News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 05:39:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 405402 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #2865 on: June 15, 2017, 07:27:48 AM »
So someone in our neighborhood put a kitten out on the street. And when I say kitten, I mean you can hold this thing in one hand and contain the entire body.

Which means that the silly thing that's making me happy is the tiny fluff ball we've named Amber who keeps nibbling my ankles as I sit here typing this.  ;D

GreenHall

« Reply #2866 on: June 16, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
I just found out American Gods is on Amazon Prime!
(I knew it was on Starz, and I don't have cable, so I assumed it would be a while before I could see it.  So excited!

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #2867 on: June 17, 2017, 08:48:03 PM »
Someone I know just shared a Father's Day greeting with the text: "Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad." All well and good, right? Except that it follows up with "Happy Father's Day."  ;D  >:D Apparently whoever wrote the thing didn't think that maybe altering the greeting to "Happy Dad's Day" would be a better idea given the preceding text.

What tickles me all the more is that, knowing my friend, it's not meant to be funny, or passive aggressive, or ironic.  ;D Just a totally sincere Father's Day greeting right after asserting that being a "father" is in itself nothing special or noteworthy.

JoW

« Reply #2868 on: June 17, 2017, 09:27:48 PM »
You know those ugly gray concrete barriers that cities use to block streets around important meetings and festivals?  Omaha has a lot of them in place right now to protect the College World Series baseball tournament.  An owner of a business near the stadium decided that those barriers are ugly and depressing, not right for a happy event like the CWS.  So he talked to people in Omaha city government, the Nebraska Department of roads and the National College Athletic Association and got permission to paint them.  He and about 30 other volunteers spent a day late last week painting those barriers happy colors - blue and green and yellow. 

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/more-joyful-than-gray-volunteers-paint-cws-barriers-in-bright/article_a30d48ee-4f99-11e7-ab2e-5f3d0a651ec2.html

NbyNW

« Reply #2869 on: June 18, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
I returned not long ago from a two week trip out of state. My garden was overtaken with weeds especially the area I had set aside for my tomatoes. After hours of hard work I have cleared out all the weeds and planted not only my tomatoes but also some peppers, tomatillos, zucchini and a sunflower. It makes me so happy to see a clean garden with healthy plants.

Mustard

« Reply #2870 on: June 18, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
We have a glut of strawberries so I've been giving them to the neighbours.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2871 on: June 18, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
Finding instructions on how to add an elastic "band" to go under my hair on a sun hat - so it doesn't blow off my head this coming week on a cruise.  I just bought another hat for my mother and I need to add an elastic band to it, too, so it won't blow off.  There is very little shade at sea and we're going to an island off the coast of Mexico - so the sun will be tropical in strength.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

GardenGal

« Reply #2872 on: June 18, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »
Eating the first peach of summer from my own tree - and seeing lots more nearly ready to pick!  I just love Mother Nature!
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2873 on: June 18, 2017, 05:28:14 PM »
Really good Italian ices.

I happened to go into a convenience store yesterday, saw a sign advertising Italian ices, and gave them a try. I am very pleased. The brand, Richie's Super-Premium, seems to be a Boston-area company, and the store had seven or eight flavors. More research is clearly called for.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

gmatoy

« Reply #2874 on: June 18, 2017, 06:19:26 PM »
Really good Italian ices.

I happened to go into a convenience store yesterday, saw a sign advertising Italian ices, and gave them a try. I am very pleased. The brand, Richie's Super-Premium, seems to be a Boston-area company, and the store had seven or eight flavors. More research is clearly called for.

Color me jealous! Or green with envy! Oh, by the way: coconut and lemon are my favorites, so you might have to have an extra one of each of those, just to be kind, you can have them for me.  ;)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2875 on: June 18, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
All of our potted plants (that should be in the ground) have been transplanted into the ground! It only took 6 weeks!

So far, we have 3 bell peppers and a tomato in a large tub, Mexican sage and oregano, portulaca, lantana, and a coleus in the front bed, and our bouganvilleas in the back against the fence. Next will be the avocado tree, but we have to determine  a permanent location for it.

I also used a giant tub to make a bird bath on the ground, where I can see it from inside the house.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Team HoundMom

« Reply #2876 on: June 19, 2017, 10:27:06 AM »
About 3K into the Toronto Waterfront 10K this weekend there was a cheer squad of a bunch of people on spin bikes, all waving towels and going "WOOO" while spinning.  They made me so happy I was smiling for a while.  The entire race was awesome but that one part was amazing.   

TracyXJ

« Reply #2877 on: June 19, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
Finding instructions on how to add an elastic "band" to go under my hair on a sun hat - so it doesn't blow off my head this coming week on a cruise.  I just bought another hat for my mother and I need to add an elastic band to it, too, so it won't blow off.  There is very little shade at sea and we're going to an island off the coast of Mexico - so the sun will be tropical in strength.

Similar:  Found a good sunhat with a built in adjustable band around the head and adjustable tie under the chin for our trip to the beach (so usually quite windy).  And it's great for working the yard too!

Another little one:  Most of our fence is finished!

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2878 on: June 19, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »
A snapping turtle, which is a species on the threatened list, laid a clutch of eggs on our property.  Got to see her in the ditch last night, too.

But she's laid them in the pile of screenings we had for the base of the raised garden bed we're building.  So I'm trying to find out if the eggs will survive, since the screenings are limestone and the pH will be quite high.  If they will, we will have to leave the part of the pile holding the nest alone and leave it until September.  Which is going to be a pain in the butt!

And this fall, we will build nesting beds just for her so she hopefully stays out of our project materials!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

gramma dishes

« Reply #2879 on: June 19, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »

And this fall, we will build nesting beds just for her so she hopefully stays out of our project materials!

Apparently she thought you'd already done that!   ;D