Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 33254 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Silly things that have made you happy recently
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Most parent's get excited about academic, athletic or other accomplishments. But DH and I laugh about the little things we've gotten excited about.

DD is directionally challenged. When she started driving, it was hilarious the number of times she got lost. Once she (16 at the time) and my son(14 at the time) drove to a fast food place that is about 4 miles away. Once out of our neighborhood she had to go to a major intersection, turn south, drive about 2 miles, turn west at another major intersection and see the restaurant on the left. This was not her or his first time there. Getting home should have been a snap. But she and DS passed the street they had driven south on, passed 2 more major streets they should have recognized that would have brought them south into our neighborhood, drove under a major freeway intersection (neither said, hey, I don't remember driving under a freeway on our way) and continued on another 4-5 miles to they got to her old elementary school when she said "huh, I think we might have missed our turn". 

Two years later DD is now in college out of state. She needed to fly home about a month ago which required her to drive from college town to larger city, find the airport and long term parking and make to the terminal on time. I was so thrilled when she texted me that she had arrived at gate with time to spare.  Thank you Germin.

DS is 16 and has never had much concern for what he is wearing. DD was his fashion consultant when she was home and I didn't want to become that "mom" bossing him on clothes once he left. He always hated shopping so DD and I would go buy clothes for him, bring home, he'd try on and pick the things he thought were comfortable. If we told him to put on a suit, he put on a suit. If DD said she didn't like a shirt with a pair of shorts, he'd change. He just showed no interest in clothes at all. 

I'd bought him a pair of shorts last week and though I didn't see them when he tried them on, I was suprised when he came down wearing them last night. I mentioned "Oh, are you ok with those, they are shorter than you normally wear." His repsonse "You do know that styles change, right?"  I was ready to jump up and down (despite is smart mouth comeback) because it seemed he actually was one day going to care about his appearance.  WhooHoo!

And the silliest of things is I found Blue Bell Mexican Praline ice cream at the grocery store last week. DS ate half of it the first night. >:( But I got the last bowl of it last night. ;D

cwm

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:08:20 PM »
I had someone get my Halloween costume. Which may not sound like a big deal, but BF and I went as characters from Doctor Who, and not many of the friends at the party we were at watch that show.

Also, I felt like such an adult. Walked into Home Depot and found what I was looking for without any assistance. I did some impromptu research at the store and answered my own questions.

People liked the beer dip I made, too. One guy even asked me for the recipe. I will be giving it to him within a few days. But I never make the "popular" food. It felt so nice.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 05:12:52 PM »
People liked the beer dip I made, too. One guy even asked me for the recipe. I will be giving it to him within a few days. But I never make the "popular" food. It felt so nice.

Would you mind posting it in recipe requests? We have some beer that is better suited to cooking than drinking. I would love to have more recipes.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
I had someone get my Halloween costume. Which may not sound like a big deal, but BF and I went as characters from Doctor Who, and not many of the friends at the party we were at watch that show.

Also, I felt like such an adult. Walked into Home Depot and found what I was looking for without any assistance. I did some impromptu research at the store and answered my own questions.

I completely understand being happy about that. DH and I once attended a party and unless he was standing beside me, my after 5 black sparkly dress just made me look like I overdressed for a Halloween party.

BarensMom

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »
My birthday present.

I woke up Friday with a wrapped box on the table containing a box of Nilla wafers from Baren and a two-carat diamond ring from DH.  The first thing I did was go outside in my PJ's and hold it up to the light - it's so sparkly!  The second thing was to feed Baren the wafers.

EllenS

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
We got a pear tree and a dwarf apple tree over the weekend, and DH planted them. I just like going out and looking at them.

They are the prettiest mostly-n*ked sticks I ever saw!

DD2 can get her own water from the kitchen faucet and ice-packs for minor boo-boos now.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »

I found jeans that fit me perfectly, and they were on sale so I bought 3 pair.
...then I lost about 15 pounds, LOL.  ;D I'm sure it will come back, but that really had me laughing yesterday.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 07:43:27 PM »
Thai isn't very recent, but it is rather silly. After we lost the baby I'm August I was laid up  for a while and didn't have a lot of energy. When it started to come back DH and I walked up the shops taking our time and with a cane. He said even if I didn't think I needed it it would make people careful about me.

The shopping centre we have is big, quite a few floors and stores, but they have wheelchairs and scooters for hire. We got one to go around and it felt like the first time I'd really smiled in a while. I know I got a few looks from people thinking what I was doing on a scooter usually used by the elderly when I looked fairly able bodied, but it was SUCH FUN to zoom about the shopping centre. We eventually went to the bank last, and DH left me there so he could return it and rode it back. I still think of that when I see the scooters.

workingmum

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 05:53:37 AM »
The roses that were grievously neglected by the former tenant of my house have come out beautifully after me spending a few hours pruning and fertilising them.. I dont even like roses - but they look amazing!
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »
i posted this on the "get fit" thread but over the past 5 months i lost 23 lbs. I still have a ways to go - this 23 lbs represents about 25% of what i need to lose overall - but it's a nice chunk and I haven't been "this low" in many years.

So i recently flew to the US - that was four flights in total (to London and then to NY and then back again). my previous visit was about 7 months ago - and on that flight i was *very* uncomfortable. felt very hedged in my seat, the seat belt *just* closed, the tray couldn't be pulled all the way down, etc. This time - it was a breeze, got in my seat with room to spare, pulled on the seat belt and had quite a few inches leftover, and was able to pull the tray all the way down (ok, it was a tight fit but i did it). AND at one point i had to make a mad dash through heathrow airport (long story, but i got to the wrong gate and had to go find the right gate) - i must have been running for about 10 minutes straight. running. not walking fast, running. i got to my gate and i wasn't sweating or gasping for air.

now on to the next 20 lbs. and the next. and the next...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 07:05:33 AM »
I have a self set sunflower growing in my garden and it's opened up over the last few days. I like sunflowers anyway, but I especially like this one because it has decided to show its face to world at the end of October. In the UK. And its been torrential rain on and off for the last week. Silly plant. But I love it  ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 08:35:26 AM »
My almost 2 year old normally does not like when you get close to him with a wipe to wash off his face so I was pretty sure there was no way he'd let me close enough to draw minion goggles on him for his costume.

Well, to my surprise, he did! :) Now I know that I'm going to see if I can find a silver eyeliner pen to make them look more like the minion's goggles.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 08:58:21 AM »

I found jeans that fit me perfectly, and they were on sale so I bought 3 pair.
...then I lost about 15 pounds, LOL.  ;D I'm sure it will come back, but that really had me laughing yesterday.

Now that is true irony.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »
Score at the greengrocer's yesterday.  They had three good-sized containers of blackberries for 4 USD.

I am going to be very happy gorging on blackberries. 

audhs

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »
It might make me a bad person (or maybe just a bad wife) but I'm getting more amusement than I probably should over my Husbands discomfort over finding out his mother started dating.