Author Topic: Stain removal help, please?  (Read 315 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Stain removal help, please?
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »
So today was not a good day at work, at least not for my shirt. It is now stained with red gel ink and tea, in close proximity. *

Any tried and true suggestions on how to get either or both stains out?

It's a cotton/lycra knit shirt, aqua in color. So whatever I use has to not remove the original color of the shirt. And yes, both stains are right up front and center.

*Someone tripped and spilled her mug of tea. Some of it splashed onto my shirt. I went to the ladies' room to wet down the tea with cold water. There was someone in there attempting to deal with the aftermath of an exploding red gel pen. There was red ink all over the counter and despite my efforts, a bit of it got onto my shirt.

Fortunately, I had brought a cardigan with me today, so I could button that up during the presentation I had to give. Truly a fun day at work.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

zainabzks

Re: Stain removal help, please?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:42:07 PM »
hair spray removes ink from clothing.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 01:44:06 PM »
Tea is really tough -- trust me, I have tons of tea stained tops.  Treat as soon as possible (can you soak it and just wear the cardigan?  Gym top in the car?)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

greencat

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »
Tea and coffee often come out with alcohol especially if the stain is fresh - hand sanitizer gel often has a high enough alcohol concentration to do the trick.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »
I used to use rubbing alcohol to remove ball point ink stains but not sure if it works on gel ink.  Tea should come out with washing.  If possible treat the stains at once!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »
Hairspray -- for the ink. Although I've only used it for permanent marker and ball-point pen stains, but it's a miracle worker.

JoW

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
Hair spray contains rubbing alcohol.  Thats why it removes ink. 

For that mess I would take the shirt to a professional cleaner and tell them what the stains are.  If the shirt can be saved they can do it.