Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 45571 times)

perpetua

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #450 on: August 16, 2014, 08:39:35 AM »
Bit of a weird one this, but I always did say I wasn't really a typical girl:  The Canadian Lancaster Bomber, "Vera", is currently in the UK on a tour. Alongside "Thumper", the Lancaster based here in the UK that operates as part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, Vera is the only other airworthy Lancaster left in existence. To see the pictures and videos of the two of them finally flying side by side has just been amazing. Sadly most of the airshow appearances near enough to get to have clashed with my hospital stay so I haven't been able to see them in person but perhaps I'll manage a trip out of town on one of the future weekends to catch them before she flies back home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xDPh_WNXqI - they really are so majestic, I love them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:48:34 AM by perpetua »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #451 on: August 18, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »
Bit of a weird one this, but I always did say I wasn't really a typical girl:  The Canadian Lancaster Bomber, "Vera", is currently in the UK on a tour. Alongside "Thumper", the Lancaster based here in the UK that operates as part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, Vera is the only other airworthy Lancaster left in existence. To see the pictures and videos of the two of them finally flying side by side has just been amazing. Sadly most of the airshow appearances near enough to get to have clashed with my hospital stay so I haven't been able to see them in person but perhaps I'll manage a trip out of town on one of the future weekends to catch them before she flies back home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xDPh_WNXqI - they really are so majestic, I love them.

I had no idea there were only two Lancasters left fly-worthy.  I haven't been specifically to see 'Vera' but I think have seen her overhead a time or two because my house is near the flight path to the local Canadian Forces Base where they do an air show every year.  Now I know why the announcers are always so excited when they talk about the Lancaster bomber participating!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

missanpan

« Reply #452 on: August 24, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #453 on: August 24, 2014, 08:56:21 PM »
Actually had a pleasant experience in Walmart today.  Went to get the boys inexpensive gym uniforms and succeeded, buying each a plain gray t-shirt and dark shorts for $18 and change, whereas two uniforms would have cost us $40 had we bought them from the school.

Second, I get in line between two women with full carts. The first looks at what I have in my arms (didn't even bother getting a cart) and says "Oh, please, go ahead of me!" So I thanked her and moved between her and the one ahead of her. Who also said "Oh go ahead of me too, I'm going to take forever!" 

Also, sometimes when I go to Walmart, things will end up costing more than what it says on the tag/shelf but there were no unpleasant surprises.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #454 on: August 24, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Getting to see my church family in GradSchoolCity (GSC). The woman who sits next to me in choir, as soon as she saw me, yelled, "Cabbage! I'm so glad you're back!" and hugged me.

Church in GSC installed a new pastor today as well. I'm excited to get to know the new pastor better.

I got to hang out with some new people and laughed like I haven't in a long time. This summer has been stressful, and it was nice to be able to kick back and laugh till my roomie and her friends thought I was going to die.

I can finally relax in my dorm room after an insanely busy two days. I do have to go get my roomie from an event, but that's not an onerous task, considering I had to drive 6 hours at a stretch yesterday.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #455 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:31 PM »
Being told by someone at church "Wow, you really know how to hug!" :)  I told my kids when I got home and they said "Well, you do, Mom, we love your hugs." :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #456 on: August 26, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »
About a month and a half ago, we were at story time at the library and my DD was scared of the prince. Obviously since she was dressed as a princess, and he's a prince, he would want to marry her. It all ended well, he promised not to marry her, and they agreed to be friends. DD is still determined not to marry him. At first, she said she wouldn't marry him even if he cried and cried and cried. Now she's worried about him because he is crying and crying and crying (btw...love her self-confidence. She's absolutely convinced that there's a prince out there crying his eyes out over her).

Since I want to get back into embroidery, and need a project, we're going to make him a handkerchief to dry his tears :).

The silly thing that made me smile: the pattern that DD approved was a pansy. According to the pattern book I found it in, in Elizabethan times pansies meant "love in vain" When I saw that, I started giggling at how apropos that meaning is for this particular project! :D
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #457 on: August 26, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
About a month and a half ago, we were at story time at the library and my DD was scared of the prince. Obviously since she was dressed as a princess, and he's a prince, he would want to marry her. It all ended well, he promised not to marry her, and they agreed to be friends. DD is still determined not to marry him. At first, she said she wouldn't marry him even if he cried and cried and cried. Now she's worried about him because he is crying and crying and crying (btw...love her self-confidence. She's absolutely convinced that there's a prince out there crying his eyes out over her).

Since I want to get back into embroidery, and need a project, we're going to make him a handkerchief to dry his tears :).

The silly thing that made me smile: the pattern that DD approved was a pansy. According to the pattern book I found it in, in Elizabethan times pansies meant "love in vain" When I saw that, I started giggling at how apropos that meaning is for this particular project! :D

Please tell me that you're going to tell the prince in question the entire story of why he's receiving a pansy handkerchief and what the pansy traditionally represented!  ;D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #458 on: August 26, 2014, 04:21:42 PM »
Grudgingly went to Macy's to return an item for my DD. I walked through the shoe department as I was leaving and there happened to be a salesman not terribly busy and a great end of season sale. Every shoe I wanted to try was in stock in my size. Walked out with 4 pairs of shoes for less than $70.

magicdomino

« Reply #459 on: August 26, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »
Tomato juice.  No, really. 

I picked a bunch of paste tomatoes over the weekend.  Now, this variety is dry and tasteless if you try to eat it fresh.  Seriously, it makes Roma look like a heirloom beefsteak.  However, it breaks down into a very good sauce when cooked.  I wanted a fresh-tasting sauce without hours of cooking, so I drained the peeled and cut-up tomatoes before cooking.  I tasted the drained juice. It was excellent!  It didn't even need salt.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »
We just received tickets for a moonlight cemetery walk.  We'll bring our own flashlights and visit the graves of people ranging from Boss Tweed to Leonard Bernstein.  The description sounds as if the tour may be 'visited' by some of the permanent residents.  It also said that the tour will be accompanied by live accordion music. 

The accordion is the  part that made me smile.  I have to wonder what Leonard Bernstein would make of that. 

daen

« Reply #461 on: August 28, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
We just received tickets for a moonlight cemetery walk.  We'll bring our own flashlights and visit the graves of people ranging from Boss Tweed to Leonard Bernstein.  The description sounds as if the tour may be 'visited' by some of the permanent residents.  It also said that the tour will be accompanied by live accordion music. 

The accordion is the  part that made me smile.  I have to wonder what Leonard Bernstein would make of that.

Perhaps they're hoping that the accordion music will prompt Mr. Bernstein to make an appearance - although whether to enjoy the music or correct the musician in his/her interpretation or choice of instrument is hard to say. (I have no information on Bernstein's view of accordions.)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #462 on: August 29, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
Just got two packages for some cosplay items.

1) A "gambler" hat from the Gentleman's Emporium.
2) A beautiful cotton band-collar shirt with two detachable collars, from Cattle Kate
3) A "Sunday go to meeting" tie (Cattle Kate)
4) New suspenders (Cattle Kate.)

We're going out later today to pick out material for trousers, vest and a frock coat.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #463 on: August 29, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »

Just remember this (it applies to banjos and bagpipes as well): The definition of a gentleman: A man who knows how to play the accordion and refrains from proving it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

daen

« Reply #464 on: August 29, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »

Just remember this (it applies to banjos and bagpipes as well): The definition of a gentleman: A man who knows how to play the accordion and refrains from proving it.

Maybe so. But I once was walking down the street and heard someone playing Bach on a pipe organ somewhere two streets over. I then turned the corner and discovered the someone in question was playing Bach - but on an accordion in in a cobblestone alley. It sounded amazing.