Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 40978 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
Maybe not so silly but I finished my Christmas shopping, and my Dad's for my brother and nephews, in one fell swoop tonight.

I went to MEC (like REI) to get a couple things for my brother that he wanted, one for me to give him, one for my Dad to give him.  I needed to get something for my younger nephew so I was browsing and found a great gift.  But realized his older brother would probably like it, too.  So I picked them up and decided I'd just have to find something else for YN.  My Dad will reimburse me for the items I bought on his behalf.

I called my nephew when I got home to get some ideas.  He told me that he wants to buy some clothes and some snowboarding stuff so I've offered to give him some cash towards those and he thought that was OK.  I'll have to come up with some sort of memorable way to give him some cash!  I've done rolled up bills in the fingers of gloves, I've done origami stars and hung the bills off a little tinsel tree and I've frozen $2 coins in ice in a jar.  Off to google to see if I can find another idea...

I've got a Costco trip to do and I'll probably get a few stocking stuffers there.  I'll hit Bulk Barn for a few other things and call it good.  Now if I could just get my nephew's and my Dad's sweaters done...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
I called my nephew when I got home to get some ideas.  He told me that he wants to buy some clothes and some snowboarding stuff so I've offered to give him some cash towards those and he thought that was OK.  I'll have to come up with some sort of memorable way to give him some cash!  I've done rolled up bills in the fingers of gloves, I've done origami stars and hung the bills off a little tinsel tree and I've frozen $2 coins in ice in a jar.  Off to google to see if I can find another idea...

I've thought of what I think is a great idea.  I'm going to hit a thrift store and buy a shirt and a pair of pants or I'll buy a doll shirt and pant outfit and hide the money in the clothes.  I'll put a $20 in each sleeve and each pant leg and wrap them up in a box.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

emwithme

« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »
I finished my Christmas shopping today

This is *ridiculously* early for me (I'm usually the person running round on 24 December).  It means that the two pay-days I get in December (next Tuesday and 21 December) are all for normal household expenses and Christmas food.

BUT...even better... I have been buying my supermarket's savings stamps all year (£2 each week) and now I have a "full" book of £100.  If I put this together with the loyalty scheme they've been running for the past few weeks, where you spend a certain amount and get a voucher, and collect vouchers to get money off, it means I'll have £165 to spend at the supermarket, which will definitely cover our Christmas food'n'booze shop!

I've never been this organised  :o  I'm waiting for someone to come and take me away!

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »
Just picked up a digital scrapbooking kit that has an asthma inhaler element. As both my DH & DS1 have asthma, I have some pictures of them with their inhalers that can be scrapped now!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »
Walking through the markets yesterday, and the trees with the catkins were shedding, there was a layer of white fluff on the ground thick enough to look like snow.

Then seeing Chihuaua Lady.  She's often around town with her tiny little teacup, Angel.  Now she has a new friend, Buddy - gorgeous tiny little black and white teacup.  He's a rescue dog - ignored, beaten, left outside and starved.  Poor little guy is terrified of everything and everybody. (And I simply can't express how angry and sickened I am by someone doing that to a poor defenseless little dog who probably weighs all of a pound, soaking wet...  grrr!)  And he came to me voluntarily for cuddles and ear rubs.  CL was ecstatic, as was I.

ellasaunt

« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2013, 07:09:39 AM »
My almost 3 year old has quite a significant speech delay. We have been working with therapists and Dr's for a number of months with little success. Today, unprompted,  he looked at me and said, very clearly,  "look at my castle. I builded it mineself." Cue hoots and hollers, a few tears on my behalf and a slightly bewildered child. I am so proud of him today, he has been working so hard.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
I had a powerful moment this morning brought to me by a woman named Judy Mayhan.  This morning as I passed thought the kitchen I head a woman singing on the radio.  Her voice was beautiful and I stopped to listen.  I asked my husband who it was and he said, "Judy Mayhan".  It was such a mesmerizing experience.  You always hear how frank Sinatra is a genius as phrasing when he sings, but he has nothing on this woman.  She really brought the song to life with her texture and handling of the lyrics.  Unfortunately I didn't get the name of it, but went to youtube and found her singing Danny Boy.  It was beautiful, so haunting.  Here is the link.  I truly hope you listen and enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6P9-Ics0fE
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #142 on: December 08, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
In the vein of Bijou's post, this is more "little thing" than something silly, IMO, but I found a recording of my college choir director doing a solo on Amazing Grace with the Robert Shaw Festival Singers. It really does my heart good to hear his voice again, because I learned so much from him. Plus he is an amazing tenor, imho.

Here's the link if anyone wants to listen.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Library Dragon

« Reply #143 on: December 08, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »
I was in KMart and found a perfect comforter for my bed--on sale.  I am crazy picky about the design and colors for my comforter.  I had one from Old Time Pottery which was perfect and used it until it is falling apart. Nothing else has been what I want.  Then I saw this:

http://www.kmart.com/sofia-by-sofia-vergara-marakesh-medallion-comforter-set/p-048VA52444112P

They only had 1 king size so I grabbed and ran.  My bedroom art is all pieces from Israel and the paint colors are deep mustard and dark burgundy. It goes with that feel without being palm trees and camels.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

andi

« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »
I madE 2 perfect fried eggs yesterday. Flipped them and got them to the plate without breaking the yolks. Perfect gold lace around the edges. Yummy

Edited to fix spelling
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:31:02 PM by andi »

Library Dragon

« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
I mad 2 perfect ferried eggs yesterday. Flipped them and got them to the plate without breaking the yolks. Perfect gold lace around the edges. Yummy

That would make me happy if I ever managed to do it.  You have my admiration.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »
Not quite silly but it definitely made us happy.

We were sitting outside the security area of the Fort Lauderdale airport when a large group arrived.  It was the chorus from a local Middle School and they presented a program of holiday music. 

The kids were good singers and attracted quite a crowd.  It isn't often you can go through Airport Security with a smile, this morning many people did.     

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2013, 06:24:48 PM »
I stayed at my friend’s house in my old neighborhood Saturday and listened to the kids playing in the snow Sunday morning. Cries of “Whitewash!” and “Suck it up cupcake!” to complaints of the cold had me laughing.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

EllenS

« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
This is silly because I am so, so, late to the party, but I just discovered the 2005 Dr. Who reboot on Netflix.  We gave up cable years ago, and this would have come out in the US right about the time we went into the Vortex of Personal Chaos and lost touch with pop-culture entirely.

I devoured all of Series 1 over the weekend and am simultaneously crushing on Nine and mourning the brevity of his existence.  As soon as DH catches up to me we will start on Ten.  I have Seven Years of Dr. Who to look forward to!

mumma to KMC

« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »
My shoe selection is pretty limited, mainly because I think the styles these days are pretty horrendous, so I wear the heck out of my shoes. That being said I noticed that my black casual shoes, the ones I wear with just about everything, were cracked and couldn't be fixed. :( I need a new pair for vacation, so I stated searching around on the internet. I finally found a pair that I liked that could be worn for causal shoes, but also in the snow and ice that we might face on our trip. The most awesome part, 65% off. I'm super excited.