General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Madonna 'banned' from movie theatre for texting

(1/4) > >>

traherne:
While I do not dispute that texting during a film is bad - especially in this case, where she was apparently personally invited by the director - I'm not sure that tapping a complete stranger on the shoulder to lecture them on etiquette is much better. And I won't even touch Madonna equating being told to turn her phone off to slavery (let's hope for her sake she was being ironic), but I love that she thinks it's ok to do it because it's "for business". Although at this point I guess I shouldn't be surprised by her sense of entitlement.

That said, haven't been to the movies in years - 99% of what Hollywood puts out these days is utter garbage anyway, and for the other 1% I'd rather wait a couple of months for the DVD - but I guess at least texting is a step up from engaging in actual conversations.


--- Quote ---Madonna banned from cinema for texting during film

Attending the New York Film Festival screening of 12 Years a Slave, the 55-year-old was reportedly asked to stop texting by an audience member.

Tim League, CEO of the Alamo Drafthouse chain, tweeted: "Until she apologizes to movie fans, Madonna is banned from watching movies at Alamo."

Indie Wire reports that film critic Charles Taylor, who also attended the screening, said in a post on Facebook: "A woman next to me tapped her on the shoulder and told her to put her phone away, and the blonde hissed back, 'It's for business. Enslaver!'"

Directed by Steve McQueen and starring British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave is a true story about a free black man kidnapped and sold into slavery.
--- End quote ---


http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24532648

Twik:
How is asking someone to put away their phone "lecturing"?

Winterlight:
Since it didn't actually happen at Alamo Drafthouse theaters, their ban seems pretty silly and attention-piggy.

Twik:

--- Quote from: Winterlight on October 23, 2013, 08:53:06 AM ---Since it didn't actually happen at Alamo Drafthouse theaters, their ban seems pretty silly and attention-piggy.

--- End quote ---

It's a business, and they're advertising. "No cell phones at Alamo Drafthouse!" Which is, actually, a pretty good ploy.

Virg:
Twik wrote:

"It's a business, and they're advertising."

It's still attention-piggy, because they're attaching their wagon to a story that has only the most tenuous connection to their advertising.  If they'd responded to this by putting together an ad where they showed Alamo employees ejecting famous people for cell phone usage, then I'd give them a chuckle and a nod, but simply making an announcement on Twitter because of this gives me the feeling of jumping in the spotlight.

Virg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version