News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 26, 2017, 10:54:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 978726 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #5490 on: April 19, 2017, 06:43:12 PM »
Not to mention that some people who have to avoid milk, cream, etc. can still have cheese. My nieblings are like that. They are lactose intolorant, but in cheese it's broken down in such a way that it doesn't hurt them.
I have to have lactose free milk, but most cheese and yogurt aren't a problem at all for me. Ice cream is iffy, as is ricotta cheese.

Cheese and yoghurt are fine for me, but ice cream is doom, and I was incredibly happy when the Good Ethnic Boy found me lactose free custard!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #5491 on: April 19, 2017, 10:09:49 PM »
With #1 and #3 of my DD's, and #3's husband, dairy format appears to not matter.  All of it must be restricted to very small amounts, or GI distress is felt.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5492 on: April 20, 2017, 12:33:49 AM »
A friend of mine can handle most dairy products, so long as she takes a Lactaid or similar digestive helper for lactose. Not sure if form is a factor, as I've mostly seen it apply to cheese (and she loooooooves cheese), but while she can handle cow milk cheese fine (with assistance), goat milk cheese is an absolute no-go.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5493 on: April 20, 2017, 07:12:13 AM »
You can absolutely make a delicious sauce with cheese or a cheese substitute. But sweetened almond milk will not combine with grated cheese without a roux or some sort of emulsifier. Also, sweet macaroni and cheese is not pleasant.

I bake with almond milk, but I never cook savory items with it. I use coconut milk or dairy milk in cooking.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

LadyDyani

« Reply #5494 on: April 20, 2017, 07:22:16 AM »
Also, sweet macaroni and cheese is not pleasant.

Oh, that reminds me of one time I made a little whoops in the kitchen.

When I make baked mac, I usually use some sour cream, or greek yogurt (instead of milk) to make it creamier. Once I grabbed some yogurt out of the fridge and didn't realize I'd grabbed the vanilla yogurt, not the plain.

It was quite unpleasant and we ended up ordering a pizza that night.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5495 on: April 20, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »

When I make baked mac, I usually use some sour cream, or greek yogurt (instead of milk) to make it creamier. Once I grabbed some yogurt out of the fridge and didn't realize I'd grabbed the vanilla yogurt, not the plain.

Thats a double horror.  Yummy mac and cheese  AND yummy vanilla yogurt going to waste.  :)
Maryland

Carotte

« Reply #5496 on: April 20, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »

That's how my brother ended up with a vanilla-crab pie, grabbed the vanilla ready made pastry thingy and his crab filling. Not gonna recomand that.

Shalamar

« Reply #5497 on: April 20, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
My mum loves to tell the story of a shy young bride-to-be who decided to attend a cooking class with her soon-to-be mother-in-law.  The class that night was teaching how to make a cheesecake, which - just in case any EHellions don't know - is supposed to be sweet.  Bride volunteered to bring the cream cheese.  She accidentally grabbed the onion and chives variety.  Oops.

(That said, I think a savoury cheesecake would be pretty tasty.)

pattycake

« Reply #5498 on: April 20, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »
My mum loves to tell the story of a shy young bride-to-be who decided to attend a cooking class with her soon-to-be mother-in-law.  The class that night was teaching how to make a cheesecake, which - just in case any EHellions don't know - is supposed to be sweet.  Bride volunteered to bring the cream cheese.  She accidentally grabbed the onion and chives variety.  Oops.

(That said, I think a savoury cheesecake would be pretty tasty.)

I would try it!

lowspark

« Reply #5499 on: April 20, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »
There are recipes for savory cheesecakes. I made one once a long time ago. I don't remember the details and I'm not a huge cheesecake fan but I think it turned out pretty good. I'm sure recipes abound on the internet.

The thing about the onion/chive flavored cream cheese, though, is that you would never use that in a cheesecake, not because of its flavor, but because it's whipped. You need the actual cream cheese bricks to make a real cheesecake. Then you add whatever flavorings, sweet or savory, according to the recipe, as required.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5500 on: April 20, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »
I once made ancient Roman cheesecake, it was flour mixed with ricotta cheese and with a fresh bay leaf on the base of each bun. Then when it was baked I glazed them with honey.so it was sort of savoury.

Everyone said how well the bay leaves complimented the sweetness.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Dear surveyor,

It was not necessary to jump the 6' gate to access the backyard. Your company had the code for the lock box, which had the house and gate keys in it. I'm sorry you fell and hurt your knee.

Sincerely,

Me
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien