News:

• April 24, 2018, 10:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 538055 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #690 on: January 18, 2015, 09:03:15 AM »
My new progressive lenses are in these.

My sunglass frames.

Love them both!

Reika

« Reply #691 on: January 18, 2015, 11:07:39 AM »
Finally figuring out what class I want my character to be in a new Pathfinder (roleplaying game) that a friend of mine is starting. I had a mental image of what I wanted for her, but various classes just didn't fit at first.

magicdomino

« Reply #692 on: January 18, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »
Watching Nani watch the birds.  I refilled a small feeder near the window, and it is now mobbed by sparrows.  Nani is curled up right where she can watch the action.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #693 on: January 18, 2015, 08:28:16 PM »
I learned today that my great-great-great-grandmother Susan Black married Alexander Berry, so she was Susan Black Berry.

Also, Alexander's mother Rebecca was quite a character.  A couple of excerpts from her brother's diary:

"She left the home of our parents for a time because she was heavy with child and running around and Mother wouldn't put up with that."

"She owned a horse that she traded a cow and some weaving for when it was about 6 months old. She raised it and then later on took one of her mad fits and rode it off to the North River. The family had more trouble with her and her children than she was worth."

I think I would've liked Grandma Rebecca.  She was smart and a free spirit at a time (1784 – 1828) when it wasn't easy.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #694 on: January 18, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »
My new progressive lenses are in these.

My sunglass frames.

Love them both!

Thank you! After getting accustomed to both, I'm quite pleased. DH and DS are not accustomed to the faux tortoiseshell ones yet.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #695 on: January 18, 2015, 09:27:42 PM »
As for eyes, a friend told me she read that Johnny Depp is mostly blind in one eye, which we both already knew but the interesting part was that he's said it makes it so he doesn't get motion sickness.

Interesting.  Maybe I should wear an eyepatch whenever I'm travelling!

Sounds like a good idea!  I remember as a kid being kind of annoyed that I couldn't read in the car because after a while sometimes I'd get tired of the scenery.  I wish I'd thought of books on tape after I got past the "read along book and tape" phase.  Though listening to music on a walk/discman made life more pleasant as I loved listening to music and coming up with stories with that as the soundtrack.

Some happy things:
1) riding a carousel with the youngest.  He'd seen it at the zoo and called it "Wild Irish Rose" and wouldn't let up on wanting to go on "Wild Irish Rose!"  I have an mp3 of the song played on a Wurlitzer organ like you'd hear on carousels of old and he loves to sing along as best as he can.  So we go on after lunch and he's holding the pole and has one arm around his neck as I'm standing next to the gazelle and keeping him steady.   And when he's not reassuring me that he's got me and I'm safe, he's singing "My Wiiide Iwish Wooooooose!  Da fweedest fwower dat gose!"

And he wants me to sing but I'm laughing so hard I can barely join in.

2) Someone at church appreciating my knitted washcloths I made for anyone who comes in and needs them (we do a free hot meal once a month that attracts many of the area's homeless and very low income or shelter residents)

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #696 on: January 22, 2015, 12:19:06 PM »
I have an old floor loom that I bought at a garage sale 20 years ago. It had no identifying information on it so I had no idea when or where it was made. Based on the hardware and wood finish, I guessed around the 1940s or 50s.  A few years ago I saw a picture online of a loom that had the same distinctive ratchet and rope system advancing system and emailed the owner in case she might have a label or any info. She didn't, but agreed that they had to be siblings.

Out of the clear blue yesterday, she emailed me and told me she'd found out that our looms were made by Binder Loom Mfg. of Altadena, California...which was in business from the 1920s to 1953.  So cool to know!

Thipu1

« Reply #697 on: January 22, 2015, 12:25:53 PM »
Yesterday, I was watching a show about the American Revolution. The topic of this particular show was the Battle of Long Island. It was very satisfying to remember that the battle took place about a block and a half away from where we live. 

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #698 on: January 22, 2015, 05:21:01 PM »
My preferred candidate for director of our system won!

I have known him for over 10 years. He is truly a big picture, long-term vision person.

I have enjoyed working with him- and now look forward to his being director.

So these news made me very happy. Small, but good.
I have pet mice!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #699 on: January 22, 2015, 05:45:51 PM »
My car was on E and the gas light even came on...it cost me less than $20.00 to fill up.  I don't think I've experienced that in about a decade.   :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #700 on: January 22, 2015, 05:50:33 PM »
My car was on E and the gas light even came on...it cost me less than $20.00 to fill up.  I don't think I've experienced that in about a decade.   :P

Gas prices are deliciously low these days.  ;D

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #701 on: January 22, 2015, 06:34:36 PM »
I love low gas prices, they make me happy.

When a student mentioned a partial concept of law, I was able to say the full concept without looking it up!

A friend advised me to not pursue a second Bachelors, but to take a graduate certificate course instead. I found the perfect one, it exactly fits the year I have between my graduation and beginning the masters.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

crella

« Reply #702 on: January 22, 2015, 06:55:53 PM »
I had a company come in yesterday and take away all the boxes etc from our move this past June, and I feel wonderfully free! The past 3 years have been nothing but packing and schlepping as I cleared out both DH's mother's home/garages and my mother's home, and we moved twice ourselves. We were just waiting for a shipment to come from the US in early December(we're letting go of our home there and shipped some things over) and as soon as that was unpacked I called and made an appointment with a local company to haul away over 100 collapsed moving boxes and bags and bags of styrofoam chips and bubble wrap. We're settled in, the house is neat, and I never want to see boxes or packing tape ever again if I can help it!

gmatoy

« Reply #703 on: January 22, 2015, 08:12:13 PM »
I had a company come in yesterday and take away all the boxes etc from our move this past June, and I feel wonderfully free! The past 3 years have been nothing but packing and schlepping as I cleared out both DH's mother's home/garages and my mother's home, and we moved twice ourselves. We were just waiting for a shipment to come from the US in early December(we're letting go of our home there and shipped some things over) and as soon as that was unpacked I called and made an appointment with a local company to haul away over 100 collapsed moving boxes and bags and bags of styrofoam chips and bubble wrap. We're settled in, the house is neat, and I never want to see boxes or packing tape ever again if I can help it!

And where are you now? (Just generally, I just wondered.)

mmswm

« Reply #704 on: January 22, 2015, 08:39:47 PM »

Gas prices are deliciously low these days.  ;D

While I do like paying for low gas prices, I'm afraid to say I'm not very happy about the broader effects of how low they've gotten.  There's already been lay offs at some of the oil fields in the upper mid-west, and I have two trucker friends who are out of work because of it.  That makes me sad.  :(
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)