News:

• April 19, 2018, 07:40:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 534197 times)

crella

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #705 on: January 22, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »
I had a company come in yesterday and take away all the boxes etc from our move this past June, and I feel wonderfully free! The past 3 years have been nothing but packing and schlepping as I cleared out both DH's mother's home/garages and my mother's home, and we moved twice ourselves. We were just waiting for a shipment to come from the US in early December(we're letting go of our home there and shipped some things over) and as soon as that was unpacked I called and made an appointment with a local company to haul away over 100 collapsed moving boxes and bags and bags of styrofoam chips and bubble wrap. We're settled in, the house is neat, and I never want to see boxes or packing tape ever again if I can help it!

And where are you now? (Just generally, I just wondered.)

Japan, I've lived here since I got married, but we had a house in the US and my mother's house was on the East Coast. DH's mother's house was an hour away. Our two moves were 1) moving lock stock and barrel to a new location in 2012 and 2) selling a property in 2014 and moving that stuff plus the stuff from MILs house to our house, and also getting the shipment from the US location. We decided to streamline and simplify. As I look at it now, my post is hard to follow. I was trying to avoid a lot of detail  :) I'm so glad that all that moving and shuffling is over. I was so sick of packing and unpacking!

dawnfire

« Reply #706 on: January 22, 2015, 10:02:49 PM »
I've ordered and paid for my kids school books.(boy do high school books cost a lot !). next the stationary
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:59:07 AM by dawnfire »
Whittlesea Victoria

mmswm

« Reply #707 on: January 23, 2015, 01:46:52 AM »
A silly rel@tionship milestone:  Bf and I made our first purchase together.  It wasn't a huge purchase, just $75, but it's kinda funny because of what it was.  It's a 5 year subscription to an online vehicle repair information site. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

siamesecat2965

« Reply #708 on: January 23, 2015, 11:30:08 AM »
My car was on E and the gas light even came on...it cost me less than $20.00 to fill up.  I don't think I've experienced that in about a decade.   :P

I've had that happen twice in the last couple of weeks, but down to 1/4 tank. Both times I figured I'd put $25 in (18.5 gallon tank), and then hit my cheaper option when I could, to finish. Both times, it filled me up!

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #709 on: January 23, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »
Even better when you are part of a grocery market's points rewards program.  Martin's (cousin of Giant) does this and you can build up a lot of points and usually it takes about 30 days for them to expire and let's face it, unless you rarely drive, you're going to be filling up about once a month. 

But if you don't use them for that you can also put them towards a discount on groceries or a turkey at Thanksgiving.

Years ago, before DH switched jobs, the insurance company we were with issued flex cards so that anything you needed to pay for that was medical (copays for office visits, prescriptions, devices) would go on the card if you hadn't met your deductible.  Which meant we were getting points up the wazoo for the full price of scripts to the tune of $300 or so.  And I believe it's about .10 for every 10 you spend.

We once paid about .02 for gas after applying the discounts. And it was near $4 at that point so we were tickled!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hmmmmm

« Reply #710 on: January 23, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »
I don't mind rain but I can not handle cold wet rain. I can not get warm so will frequently choose to not go anywhere I don't have to go when it's rainy and cold. DD bought me some adorable rain boots and matching rain coat for Christmas. I've found in the 10 plus days since then that I'm perfectly happy to put on my boots and coat and do errands when it's wet and cold because they are just so cute.

I think I've reverted to be 6 again.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #711 on: January 23, 2015, 04:09:24 PM »
I'd love to find one of those with some cute patterns on them.  Partly cause from what I can remember I didn't' have cute boots as a kid.  I recall in middle school one teacher joked with me that on a windy and rainy day, the only thing keeping me from blowing away was the pair of chunky gray boots I wore.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jpcher

« Reply #712 on: January 23, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
I don't mind rain but I can not handle cold wet rain.

What about cold dry rain? Does that work for you? ;)

gramma dishes

« Reply #713 on: January 23, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »
I don't mind rain but I can not handle cold wet rain. I can not get warm so will frequently choose to not go anywhere I don't have to go when it's rainy and cold. DD bought me some adorable rain boots and matching rain coat for Christmas. I've found in the 10 plus days since then that I'm perfectly happy to put on my boots and coat and do errands when it's wet and cold because they are just so cute.

I smiled when I read your post because I'm like that too.  If I think I look "cute", I'll go out in almost any kind of weather!
Sometimes clothes change everything!   :)

mmswm

« Reply #714 on: January 23, 2015, 05:59:22 PM »

I smiled when I read your post because I'm like that too.  If I think I look "cute", I'll go out in almost any kind of weather!
Sometimes clothes change everything!   :)

When I lived in Fargo, North Dakota, rain boots (and depending on how far out of the city you lived, waders) were a must for spring, as the melting snow and thawing river create quite a mess.  I must say I was disappointed that they didn't have cute boots in my size.  They had them in women's sizes, just not big enough for my big feet.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #715 on: January 23, 2015, 06:13:54 PM »
Check out Long Tall Sally, they have them in my size 12 and going up to 15. It's just not worth it for me, since we rarely have rain all day. I'll just stick with my good boots on those days.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

mmswm

« Reply #716 on: January 23, 2015, 06:52:52 PM »
Check out Long Tall Sally, they have them in my size 12 and going up to 15. It's just not worth it for me, since we rarely have rain all day. I'll just stick with my good boots on those days.

I will keep that in mind if I'm ever in a place that gets rain. Where I live now is pretty dry.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #717 on: January 23, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
I'd love to find one of those with some cute patterns on them.  Partly cause from what I can remember I didn't' have cute boots as a kid.  I recall in middle school one teacher joked with me that on a windy and rainy day, the only thing keeping me from blowing away was the pair of chunky gray boots I wore.

I saw some on 6pm.com. It's Zappos clearance site and they have great deals on tons of stuff

siamesecat2965

« Reply #718 on: January 23, 2015, 07:58:41 PM »
I now have both of my w-2s, and as I file the EZ form, just did my federal taxes in about 2 minutes. And am getting enough back to pay off one cc! Still have to do state, which is 4 pages and takes 4 times as long!

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #719 on: January 24, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
My middle child very nearly got straight A's.  My oldest...well not so much.  And when the kid I call my human calculator does poorly in algebra, I know it's not a lack of understanding or ability.  He grasps mathematical concepts very quickly and will even do math at home...for fun.

But what made me happy was that my middle child took his brother to their room and privately gave him some advice on how to do better.   Which I'd thought of asking him to do but for not thinking oldest pirate would listen to him, based on past interactions when middle pirate tried.

I didn't hear any arguing or fighting and when they came down, that's when I was told what they were discussing up there and my oldest said he'd put his brother's advice to work.  It was nice to see them actually helping each other than going at each other's throats.