News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fast talking IT rep  (Read 5864 times)

MissRose

Re: Fast talking IT rep
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 08:00:32 AM »
I work in IT support myself. 

We do not know the ability level of any person calling in but callers should tell us something like take it slow please and/or I am not very tech savvy if needed.  I would rather someone admit they do not know something compared to a caller who tries to tell me how to do my job because they are in X position, pay X amount to our company, and/or have Y Degree.

Yes we do have talk time goals to hit based on the type of issues/tickets handled, but generally things average out nicely when factoring in the few longer calls with the majority being shorter calls.  Some call types can last 3 minutes, others 10 to 15 minutes.

Yes, I recommend that if you have a favorable experience with someone no matter if its with computers or other things you call on to praise the person and/or request a way from them to contact their supervisor in writing.  Most places when considering pay rises and promotions will look into praise worthy communications from customers both internal & external in addition to the goals of the position.

Ravenish

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »
Thankfully the place where I worked on an IT help desk didn't mind slightly longer talk times. That being said the main part of my conversation was during the times when I/the computer was doing things and I had to fill the time with something other than uncomfortable silence. Had a great talk about Monty Python that way.

My last experience was by proxy as a flatmate had a critical hardware malfunction with her laptop. She had me look at it and I pretty much pointed out that it wasn't getting fixed without being opened up (the hard drive was the only part getting any noticeable amount of power) so I described the symptoms in an easy to remember format for when she called the tech line of where she bought it and after prefacing it with "I'm not tech savvy but this is what my flatmate describes the problem as..." he thanked her for having even that much information on hand and said to send it in within about 5 minutes. That being said I've had some absolute snots through the years including a person who didn't recognise the format of some of their older serial numbers and questioned my intelligence and ability to read.

veronaz

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 02:48:34 PM »
I work in IT support myself. 

We do not know the ability level of any person calling in but callers should tell us something like take it slow please and/or I am not very tech savvy if needed. I would rather someone admit they do not know something compared to a caller who tries to tell me how to do my job because they are in X position, pay X amount to our company, and/or have Y Degree.

Yes we do have talk time goals to hit based on the type of issues/tickets handled, but generally things average out nicely when factoring in the few longer calls with the majority being shorter calls.  Some call types can last 3 minutes, others 10 to 15 minutes.

Yes, I recommend that if you have a favorable experience with someone no matter if its with computers or other things you call on to praise the person and/or request a way from them to contact their supervisor in writing.  Most places when considering pay rises and promotions will look into praise worthy communications from customers both internal & external in addition to the goals of the position.

See, this is the problem.

Having a normal hearing ability but not being able to comprehend a rather snotty customer service/IT rep who is rattling off instructions at a super-fast pace does NOT mean a person has low level computer skills or low level intelligence in general.  It does not mean that “don’t know something” and there is no reason for the customer to start out the conversation by saying they are deficient in some way.

If the IT person can’t speak at normal speed (or if they have a thick accent) and the customer can’t understand them, the customer should ask for someone else – which is what I should have done.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:53:57 PM by veronaz »

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »
And also there's specific tech stuff with specific tech vocabulary not just for the IT world as a whole but for your specific hardware, your specific software, your specific task that you're trying to complete with your specific hardware and software, your specific country/telephone system/electricity supply/etc etc cont page 94. The Elder Chick, who is currently a computer science student (i.e. knows what he's talking about mostly) with language skills (can explain it in real words) recently sent me this complaint:

Also, every support forum I ever go to:

Person on programming help forum with the same problem as me: Hey guys I have this problem where the instance doesn't display correctly when its integer value is greater than 3, what is causing this?

Other person: You can't pass the treaty as a general cupcake, you have to jostle the yoghurt first to elevate the nightmare deathhorse. Whenever possible, it's going to be better in the long run to ditch the white maverick and go full soup shafting, or even bronchial twist-tie if your program has enough stonemasons. Also, the way you've knobbled the gravlax with a seventh circle vice technically isn't wrong, but it's generally good practice to submit the roundabout as a total firewine milestone rather than just a silver twitch. Shouldn't make much difference in your program because you don't have many xylophones, but it'll help to get into the habit now. I'd suggest trying apple-bobbing machinations for a lot of good libraries for this sort of thing.

Person on programming help forum with the same problem as me: Ok I will try that thanks for your help.

Just because I do this stuff doesn't mean I understand it.