Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 37051 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #180 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »
That is a happy thing Glitter! I'm a fan, so more fans is a good thing - now you have so many new things to enjoy. :)

And I know what you mean about being afraid you're not going to like something, especially when your friends/family do. I felt that way about Downton Abbey, especially after so many people insisted I needed to try it.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

oogyda

« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
Hello.  My name is Oogyda and I am a fabric-holic. 

Today I went in to a fabric store to "browse" a little.  I do that often and more times than not, I walk out empty handed.  Not today!  There was one piece that caught my eye from the moment I walked in.  I checked the sales flyer that I always bring with me (they live in my car) and I had a 50% off coupon.  Unfortunately I couldn't use it since the fabric was already 50% off and since I wasn't using a coupon, I could use a 15% off coupon that I had. 

So, fabric that I love at more than half off.

The only thing that would make this better would be if I knew what I was going to make with it. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
I cannot doze off with my toddler around (I only let myself when there are others I can rely on to watch him, like DH) because he will come up to me, put his little hands on my cheeks and kiss me. 

We have not watched any of the Disney movies with him where the heroine is woken from a deep slumber by a kiss so I don't know where he got the idea.  But every time he notices Mama getting sleepy he does this.  It's cute (even if a bit wet) and I can't help but smile at the sweetness of the gesture even if I am sleepy and want to doze off.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Getting an update from my cu app that told me I could now deposit checks from my iPad. I thought it was just me being stupid!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2014, 07:05:19 PM »
My DS is studying for his SAT's and I'm "helping" him with vocab. We are currently going through alphabetically the "3400 words you should know for the SAT" to identify the ones he doesn't know.

It's made me really happy how much fun we are having with what could be a really tedious activity.

andi

« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »
My contacts came in this week. I can see again!!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2014, 07:52:32 PM »
Yesterday was a truly happy day. 

First off, we had to meet with our insurance agent as State Farm assigned us a new one and she wanted to go over our policy.  As DH doesn't get insurance through his company, we don't have any health insurance. The boys do through the state and DH has limited insurance through the VA but I have nothing and trying to take care of this online has been a major headache.  So on the way to the office I said "Man it would be nice if State Farm did health insurance!" Well whaddya know, we pull up in front of the building and on the window it says "Car, Home, Life, Health and Business".   So our agent's going to see what she can do for us and get back to us. YES!!!!

Then we went home where DH and the 3 boys stayed and I went out to have some much needed time to myself. I went to a nice consignment store where I found 3 very cute skirts and a nice hooded sweater for a total of $18. :D  Then I went to Target and found two pairs of leggings that were only $8 each and I got a cartwheel deal for 15% off on the last day the discount was available! :D

To top it off, a friend of my bff's gave her several Dooney and Burke purses and friend, knowing how I hate shopping for purses, offered to give me one of the purses her friend gave her. :D :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #187 on: January 27, 2014, 06:53:31 AM »
My contacts came in this week. I can see again!!

Woot! ;D Vision is good! :P ;D

Two things made me happy today!

First, I bought the Mythbusters 10th Anniversary box set. That alone would be awesome (Mythbusters! Yay! Jamie Mel want big boom!), but the really awesome part is that I could just decide to do that. I got my current job in April last year, and before that I'd been unemployed for nearly four years... so every cent I had came from the Good Ethnic Boy, and while he never made me feel guilty for depending on him that way, that didn't stop me doing it to myself. I felt horrible every time I bought something, even necessary things, because it "wasn't my money"... but now I have a job, and an income, and I've paid off some debt, and when I want to buy something frivolous I can! 8)

The second thing that made me happy today was that the car battery died. Well, no, not exactly - but the battery died, and the car wouldn't start, and my reaction was basically "Huh. That's not good. Okay... no, I didn't leave anything on, so it's not my fault, heh. Right then. I know what to do and who to call, I have all the info and the policy number and so on. I can take care of this. I'll call to let the GEB know what's happening so that he's not worried about me being late, and then get this fixed. Sweet, I even parked in the shade, bonus!" I didn't worry, I didn't panic, I just dealt. Sure, before today I knew intellectually that I could deal with this sort of thing, but it's really empowering to prove it. ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

turtleIScream

« Reply #188 on: January 27, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »
^^ Yay for Mel! Those would make me happy too!

My "silly" thing is that my daughter let me brush her hair. She is 13 and has a diagnosed anxiety order, as well as exaggerated startle response. So, physical contact has been virtually non-existent the past 5 months. She told me today that she misses hugs, so could I please brush her hair as a way to physically connect? Then, while I was brushing, she actually relaxed and opened up, and talked to me!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2014, 02:31:39 AM »
^^ Yay for Mel! Those would make me happy too!

My "silly" thing is that my daughter let me brush her hair. She is 13 and has a diagnosed anxiety order, as well as exaggerated startle response. So, physical contact has been virtually non-existent the past 5 months. She told me today that she misses hugs, so could I please brush her hair as a way to physically connect? Then, while I was brushing, she actually relaxed and opened up, and talked to me!

turtle that is wonderful!

heartmug

« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:51 PM »

To top it off, a friend of my bff's gave her several Dooney and Burke purses and friend, knowing how I hate shopping for purses, offered to give me one of the purses her friend gave her. :D :D

I need a friend like that.  Those are some great purses!

Me:  I stood up to a co-worker.  I really do get along with her, but if she wants her way she can bulldoze people.  Or try to.   :)  She emailed me about looking up something.  I looked it up for her and corrected her on one point.  Then another person emailed us both and corrected co-worker on that same point, not knowing I had.  So co-worker comes down to be and says in a very loud voice (not quite shouting) "You could have picked up the phone and called me!"  I reminded her that she was the one who started the conversation via email and I will converse with her any way she wants, but I don't read minds.  She left.

Yay me!  (I hardly ever stand up for myself.)
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2014, 08:44:46 AM »
I did my taxes, in and spite of cashing in some savings bonds to help pay for my car, I'm still getting a refund!  I wasn't sure because of that, and the fact I decreased the extra tax I was having withheld (with 2 jobs you can only do so much, and end up owing as I did my first year), so I would have been quite happy to not owe anything!  But the amount is about 3/4 of what I need to pay for my cruise next summer, so I'm quite happy about that!

And in a couple weeks, we should be hearing about our bonuses, which will help me pay off some more stuff, buy a new mattress, AND put some extra into my savings.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:46 AM »
My Dad turns 80 in June.  The rules here are that you have to sit through a seminar and do a written test to keep your driver's license.  He's undiagnosed dyslexic and I was concerned he'd have trouble with the written test.  And since the tentative plan is for him to move in with me when he isn't driving anymore, well, let's just say I'm not quite ready for that.

I saw a news article in the paper this morning.  Starting the end of April, they are phasing out the written test!  Woo hoo!  I called my Dad - made his day, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jane7166

« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2014, 10:54:35 AM »
My almost 3 year old has quite a significant speech delay. We have been working with therapists and Dr's for a number of months with little success. Today, unprompted,  he looked at me and said, very clearly,  "look at my castle. I builded it mineself." Cue hoots and hollers, a few tears on my behalf and a slightly bewildered child. I am so proud of him today, he has been working so hard.

Lovely story and it makes me happy!

jane7166

« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »
I've always been able to swim but 3 years ago, I started taking lap swimming lessons to do it correctly and more efficiently.  Our teacher has encouraged us to compete and we have, at local meets.  Most of us are 50 and above and have never competed much at anything.  Some of us are getting hooked on it. 

Last summer, I got a ribbon for placing eighth at a national event and was very pleased with my 60+ year old self. 

And I noticed recently that flip turns don't take away my oxygen as much as they used to.  I've moved up a lane (we are grouped by ability) and we are all becoming swimming beasts!