News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 12, 2016, 06:46:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 628758 times)

ladyknight1

• Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #4590 on: February 09, 2016, 08:11:07 AM »
I am glad that acupuncture works for you. Ridiculing me and others because we don't want to try it makes you look foolish.

When you persisted, I replied that my auto-immune disorder would create an overreaction to the procedure that would rend me incapable of work or any type of normal life for days.

Frog24

« Reply #4591 on: February 09, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
I am glad that acupuncture works for you. Ridiculing me and others because we don't want to try it makes you look foolish.

When you persisted, I replied that my auto-immune disorder would create an overreaction to the procedure that would rend me incapable of work or any type of normal life for days.

(The following is to be read with wide-eyed innocence and the sense of entitlement because "I know what is good for you".)

But, but, but.. the thing that worked so incredibly well for me *must* work just as well for you.  There can be no doubts about the health benefits of the thing that worked for me.  It's truly amazing because I tried all the other things before and none of them worked. 

I'm *sure* your ailment would get much better if you just tried my recommendations once.  Your pesky auto-immune thing wouldn't cause any problems at all... in fact my fabulous cure will probably help the problem.  There's nothing it can't do... it even juliennes fries!

ladyknight1

• Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4592 on: February 09, 2016, 03:52:55 PM »
Snickering and smiling here. At least she has left me alone the rest of the day, but really?

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #4593 on: February 09, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »
Even nearby areas can get vastly different amounts of snow. I had to defend my decision to work from home with my office manager one day because there was no snow on the ground at the office. But 10 miles away where I live, we got 18 inches!

No joke, I live in Chicago and we have micro climates that offer various types of weather at any given time.  Lake effect snow, vast differences in temperature based on your relation to the lake, etc.  Last fall, we had a lake effect rain storm, during which it was pouring rain on one block and bone dry the next.

gmatoy

« Reply #4594 on: February 09, 2016, 09:37:29 PM »
Even nearby areas can get vastly different amounts of snow. I had to defend my decision to work from home with my office manager one day because there was no snow on the ground at the office. But 10 miles away where I live, we got 18 inches!

No joke, I live in Chicago and we have micro climates that offer various types of weather at any given time.  Lake effect snow, vast differences in temperature based on your relation to the lake, etc.  Last fall, we had a lake effect rain storm, during which it was pouring rain on one block and bone dry the next.

A number of years ago, I was in Chicago and went to a fabric store in Evanston. While I was in the store, I kept looking out at the weather, trying to see if it was getting better or worse. In a ten minute period, it went from rain to snow to rain to cold, but clear skies for miles. Did my shopping and headed back to my DD's apt., no more taking chances for me!

Hmmmmm

« Reply #4595 on: February 10, 2016, 09:06:30 AM »
Sucking on a lollipop while doing a wine tasting at a vineyard is frowned upon. No, you really can't taste the wine if you're "cleansing your pallet" with artificial cherry flavor between glasses.

LadyDyani

« Reply #4596 on: February 10, 2016, 09:55:29 AM »
Sucking on a lollipop while doing a wine tasting at a vineyard is frowned upon. No, you really can't taste the wine if you're "cleansing your pallet" with artificial cherry flavor between glasses.

Did they seriously say they were cleansing their palate? That's a real quote?

I could cry.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Lorie_P

• Lorie_P
« Reply #4597 on: February 10, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »
Reading all these replies is but entertaining and worrisome.  :-\

I work in HR at a college and I have a few to add:

-Making a copy of your degree you received at graduation doesn't count as an official transcript

-Yes you do have to fill out tax paperwork if you want to get paid.

-The pretty certificate the hospital gave your parents is not an official birth certificate for use as identification on your Form I9 that is required by every employer in the US

-Neither the passport that expired 4 years ago.

And it's people that hold masters degrees and doctorates that I have to explain this to the most.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #4598 on: February 10, 2016, 11:14:51 AM »

Did they seriously say they were cleansing their palate? That's a real quote?

I could cry.

It was said as a slight joke but she really didn't see the big deal. She's only likes specific styles so I think her plan was to mask the taste of some of the bolder reds. But it was a fun girl's weekend.

Mustard

« Reply #4599 on: February 10, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »
My daughter works in a large financial service.  She asked a client to send her a death certificate so benefits could be paid to the deceased's nearest and dearest.  The reply came that this particular country did not issue death certificates so would a video of the funeral do instead?  Erm, no... (Further investigation revealed that it was an insurance scam and the deceased wasn't actually deceased)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #4600 on: February 10, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
And it's people that hold masters degrees and doctorates that I have to explain this to the most.

I used to work on the computers at an Ivy League University.  And I had to explain to a graduate student at another university that he needed to talk to the IT people on HIS end if he wanted to send email to our university.  We had IBM and they had Cray.  He wanted me to explain how to use the Cray. 

Oh, this was pre-PC days.  We were all on mainframes. 

VorFemme

• I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #4601 on: February 10, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
My daughter works in a large financial service.  She asked a client to send her a death certificate so benefits could be paid to the deceased's nearest and dearest.  The reply came that this particular country did not issue death certificates so would a video of the funeral do instead?  Erm, no... (Further investigation revealed that it was an insurance scam and the deceased wasn't actually deceased)

I remember in training (insurance adjuster) that our trainer mentioned a police report that she got in the mail from someone involved in an accident claim.  The police report had been "doctored" up a bit...using wax crayons.  Talk about "obvious"!

They got extremely upset when they weren't paid for the damages to their car.  They'd been the one who caused the accident (and they were trying to hide that, using crayon on an official document that would never in a billion years be filled out in crayon).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

magicdomino

« Reply #4602 on: February 10, 2016, 03:42:13 PM »

-The pretty certificate the hospital gave your parents is not an official birth certificate for use as identification on your Form I9 that is required by every employer in the US

I've had to explain several times that hospital birth certificates are not acceptable for getting a passport.  They are too easy to fake.  The blank certificates are a generic design and/or aren't carefully guarded, thus making it easy to obtain blanks.  All you need is someone with a decent hand for calligraphy and a newborn baby for the foot prints, and you can churn out lots of fakes.  These days, it is even easier with scanners and fonts.  Heck, there are so many hospitals, you don't even need a real one, since most places aren't going to take the trouble to look it up.

The passport office will accept old passports in lieu of a birth certificate, though.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #4603 on: February 10, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
Reading all these replies is but entertaining and worrisome.  :-\

I work in HR at a college and I have a few to add:

-Making a copy of your degree you received at graduation doesn't count as an official transcript

-Yes you do have to fill out tax paperwork if you want to get paid.

FYI - at my work, an expired passport can be used for proof of citizenship. They may make you have something else to establish your identity.