Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 40081 times)

cwm

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
In the vein of Bijou's post, this is more "little thing" than something silly, IMO, but I found a recording of my college choir director doing a solo on Amazing Grace with the Robert Shaw Festival Singers. It really does my heart good to hear his voice again, because I learned so much from him. Plus he is an amazing tenor, imho.

Here's the link if anyone wants to listen.

I have tears in my eyes and I hven't even watched the video yet. I absolutely love the Robert Shaw Festival Singers. When I was in Atlanta I got a CD of him conducting the ASO and a CD of the choir, and both of those CDs have the power to make me insanely happy just thinking about the music on them.

Heck, good choral music in general drives me to happy tears. In college I got to see the Vienna Boys' Choir for $20. I barely had it in the bank, so I subsisted on what I had in the apartment and enjoyed the concert. Worth eating ramen and rice-a-roni for a week, hands down. I'd love to see them again if they ever tour near me.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2013, 12:23:21 PM »
My DS tried on a pair of dress shoes I bought him last May and he hasn't worn since August and they still fit. Hopefully his foot has finally quit growing and dress shoes will last more than 6 months at a time.

mumma to KMC

« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
My DS tried on a pair of dress shoes I bought him last May and he hasn't worn since August and they still fit. Hopefully his foot has finally quit growing and dress shoes will last more than 6 months at a time.

As the mother of three kids who all grew at least two inches in the past six months, I am happy for you. It's to the point now where I just buy the next size up while I'm buying something that will fit right now, both with shoes and pants.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »
I have two :)

Yesterday, DD and I were in the car.  She was wearing a top with a sequined smiley on it, and the sun made the entire inside of the car look like a disco ball.   It's been such a terrible couple of years, that just the few minutes watching her bounce around laughing made for a moment of joy.

Then, today, it was finding just the right appointment book for next year.  I'm rather particular about how large the day spaces have to be, and how easy it is for me to use it.  I struggled all year with a book I really didn't like, because I felt it was a waste of money to buy another one.  Big mistake.

There's just something that says "Fresh Start" like a brand-new appointment book, with no appointments in it, no doodles, and no unidentified phone numbers or unknown messages in the margins.  It's a thing of beauty before I start already transferring things into it for January.

Editeer

« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
Thipu's post in another thread.

Today, I cleaned out the sock drawer.

Compared with things other posters have done, this sounds like nothing. 

However, some of the socks in that drawer are old enough to vote if not run for public office.  There were also a few emotional moments when old friends were reunited.

Made my day, thank you very much.

peach2play

« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2013, 08:36:37 PM »
I traveled all summer for work.  Fly out Monday, fly home Friday for a couple of months.  My boyfriend knew I was having a really hard time missing him and missing my fur babies.  I came home one Friday and he had bought me a black cat Beanie Baby because I have 3 black cats.  We call him the mini-mew.  It made me cry.  Now every time I fly out, I have him with me to snuggle.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
Yesterday, Mr. Thipu went to a Geek Festival while I stayed home to roast a chicken for Sunday dinner. 

He brought me a little gift that made me laugh out loud.  It's a 3-D laser print ornament in the shape of a caffeine molecule. 

I love it! 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #157 on: December 19, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
DH told me about making a TimTam Slam and I just tried it.  Oohy Gooey yumminess!

Tim Tams are Australian cookies that my DD became hooked on while we were living there. We can still get the Arnott's on occasion so she gets 6 boxes each Christmas. We bought an extra box yesterday for DH and I.

TimTam Slam involves using the cookie as  straw to suck in hot coffee or other beverage so it enters the center of the cookie melting the chocolate and caramel. DD may be sharing her cookies this year.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »
When my two year old started "singing" (as in "doo dee doo") a melody and I realized it was the Harry Potter theme. Made me feel I must be doing something right there. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #159 on: December 24, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »
So there are these kids I used to babysit, now they are 13 (14 in February), 18, and 19 (as of today), (I feel old), my mom and their mom (the 13 and 18 year old, the older one is their cousin) are really good friends which is how I ended up as their sitter in the first place. We usually do a little something on Christmas Eve all together (we're basically family at this point) but this year the kids have been sick so we decided to skip it this year and get together for new year's eve. But I wanted to drop off their gifts anyways (especially for the birthday girl).

They opened them this morning and apparently we're the best gifters ever. I've gotten non-stop thank you texts from them! Apparently getting teenagers gas cards and gift cards to local food places is a very good move. We also bought each of the kids a copy of a movie they'd watched with me when they were kids (all something different) and that made the 18 year old (a boy) start to tear up a little that I still remembered babysitting him because according to him it was "the best summer ever". Aw!! He got Rocky Horror, I was the first person to show it to him (after his dad ok'd it) and then I taught him all the songs. The 19 year old got Rent (I actually took her to see it live after she listened to my soundtrack and loved it) and the 13 year old got Zombieland (I took her to see it when it came out, she was still a toddler when I babysat her).

cwm

« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
Went to boyfriend's Christmas Eve at his grandparents' house. Everyone loved me. His great aunt and uncle who had never met me talked for a while, his aunt explained who everyone was, his youngest niece curled up next to me after dinner, and I had a great time. After everything was done and everyone else had left, his grandma sat down with me in the living room and said she was a bit disappointed that we hadn't been able to talk very much, so bf and grandma and aunt (who lives there) and I sat around and talked for another hour.

Yesterday at his other aunt's house, his cousins were there that I'd met at Thanksgiving. We all had a nice chat about various jobs, and it turns out that his cousin and uncle know a guy in the comedy troup I follow. (Of course. Small world, after all.)

It's so refreshing to go to family events where the family is relatively normal and well-adjusted and there's no excess drama. It's also great to get along so well immediately. After years with my dad's family and mom's extended family, it's a breath of fresh air to have smaller, saner events.

English1

« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2013, 05:03:36 AM »
My newish OH offering to make me cheese on toast when I was overtired, a bit 'merry' and hungry at 2am after a night out.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2013, 10:36:04 PM »
This is going to sound strange perhaps, but realizing yesterday that this was the first year we didn't get Christmas presents from my estranged parents.  We'd been doing the "black hole" approach to these gifts, just not even acknowledging that we received them. 

It's been 4 years since the estrangement and the black hole treatment started so either it's that they finally gave up or it's related to another event.  My younger brother came to visit the first weekend of November and I found out the day after he and his gf came up that behind my back he'd given my older two boys his phone # and told them that if they called he'd let them talk to my parents.

Now really, it's silly to try that since the oldest does have a cell phone but it's on our account and we'd see that he called that number for one thing. But that wasn't even necessary since the child told us about it the very next day and when I asked, he said he really didn't want to talk to those grandparents.  So with a month going by and them not getting a call, I guess they finally realized they couldn't go around DH and I to get to our kids.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
Picking up the annual Xmas hitch-hiker.

Yeah, I know, risky...  but for some reason, around this time of year, I seem to feel the need to pass on some goodwill. 

Last year it was a young French back-packer.  I had a (large, capable, male) friend with me, so it felt safe.  The guy was really sweet, polite and friendly.

This year it was a young Canadian back-packer.  Tiny little girl with a pack bigger than her, and a couple of other bags as well.  She also was very sweet and friendly.

The semi-tradition started years ago, when ex and I picked up a sailor on Xmas day, in the middle of nowhere, with not another car on the road.  The poor guy had been trying to get a ride home for Xmas for hours, and was so grateful it was embarrassing. 

emwithme

« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
My Aunt gave DH and I some money for Christmas.  Today, we were in Lidl and I saw a wooden recorder for just 15.  I've been lusting after a wooden recorder for nearly 30 years now but have never been able to justify spending 100 upwards (which is their usual price) on myself. 

I thought I'd take a punt on this recorder being playable - and if it wasn't, I'd return it for a refund.  I used my part of Aunty's Christmas money to buy it.

Just got home and tested it, and, despite me having almost no breath control because I've got a cold, it plays really nicely.

I'm so happy I took the chance  :) and now when I call my Aunt tomorrow to wish her Happy New Year, I can tell her I bought an actual *something* with her money, rather than it just being assimilated into the household pot.