Author Topic: Superstitions  (Read 1366 times)

Tashigi

Re: Superstitions
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
I'm not one to follow most of them (though I do tap on wood (or wood product) when I say something along the lines of, "It's too [Q-word]."). I do find them fascinating.

A Laotian friend won't eat food from a dish on top of another dish (so think soup bowl on top of a dinner plate) because that's how you present food to the dead.

My (Asian) mom warned me that women should never sit on cold surfaces without a cushion of some sort otherwise their wombs will get cold and they'll either become infertile or catch a cold (I'm told that this is a Russian superstition too).

Never give knives, clocks or empty wallets to someone you care for, lest you cut the relationship, count down the hours they have left or wish them to be poor. I do follow the empty wallet rule and slip in a dollar or two.

In New Zealand, I heard that it's bad luck to sit with body parts on the wrong spots (e.g. feet on top of the table or seat of a chair, sitting on top of a table).

daen

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
<snip>

I notice a lot of women are extremely reluctant to put their purse on the floor because of a superstition that the money will run out.

I don't think I'd ever heard of the  "money will run out" belief before.

The women I know who are reluctant to put their purses on the floor are more concerned about getting said purses dirty or having said purses stolen because they're not in plain view.

Micah

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »
I have two black cats that routinely try to cross my path on the stairs  ::)

My MIL has HEAPS of superstitions, most of them ridiculous.  She told me not to hang washing while I was pregnant because it would make the cord wrap around the baby's neck. She got very upset that I wouldn't cover the mirror in my son's room because, "it's bad luck for a baby to see it's own reflection before its first birthday." She also screeched at me if I tickled son's feet because, "He'll grow up with a stutter!" Still tickle his feet, no stutter  ::)

I was born on black Friday, on a full moon, one minute from midnight. I did have a psychic tell me that because of those three things, pretty much everything that is bad luck for others was good luck for me. I know I've broken several mirrors, walked under multiple ladders and even opened umbrellas inside with no ill effect.  ;D When I tell people about the black Friday, midnight, moon thing, the general response is, "Oh, so that's what went wrong!" Lol
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »
I won't cut my nails on a Sunday.

??? Why not?
"After all this time?"
"Always."

123Sandy

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 11:03:34 PM »
I have one I HATE with a purple passion.

Full moon makes the kids crazy. When they add something about how the increased gravitational pull of the full moon effects the kids brains because we are 80% water - I want to jump on the teacher lounge table and make them repeat after me - the MASS of the moon doesn't change because of the amount of light we see reflected back.

The other one that bugs me is the put your purse on the floor and money will run out. I get scolded by other teachers about this they all hang their purses on these little hooks. My "purse" at any time may contain any combination of the following - my personal laptop, my chromebook, my school laptop, my school Ipad, my personal Ipad, and my Iphone. You want to talk about money spilling on the ground  - my purse falling from one of those hooks, or a chair could cost me thousands of dollars.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »
You know when you (general you) are at a party, and people are mingling and there are several different conversations going on, and yet for some reason, every now and again, inexplicably there's a lull in every conversation in the room, all at the same time?

Someone once told me, as a legit superstition, that those lulls always happen at either 20 minutes til or 20 minutes after the hour.

Ever since then, whenever I'm at a party, I mention this fact.  Inevitably someone will ask, "So, does it?"  And I always say, "I don't know; I just think it's funny because after I mention it, every time there's a lull, everyone in the room will look at their watch."
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Cherry91

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »
I'm not one to follow most of them (though I do tap on wood (or wood product) when I say something along the lines of, "It's too [Q-word]."). I do find them fascinating.

Never give knives, clocks or empty wallets to someone you care for, lest you cut the relationship, count down the hours they have left or wish them to be poor. I do follow the empty wallet rule and slip in a dollar or two.

Just remembered another one - you should always keep a silver coin in your wallet/purse, in order to always have money. My mother and I both mark the "lucky" coin with nail polish so we don't spend it by mistake.

Dawse

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 06:32:03 AM »
You know when you (general you) are at a party, and people are mingling and there are several different conversations going on, and yet for some reason, every now and again, inexplicably there's a lull in every conversation in the room, all at the same time?

Someone once told me, as a legit superstition, that those lulls always happen at either 20 minutes til or 20 minutes after the hour.

Ever since then, whenever I'm at a party, I mention this fact.  Inevitably someone will ask, "So, does it?"  And I always say, "I don't know; I just think it's funny because after I mention it, every time there's a lull, everyone in the room will look at their watch."

And it is absolutely guaranteed that I will say something embarrassing, very loudly, just as this mystical lull happens... Sigh. You'd have though I'd have learnt to keep my voice down by now, or at least check the ambient noise level before I open my enormous mouth...  ::)
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:54 AM »
One I did follow. I didn't want a 2013 sticker on my license plates. So I only renewed the registration for one year in 2011, then two years in 2012. I'm not sure why as I don't believe in any of the other ones.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
What is the Q word?

Quiet

OK, every unit in every hospital, I have cursed you!

If you Google "the Q word," you'll find tons of links to blogs/message boards where people mention it in connection with the emergency room (ER) or hospital ward.

It's apparently the health-care industry's equivalent of the Scottish play.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »

So you are playing with their minds!

I did once read somewhere (so you know exactly how credible that it) that there's a rough formula for how often that lull will occur, and it factors in the number of people in the room and the size of the room. So according to that theory, it would change from situation to situation.

Fi

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 04:45:10 PM »
I have two black cats that routinely try to cross my path on the stairs  ::)

Sounds like you're a very lucky person! I grew up with a culture where a black cat crossing your path is considered lucky.

In other superstitions, I will never be complacent about my sports teams because rugby and cricket are sports where the tables turn really easily.

And I will never approach a grey horse by water in moonlight. (Although that one's primarily a joke.)

On a more serious note, I won't buy a gift for a baby until it's born and healthy. Were I living in a baby shower culture, I'd probably give cash or a neutral gift card.