News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 03, 2016, 06:29:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Scariest Sounds I Know (as an adult)  (Read 1945 times)

Roodabega

Re: The Scariest Sounds I Know (as an adult)
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »
If you ask my wife, I think she might say the scariest sounds she knows is when I say "Ya know, I've been thinking...."

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 08:06:35 PM »
When you are home alone, the dog looks at the door and gives that low rumbling growl that mean he will eat the person on the other side of the door. Worse, when he starts pacing the house growling like that.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 08:18:37 PM »

Power transformers exploding.

When I was still living at home, I was probably 16 or 17. Had a storm knock out the power, so I was sitting in the living room, reading, by the big picture window, lightening hit the transformer on the pole across the street. The boom scared me half to death.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 08:26:46 PM »
A cat or young child throwing up. One bight when DS had gastro we went through all our bed linen.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 09:48:59 PM »
A cat or young child throwing up. One bight when DS had gastro we went through all our bed linen.

It's been roughly fifteen years - but I remember getting up three times one night when VorSon (then about five or six) was sleeping on blankets in my room because he wasn't feeling well.

No kidding, after three "simultaneous eruptions from both ends", I left the washing machine going with load two, the dryer going with load one, and load three in the laundry basket and took him to the ER.  Where we had to wait because he was no longer throwing up.  We got home Saturday morning as the alarm for work was going off at 6 am.  (I hadn't turned it off due to being a bit busy...) and the only diagnosis was along the lines of "he  must have eaten something that disagreed with him or he's got the 24 hour bug that's going around - seems to be over the worst of it now..."

I still had laundry to do when we woke up...about noon.  I have no memory of what Ambrosia Hino was doing that night - she might have been working the night shift at the burger place and gotten home only shortly before we did...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:50:34 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #50 on: Today at 10:58:48 AM »
Children playing.
Silence.
The unique, piercing shriek of a child who has been seriously injured. It's a completely different sound from "I've scraped my elbow".

Your demolitions instructor interrupting your dinner to say "There was an accident today. You need to contact your family and let them know you're okay." (Six people had died on the range our class had been scheduled on. We got bumped by the double booking.) It's been nearly 30 years and I still get cold chills when I recall that announcement.
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo