I sometimes refer to complaints like that as "Freeze Peach." Sounds similar but not the same thing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.