Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 33281 times)

daen

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2013, 08:42:01 PM »
My Aunt gave DH and I some money for Christmas.  Today, we were in Lidl and I saw a wooden recorder for just 15.  I've been lusting after a wooden recorder for nearly 30 years now but have never been able to justify spending 100 upwards (which is their usual price) on myself. 

I thought I'd take a punt on this recorder being playable - and if it wasn't, I'd return it for a refund.  I used my part of Aunty's Christmas money to buy it.

Just got home and tested it, and, despite me having almost no breath control because I've got a cold, it plays really nicely.

I'm so happy I took the chance  :) and now when I call my Aunt tomorrow to wish her Happy New Year, I can tell her I bought an actual *something* with her money, rather than it just being assimilated into the household pot. 

I love a happy ending. :)

I'm also very fond of recorders, although these days I'm finding that my wooden recorders are rather finicky. (This didn't stop us from snapping up a wooden alto in the local thrift shop, though.) My plastic Yamahas and Smarts (Yamaha clones) are more forgiving, with an almost-as-lovely tone. I can't afford a tenor or bass in wood, anyway, and the Smart consort was very affordable.
I'm not sure if it qualifies as silly, but the recorder collection does make me very happy...

SunVixen

« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »
Talking to the roadrunner sitting on top of the light over the office door.  It was unusually cold and I believe it got up there to stay warm.  I don't know if anyone else noticed it but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who stopped to say hello... and I didn't even think about what it might look like to anyone else.

It's a cool memory that's been keeping me happy for the last week just when I really need it.
We are all wanderers on this earth. Our hearts are full of wonder, and our souls are deep with dreams.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2013, 12:49:25 AM »
This evening I found a note written to me by my then 10 year old daughter in which she expressed concern that she had plugged up the toilet.  The way she spelled worried just set me into gales of laughter.  It was something like weryede.  I guess she didn't want to tell me, although I don't know why since those kinds of things were never a big deal.  I guess the toilet just seemed like such a big kind of contraption to break, or something.  I want to run to her house and give her a big motherly hug.
It also makes me realize that 10 years old in 1971 is very different from 10 in 2013.  Kids now are so much more sophisticated or something.  Now they'd probably look up on the internet how to fix it and do it themselves, with a yawn and roll of their eyes. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:52:12 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
NYC had a fairly heavy snowfall overnight.  In the outer boroughs, even a moderate snowfall can be a problem because our streets are often seen to be a lesser priority.  It may take days to get a plow out here. 

Our newly-elected Mayor lives on the next block.  at 7AM this morning, he was out with the snow shovel. 

I know it was for publicity purposes but it still seemed rather sweet. 

Cricket

« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2014, 01:42:32 AM »
Not a silly thing, but a little thing that made me happy. I took a photo of a plant I bought recently that has just started to flower. I had to wedge it between the earpieces of some headphones to get the angle I wanted. Thinking I would crop the pic to edit out the headphones and any other background. I'm not a photographer. If a head is missing, it's probably my fault.  I was really pleased at how artistic this photo looked. I like the flash spot and I like seeing part of the headphones. Mostly, I liked that it wasn't centred. I liked it so much that I made it my desktop background and it is perfect! The colour is to the right of middle screen and left of middle screen is black where all my icons are!! Come to think of it, I guess it is a silly thing to be happy about :)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:06:04 AM by Cricket »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:24 AM »
That really is a beautiful photograph.  You have every right to be proud of it. 

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2014, 08:21:05 AM »
Downton Abbey's season 4 premiere last night made me quite happy!  No spoilers but Maggie Smith (who plays the grandmother) had some great zingers!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »
I taught a intro to knitting class yesterday and had 3 guys!!! One was about my age and said a friend suggessted it to help him quit smoking, another was an elderly man who said he just wanted to see what his wife was always going on about, and the other was late 30s/early 40s who said he'd always wanted to learn but been too scared of what people say, his new year's resolution was to stop caring what other people thought (that got a round of applause). I'm always thrilled when I see men knitting/crocheting, break out of societal norms and do what makes you happy!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
We've just been on the phone with SIL.  She and her DH were at the lake ice fishing with their Grandchildren.  SIL told us that they'd just gotten set up and the kids had their poles in the water. 

While we were on the phone, the youngest of the bunch actually caught something! 

That was a sweet moment. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:31:45 AM by Thipu1 »

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
I was in KMart and found a perfect comforter for my bed--on sale.  I am crazy picky about the design and colors for my comforter.  I had one from Old Time Pottery which was perfect and used it until it is falling apart. Nothing else has been what I want.  Then I saw this:

http://www.kmart.com/sofia-by-sofia-vergara-marakesh-medallion-comforter-set/p-048VA52444112P

They only had 1 king size so I grabbed and ran.  My bedroom art is all pieces from Israel and the paint colors are deep mustard and dark burgundy. It goes with that feel without being palm trees and camels.

That IS exciting.  I'm like you.  It takes me forever to find comforter sets that aren't too "themed" or too feminine and in the right colors.  What I loved about their ad is that they suggest other colors to use as accent pieces.

"Use lighter shades of brown or rust, tones of blue or perhaps a hint of burgundy or hunter green as accents in the room."

They take your decorating seriously!   :)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2014, 12:39:01 AM »
I made my husband laugh today with a silly  thing and that made me happy. 
Early this morning I watched that program about inventors, 'The Sharks' and a guy made a little gizmo out of plastic that fits over the camera lens on your laptop so hackers can't spy on you through your own computer camera.  I didn't like to think that a hacker could see us through our own camera lens, so I got a bandage and put it over the lens.  When my husband got up I showed him that segment and then we just went about our business.  About 8 hours later he went to use the computer and I could hear him laughing at the bandage. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 12:41:24 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Reika

« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2014, 12:43:20 AM »
The email notice I got from UPS that my repaired (replaced? the warranty company didn't say) Kindle is on its way, I'll have it by Tuesday. I've been dealing with my cheap tablet with the Kindle app, but its nowhere near as enjoyable to read from as my Kindle.

peach2play

« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2014, 01:22:41 PM »
My boyfriend braved Walmart (he despieses Walmart) to get me another 52 oz Bubba Keg for home.  I took mine to work and we tend to drag our bubba kegs all around the house and he knew I was missing mine at home.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2014, 10:24:14 PM »
I placed a wildlife camera down at the farm/wild life refuge that my family owns on December 23. Went down today and got some cool photographs. Lots of tree limbs moving. So I've moved the camera, so it points down to the creek but doesn't have as many plants around it.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjQC6dcP

My nephew was disappointed that there weren't any alligators. I'm going to get a couple more and put one right on the creek, and another up near the pond.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2014, 10:41:50 AM »
I actually like Doctor Who!

Lots of my friends, and Partner, like Doctor Who, but I'd never bothered to watch it. Finally I decided to give it a try, and I was really nervous I wasn't going to like it (I don't know why), but I like it!!! And that makes me happy.