Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 16156 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »
My cat pooped!!! Yeah, I know it doesn't sound like something to be happy about, but he was very sick for the past three days with a blockage in his colon, and after a trip to the emergency vet and lots of prayers, everything seems to be moving along smoothly.

I remember that feeling!
I'm glad for you both.

I was laughing at myself as I was telling my brother my version of the "happy about cat poop!" story, and he said, "It reminds me of how I got excited the first time our child had a solid poop."

And then we were both rolling our eyes at ourselves, getting excited about solid fecal matter.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »
BEER CHEESE SOUP!  Okay, I have been ridiculously excited ever since I saw that was on the work cafe menu for today's soup at lunch.  They only make it once or twice a year and grumble because it's so expensive (then charge more that day, I don't care, I never get the soup otherwise).  They are also setting out bread bowls for it because it's really more like a fondue.   So happy I get it today!

cwm

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
BEER CHEESE SOUP!  Okay, I have been ridiculously excited ever since I saw that was on the work cafe menu for today's soup at lunch.  They only make it once or twice a year and grumble because it's so expensive (then charge more that day, I don't care, I never get the soup otherwise).  They are also setting out bread bowls for it because it's really more like a fondue.   So happy I get it today!

That sounds delicious! I'm now jealous of your work lunch. I've got whatever's in the vending machines, which isn't much.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Three things:

1) I owe waaaaaaay less on a credit card than I previously thought and the notion of only paying XXX instead of XXXX makes my churning stomach happy.

2) Just found out that Stonecold was wrong and I CAN work extra hours at straight time after all, so MORE money to pay down other credit card more quickly and.....

3) Because my stomach has been churning, I will weigh in about four pounds lighter at the weight watchers meeting today.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2013, 11:13:48 AM »
This has had me smiling for days. Discussing where we are in wedding plans with my great-uncle and when I tell him we're looking at reception venues and caters (along with ceremony venues) he says "Oh forget all that, we'll just go down to Hometown buffet! That's a good buffet, I'll call ahead, get the big room!", I just love my family for never trying to impress anyone (this is my mom's dad's brother-in-law, the whole side is very relaxed, grandma's family is different story).

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
This has had me smiling for days. Discussing where we are in wedding plans with my great-uncle and when I tell him we're looking at reception venues and caters (along with ceremony venues) he says "Oh forget all that, we'll just go down to Hometown buffet! That's a good buffet, I'll call ahead, get the big room!", I just love my family for never trying to impress anyone (this is my mom's dad's brother-in-law, the whole side is very relaxed, grandma's family is different story).

I love his comment made you smile versus you getting upset with him. You are going to be an awesome bride.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2013, 11:32:24 AM »
I go to a meeting of a club every week and every week I come early to help set up refreshments and stay late to clean. It's not an official duty, it's just something I like to do to contribute to the group. Despite that, the woman who's officially in charge of refreshments is very bossy and has never once said "thank you." This week I found hot cups on sale so I picked up a bunch to donate to the group's supplies. Doing so made me run a little late, so when I came in 10 minutes before the meeting started instead of 15, hauling a giant bag of styrofoam cups, the coordinator got huffy with me. It made me decide that maybe I didn't actually want to help in this way again.

While nobody overheard us, during our break two or three members who I don't know came up to me and thanked me for always setting up and cleaning. Afterwards, they stayed and helped pack things up in record time, laughing and talking the whole time, before the "official" even stopped chatting and walked over to do her own job.

It was a really nice reminder that I do this for the community I'm a part of, not for the bossy woman, and it was really touching that people noticed something that on the surface can seem really minor.

heartmug

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »

I love his comment made you smile versus you getting upset with him. You are going to be an awesome bride.

I agree!  Instead of saying "Home Town Buffet?!  I will NEVER have my wedding reception there!" you were very kind about his suggestion.  An awesome bride indeed  :)
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »

I agree!  Instead of saying "Home Town Buffet?!  I will NEVER have my wedding reception there!" you were very kind about his suggestion.  An awesome bride indeed  :)

:) (needed an "aw shucks" smiley!) I never would've even thought to react another way. The family just always goes to Home Town after any big to-do, perfect place for a wedding reception. He never had one, my great-aunt and him just did a court house deal and then went back to her parent's house for supper. And his first wife and him did a small church ceremony and then over to his parent's house for a pot-luck dinner with various friends and family members, because that was all they could afford (and it was one of those "gotta get married wink-wink" type deals). He's a sweet man, I could never get upset with him for what is actually a decent suggestion. Hey, they have lots of different food, they handle the clean up, if only they had a better dancing area.

I'm having trouble even grasping the idea of reacting negatively. See it's times like these I'm reassured I won't turn into a bridezilla. Neither will Partner, when I told her his plan, she says "Sounds fantastic! They got self serve ice cream!".

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »
i posted this on the "get fit" thread but over the past 5 months i lost 23 lbs. I still have a ways to go - this 23 lbs represents about 25% of what i need to lose overall - but it's a nice chunk and I haven't been "this low" in many years.

So i recently flew to the US - that was four flights in total (to London and then to NY and then back again). my previous visit was about 7 months ago - and on that flight i was *very* uncomfortable. felt very hedged in my seat, the seat belt *just* closed, the tray couldn't be pulled all the way down, etc. This time - it was a breeze, got in my seat with room to spare, pulled on the seat belt and had quite a few inches leftover, and was able to pull the tray all the way down (ok, it was a tight fit but i did it). AND at one point i had to make a mad dash through heathrow airport (long story, but i got to the wrong gate and had to go find the right gate) - i must have been running for about 10 minutes straight. running. not walking fast, running. i got to my gate and i wasn't sweating or gasping for air.

now on to the next 20 lbs. and the next. and the next...

Y'know, I'm not sure you qualify for this thread!

I think this goes in the one titled "Really Huge, Incredible, Wonderful Things That Make You Smile and Others Stand in Awe"

Go, you!!!

Losing weight can be really tough! I'm glad you're getting some payoff!
awwww

thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »

At the risk of sounding totally maudlin ... reading this thread :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2013, 03:26:43 PM »
If it's okay, I've got one for me, and one for my coworker.

Yesterday was my birthday, and I spent the first half of it in meetings at a conference, then on a flight home, then on a freeway packed at rush hour. I got home at about 7 knowing that DH and DD were out, so the house was empty.

On the table were two birthday cards (real paper ones!), a note saying my dinner (nicely plated and wrapped up) was in the fridge, and DH's old iPod was sitting on the table with Weird Al Yankovic's "Happy Birthday" song queued up. (My real b-day dinner is tonight, I've been told there will be cake).

My new co-worker started two months ago. She had a hyphenated name, but I heard her identify herself with just part of her last name, so I asked her what she preferred to be called. Her face lit up like a firefly! Turns out she is going through a nasty divorce and going back to her maiden name. Every time I introduce her to someone using the name she prefers, she gets this huge smile.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
My new co-worker started two months ago. She had a hyphenated name, but I heard her identify herself with just part of her last name, so I asked her what she preferred to be called. Her face lit up like a firefly! Turns out she is going through a nasty divorce and going back to her maiden name. Every time I introduce her to someone using the name she prefers, she gets this huge smile.

That's so awesome! And so nice of you to ask and use the right one!

It also reminded me of a small one for me today. I got our invite to Partner's office annual holiday party, in the past few years it's been addressed to both of us, so today it was "Partner and Glitter MyLastName" (instead of our separate last names). So I questioned Partner on why they were putting it this way and she said "Oh, I started using your last name at work, just to test it out. They must've remembered when they made they invites". I was so happy!!! I knew she wanted to take my last name after we're married, but I love the fact that she already started using it at work! And that they noticed!!!

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »
DD is finally picking up on sign language!  We've been signing at her for about seven months now, and for awhile she would use maybe one or two signs and even then, not reliably.  All of a sudden she's telling us "eat" and "milk" and "book" and "light" and "music" and I feel like I'm having conversations with my toddler!  (Okay, not really, but it makes me giddy to know that we're communicating, even on a very basic level.)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Bandu

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »
This all-legs, 3-month-old stray puppy that found its way to my house in the middle of nowhere. (I must have a Welcome sign out front in dog language -- they always find me.)

As much as I don't need a fifth stray mutt, what's making me happy is puppy breath, puppy snuggling, puppy bounding, puppy puppy puppy!