News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 05, 2015, 10:13:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1487439 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #7245 on: July 01, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »
There is supposed to be an old joke about Jonas Salk (penicillin) looking at his plate at yet another banquet and muttering under his breath that he wished he'd discovered a cure for Chicken a la King instead.

Salk discovered/developed the polio vaccine. Penecillin was discovered by Alexander Fleming.

Ah - that actually makes more sense...it's been far too many years since I read the anecdote about "cure for Chicken a la King".  Which actually isn't bad, the couple of times I've eaten it...but I imagine that eating it at a number of banquets might have ruined it for the guy...

It also makes the case for "always Google"...as I would not have misremembered his contribution to medical history if I had done just one Google search.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7246 on: July 01, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »
Was the chicken at least good? I can eat the same recipe everyday if it's good. But when chicken is bad, it's inedible. Can't even force it down to be polite.

It was, actually  :P I'm not a fan of peppers, though, so the rice and the vegetables were less than appealing for three days straight . . .

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #7247 on: July 02, 2015, 01:05:30 AM »
There is supposed to be an old joke about Jonas Salk (penicillin) looking at his plate at yet another banquet and muttering under his breath that he wished he'd discovered a cure for Chicken a la King instead.

Salk discovered/developed the polio vaccine. Penecillin was discovered by Alexander Fleming.

Ah - that actually makes more sense...it's been far too many years since I read the anecdote about "cure for Chicken a la King".  Which actually isn't bad, the couple of times I've eaten it...but I imagine that eating it at a number of banquets might have ruined it for the guy...

It also makes the case for "always Google"...as I would not have misremembered his contribution to medical history if I had done just one Google search.

It doesn't really matter , of course, and it's a great anecdote.  You happened to say it just as I'm doing some research on Fleming for a novel, so it hit a chord. It just happened my Googling was on target!
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Otterpop

« Reply #7248 on: Yesterday at 08:27:20 PM »
Was the chicken at least good? I can eat the same recipe everyday if it's good. But when chicken is bad, it's inedible. Can't even force it down to be polite.

It was, actually  :P I'm not a fan of peppers, though, so the rice and the vegetables were less than appealing for three days straight . . .

That sounds dreadful.  Can't imagine a catering company thinking the same dinner night after night is o.k., especially for people who didn't like it the first time. :(

Reminds me of the Subway sandwich debacle of '96.  My DH and I were working a warehouse sale for an upscale Beverly Hills boutique.  We were there from 8 am to 8 pm, 3 days in a row.  It was an industrial area there so there was no food to be had within a reasonable distance.  The boutique managers brought in lunch and dinner each day.  Only 1 type of food though, Subway sandwiches.  You had a choice of turkey or roast beef, both of which I liked at the time. However after 3 days and 6 meals of them I couldn't look at another Subway sandwich for years.  I also lost 5 pounds a la the Jared diet.