News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 12:56:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 429440 times)

Chez Miriam

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #3165 on: September 27, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »
This is going to sound disgusting, but it's not!

Compost-heap-jelly scum on crusty white bread with French butter.  Yum. :)  The Captain decided to save the 'scum'* from a batch of jam making as it was too delicious to throw away.  I never would have thought of that, but it's just fruit (juice) and sugar, so what's not to like? 8)

* Basically just air bubbles, as far as we can tell...

My mother & grandmothers would make jam, jelly, and can or freeze various fruits & vegetables when I was young.  The skimming of the jelly was to let the jars be full of only clear jelly and no air to start the flavor degrading over the next year or two...

We kids thought that warm bubbly jelly on breakfast biscuits was delicious...not that we'd turn down the better looking but not bubbly stuff later in the year...but the foam was a treat that only came around during the canning season.

Thank you so much for posting that, VorFemme!

It had never occurred to me to eat the "waste", and I was feeling a bit "hinky". :)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Team HoundMom

« Reply #3166 on: September 27, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »
So I was at the gym at lunch and there are two other girls who go there around the same time. We all happened to be in the changeroom at once so we were chitchatting about the gym and some of the regulars. 

Girl #1: "...then there's that smokin' hot guy who drives the vintage Mercedes..."

Me: "That's my gym crush!"

Girl #1: "He's my gym crush too!"

Girl #2: "Mine too!!"

All 3 of us: "HAHAHAHAHA!!!"

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3167 on: September 27, 2017, 09:18:59 PM »
This is going to sound disgusting, but it's not!

Compost-heap-jelly scum on crusty white bread with French butter.  Yum. :)  The Captain decided to save the 'scum'* from a batch of jam making as it was too delicious to throw away.  I never would have thought of that, but it's just fruit (juice) and sugar, so what's not to like? 8)

* Basically just air bubbles, as far as we can tell...

My mother & grandmothers would make jam, jelly, and can or freeze various fruits & vegetables when I was young.  The skimming of the jelly was to let the jars be full of only clear jelly and no air to start the flavor degrading over the next year or two...

We kids thought that warm bubbly jelly on breakfast biscuits was delicious...not that we'd turn down the better looking but not bubbly stuff later in the year...but the foam was a treat that only came around during the canning season.

Thank you so much for posting that, VorFemme!

It had never occurred to me to eat the "waste", and I was feeling a bit "hinky". :)

The jars filled with clear jelly - like a single round jewel of delicious fruit for later - were what was desired and what wins prizes at county fairs...the foamy stuff was skimmed off for appearance's sake - not for lack of taste...as a bonus, eating it kept the kids from getting into the still cooling jars...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

andi

« Reply #3168 on: September 27, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »
We figured out how to get the stupid pop up banner off the bottom of the tv!!

vintagegal

« Reply #3169 on: September 28, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »
A high-functioning but developmentally disabled volunteer where I volunteer came up with a GENIUS way of doing a simple task much faster and more efficiently, and was so happy to show it to everyone!!

Girlie

« Reply #3170 on: September 28, 2017, 10:04:31 AM »
I love it when someone says that my daughter is "absolutely gorgeous!" and then follows up with "I can't believe how she looks just like you!" 

audhs

« Reply #3171 on: September 28, 2017, 05:26:36 PM »
I was having kind of a sucky day, and decided to buy myself a Starbucks coffee, as pick me up.

When I got up to the payment window the lady in front of me had payed for my drink. I almost cried.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3172 on: October 02, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »
Today, I accidentally found out my printer will print double sided. This comes in handy since one of my classes involves me printing out a TON on handouts. I'm going through a lot of paper, which is also taking up a lot of space in my folder. Double win.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3173 on: October 03, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
I managed to get my embroidery machine working again - after posting to the Facebook page for the brand's line of embroidery machines (not run by the company), it turned out to be a bit of lint or thread obscuring a sensor & reseating the embroidery thread in a second sensor on the thread path...

It only took three sessions with removing the cover, using the can of compressed air, and replacing the cover to get *everything* cleared out - but it's working and even a whole can of compressed air is cheaper than taking it to the repair shop when you're leaving for a three week trip (birthday party in the middle of the trip) very early Friday morning.

Now get cracking on making the item that the embroidery is supposed to be applied to as a patch (trim to shape & hem all four sides for a blanket for a single bed).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #3174 on: October 03, 2017, 09:58:25 PM »
You haven't lived until you've seen OK GO do The Muppets Show Theme Song.

pattycake

« Reply #3175 on: October 03, 2017, 11:19:39 PM »
You haven't lived until you've seen OK GO do The Muppets Show Theme Song.

Never heard of them, but it was pretty funny!

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #3176 on: October 04, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
Feast your eyes on Chris Dane Owens' "Shine On Me", aka "The Room" of music videos aka what would happen if Legalos Greenleaf and Viserys Targaryen had a child.

Believe it or not, there is a sequel called "Light Speed".

vintagegal

« Reply #3177 on: October 08, 2017, 07:29:20 AM »
This never fails to crack me up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3mlG-TftoM

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3178 on: October 17, 2017, 01:58:12 PM »
I just found out that Cookie Monster is getting his own cooking show on PBS!

Apparently he will have a food truck and kids will write in about how to make a specific dish.  Cookie and his friend (a new character named Gonger) will then drive to the place where a specific ingredient is made/grown, learn about the ingredient, and then cook the dish.

Padma Lakshmi from Top Chef has already signed on to be a guest star.  I would love to see some other famous chefs make appearances.

I am also, secretly, hoping they come out with T-shirts for Cookie's Food Truck.  Cookie has always been my favorite!

vintagegal

« Reply #3179 on: October 23, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »
Made a bunch of knit hats for the winter coat drive at the agency where I work. They have all been taken!!