Author Topic: Thrift Score!  (Read 98327 times)

otterwoman

Re: Thrift Score!
« Reply #810 on: August 14, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
I stopped at a yard sale today. I picked up a heavy link bracelet, a bit grungy, for 10 cents.
Cleaned it up at home, it's sterling silver. Now it gleams!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #811 on: August 14, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
I stopped at a yard sale today. I picked up a heavy link bracelet, a bit grungy, for 10 cents.
Cleaned it up at home, it's sterling silver. Now it gleams!
What a find!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #812 on: August 14, 2014, 11:55:48 PM »
$3 wine rack at goodwill, now sits on top of the fridge, holding all the boxes of  baggies, foil & parchment paper that had been stacked willy-nilly.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #813 on: August 15, 2014, 06:10:50 AM »
$3 wine rack at goodwill, now sits on top of the fridge, holding all the boxes of  baggies, foil & parchment paper that had been stacked willy-nilly.
OH that is a GREAT idea! I have a cheap IKEA wine rack that hasn't yet come out of its' box, as well as five or ten rolls of stuff like that which is all stacked on or beside my microwave. I think I have a new use for the cheap wine rack! Great tip!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

gmatoy

« Reply #814 on: August 16, 2014, 02:19:40 AM »
OH that is a GREAT idea! I have a cheap IKEA wine rack that hasn't yet come out of its' box, as well as five or ten rolls of stuff like that which is all stacked on or beside my microwave. I think I have a new use for the cheap wine rack! Great tip!

Depending on how the wine rack is made, another use that I have seen is to put rolled towels in it for a guest bathroom with very little storage. The towels are out, visible and usable!

Amara

« Reply #815 on: August 16, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
I love these ideas for wine racks. Thank you both!

On topic, I went to my favorite thrift store today for the first time in about six weeks. (They are open only on Saturday, Monday and Wednesday, and I can only go on the weekend.) I had a great time! Found a very pretty green decorative pillow, approximately18x18" that is on one of the sofas now, a great green and white straw hat, and two large beautifully framed nineteenth-century botanical reproductions, all for $42.

gmatoy

« Reply #816 on: August 16, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
Leather jacket, pink, for $2.50! I'm going to be making doll shoes out of it.

allthelittledaisies

« Reply #817 on: August 17, 2014, 02:57:07 AM »
Not an enormous thing, but I found a super cute dress with pockets for all of 6 dollars! Pockets! I am so happy with it.

Jones

« Reply #818 on: August 17, 2014, 10:08:32 AM »
Rue 21 was having a big sale and I had a VIP 40% off discount card.

I purchased a number of skirts and tops but the most exciting thing was my First Ever Pair of Black Stilettos. I don't normally wear heels because they generally apply pressure to a particular bone in my left foot, and I have to remove them within an hour or two (getting through church only is a pain, much less the car ride after). Anyway, something about this style when I first tried them on told me they weren't going to hurt. For $5 I figured it was worth a try.

I love them and after a 1 hour wearing Friday and 2 hours last night, it appears they love me. I am crossing my fingers and going back when my $20 of Ruebucks are good next month to do some shoe shopping.

Elisabunny

« Reply #819 on: August 17, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »
Not an enormous thing, but I found a super cute dress with pockets for all of 6 dollars! Pockets! I am so happy with it.

I beg to differ with you.  A cute dress with pockets is indeed an enormous thing.  ;D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

allthelittledaisies

« Reply #820 on: August 17, 2014, 02:59:29 PM »

I beg to differ with you.  A cute dress with pockets is indeed an enormous thing.  ;D

Why, thank you! It has certainly made my summer.  :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #821 on: August 18, 2014, 10:00:43 AM »
School supplies! Found the store brand hard binders 1" for $5 each and composition notebooks for $1 each.

sassydeej

« Reply #822 on: August 18, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
Not recently but back in 2001.   My sister was getting married and my son was going to be the ringbearer.  I went to a garage sale and happened to spot a youth tuxedo for $7.  I called my sister to see if she was okay if he wore that for the wedding and she said yes so I picked it up.  Managed to find him a white button down shirt on clearance for $3 and had the seamstress that was making my maid of honor dress make a bowtie for him.  I think the shoes ended up being the most expensive part of the wedding outfit for him but the total outfit still came in under $25.00...much cheaper than an $80 tuxedo rental for an almost 3 year old.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #823 on: August 18, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
Not a score for me but for the beneficiary of stuff we're cleaning out of my Dad's house as he moves to an apartment.  He was a school teacher and had supplies he brought with him from another city in the 60's!  (Still good - notebooks and stuff.)

The wife of one of the guys I work with teaches kindergarten.  She was quite thrilled with the assortment of paper, notebooks, notecards, pencils, pencil crayons, crayons, stickers, you name it.  I hope she has fun going through it all and passing out the stuff she can't use to other people.  There will be more, I'm sure.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario