News:

• April 24, 2018, 10:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 538059 times)

guihong

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #540 on: October 12, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »
My cousin sent me the family Bible from my father's side of the family. My dad had thought it was lost. It turns out that my grandmother and aunt left it with some friends when they left Vienna. The friends brought it back to my aunt a few years ago. My aunt has since passed away and my cousin thought that the Bible should stay with the part of the family that still carries the name. I now have family Bibles from both my father's and mother's sides. Beautiful old books. I now have to look into how to preserve these.

That's not even a "silly" thing!  Those will be treasured many generations after you.

guihong

« Reply #541 on: October 12, 2014, 02:52:21 PM »
As for me, it's going on right now!  I know you shouldn't count chickens before they're hatched, but Cleveland (my home town) is crushing Pittsburgh 31-3 and just took over on downs late in the 4th quarter  :D

PastryGoddess

« Reply #542 on: October 13, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »
As for me, it's going on right now!  I know you shouldn't count chickens before they're hatched, but Cleveland (my home town) is crushing Pittsburgh 31-3 and just took over on downs late in the 4th quarter  :D

Baltimore Raven here.  Our Division is crazy this year

jpcher

« Reply #543 on: October 13, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
As for me, it's going on right now!  I know you shouldn't count chickens before they're hatched, but Cleveland (my home town) is crushing Pittsburgh 31-3 and just took over on downs late in the 4th quarter  :D.

When I read the first part I stopped at the end of the bold and thought "OH.my.goodness! I don't think I've ever heard of a pro baseball team scoring 31 points! How come this wasn't all over the news?"

Then I finished reading . . . oh, downs, quarters, you must be talking football.

I'm a bit behind on my sports. ::) ;D

magicdomino

« Reply #544 on: October 14, 2014, 01:39:22 PM »
This was actually a couple of months ago, but I was just thinking about it.

When my nephew was visiting in August, he pulled out a Swiss Army knife.  It was the one that I had given him for high school graduation back in the 1980's.  He said that it was the most useful thing that he had ever had.  His day job is setting up stages for musicians, plus he is in a band.  Need a screw tightened, a wire cut, a bottle opened?  Swiss Army knife to the rescue!  His co-workers show off their $60 Leatherman tools, but he is quite happy with his little red knife/screwdriver/corkscrew/scissors/saw/nail file/kitchen sink.   ;)

It's nice when you get a gift right.   :)

mandycorn

« Reply #545 on: October 15, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
^ magicdomino, I love that feeling! The quilt I gave my parents hasn't been off their bed except on laundry days for over a year, and it makes me smile every time I'm visiting and walk past their room.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #546 on: October 17, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
I am so jealous! Please post pictures of him once he's home and settled.

There's a link to a pic in the Cuteliness folder.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

onikenbai

« Reply #547 on: October 19, 2014, 01:44:30 AM »
I went to a job site the other day and there were kittens: three tuxedos and one orange marmalade, not more than three weeks old.  Not sure how that combination managed to come from a calico mother but squee!

Hmmmmm

« Reply #548 on: October 19, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »
After years of trying my 9 year old beagle finally learned the rules of fetch last night. He actually brought the tennis ball back to me 3 times in a row before trying to get me to chase him for it.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #549 on: October 20, 2014, 05:44:18 AM »
BBC Radio 4. I love talk radio and the way it has something just a little weird every now and again. This morning I turned it on in time to hear 'I've just been dancing with the head of neurosurgery in Bhutan...' which has to be one of the best broadcast lines ever.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #550 on: October 20, 2014, 06:06:36 AM »
As for me, it's going on right now!  I know you shouldn't count chickens before they're hatched, but Cleveland (my home town) is crushing Pittsburgh 31-3 and just took over on downs late in the 4th quarter  :D.

I don't live in Cleveland but I am an Ohioan! :D

turtleIScream

« Reply #551 on: October 20, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »
My 4 1/2 month old puppy climbed in my lap and fell asleep. She's usually way too full of energy to snuggle like that.
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #552 on: October 24, 2014, 09:12:28 AM »
My 4 1/2 month old puppy climbed in my lap and fell asleep. She's usually way too full of energy to snuggle like that.

Awwww. I wish I had a puppy to snuggle with.  :)

I got an email back from a potential internship director (I have to do one in order to complete my degree program). On top of that, it's a site at which I really, really want to work. Of course there are others in that category as well, but I'm just excited that I'm getting contacted now.

Vita brevis, ars longa

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #553 on: October 24, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »

Awwww. I wish I had a puppy to snuggle with.  :)

I got an email back from a potential internship director (I have to do one in order to complete my degree program). On top of that, it's a site at which I really, really want to work. Of course there are others in that category as well, but I'm just excited that I'm getting contacted now.

Fingers crossed for you, how exciting!!

My happy news is that, due to a snafu, I almost had a $150 fee for early termination of a contract. Fortunately I was able to coordinate with my old and new companies and we've got everything straightened out, so, no fee!! I'm so relieved. Technically we had the money, but it was going to make things tight. I feel like I can breathe a bit easier now.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #554 on: October 24, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »
Rocket's ringworm has cleared up, and I can snuggle him promiscuously! The little purrball.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.