News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kickstarter...but for vacations?  (Read 7529 times)

JeanFromBNA

Re: Kickstarter...but for vacations?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 12:10:56 PM »
I noticed that they didn't have the funding for their website . . .

mime

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »
The "inspirational" category made me think of a missionary's travel. I've supported people on mission trips, but I find the idea of this mechanism off-putting. Maybe I'm becoming old fashioned, but I like having the personal relationship and interaction with the missions-workers I've supported, and don't especially feel inspired to give when I'm one name on a long list in a blast email requesting money. This website would take me one step beyond that.

I see that the website also implied that backers may take advantage of advertising, like 'my amazing trip to Maccu Piccu was sponsored by Gary's Luggage Shop. See in the pictures that my backpack is emblazoned with the shop logo?'

They have the most interesting spelling of 'capiche' that I've ever seen, though.  :o

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 07:55:35 AM »
It sounds like a good idea to Crowdfund scientific or research expeditions.  The problem is that a research expedition that can't get traditional funding is likely to be of very dubious value. 

I'm remembering all the Nutjob expedition ideas connected with Ancient Egypt.  We'd get these several times a year at the library.  It's a good thing that the Egyptian government would quash this sort of thing pretty quickly. 

I'd like to get a lot of information on these research projects and do research of my own before I'd even consider giving a donation.

Good point. I'd be wary of someone who can't get traditional funding, because universities and such can do better vetting than I can.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

shhh its me

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 11:26:03 AM »
It sounds like a good idea to Crowdfund scientific or research expeditions.  The problem is that a research expedition that can't get traditional funding is likely to be of very dubious value. 

I'm remembering all the Nutjob expedition ideas connected with Ancient Egypt.  We'd get these several times a year at the library.  It's a good thing that the Egyptian government would quash this sort of thing pretty quickly. 

I'd like to get a lot of information on these research projects and do research of my own before I'd even consider giving a donation.

Good point. I'd be wary of someone who can't get traditional funding, because universities and such can do better vetting than I can.
I was sort of picturing simpler things... photographing 20 "family" roses species in northern Europe and recording the story of their  breeding.  Not solving the mystery of the pyramids. 

Editeer

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »
"Why would I want to do that?"

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »
Shortly after I noticed this thread, one of my Facebook friends posted a link to the Trevolta site and seemed all excited about it. I avoided commenting on her post as I last went on vacation in 1999.  ::)
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

jaxsue

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »
I come from a very religious family (FTR, I am not religious or affiliated with any sect). When some of my nieces/nephews were teenagers, they went on mission trips to foreign countries. I'd receive letters asking for contributions. Some of them asked for specific amounts ($50, $100). Interestingly, these were people who'd never sent me a letter for any other purpose - even a TY note for a nice gift! So, I gave once, a very small amount, but not for the subsequent trips.

All that to say, I can just imagine that they'd think this was a fabulous idea.  :P

nuit93

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 04:35:41 PM »
All of these $-begging websites have made me consider starting up a "give me money just because" fund.  Just to see who donates  >:D

NyaChan

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »
"Why would I want to do that?"

This is what I always think when I hear about funding sites - I don't think I am an ungenerous person, but I simply don't get why I should take out my extra money and give it to someone else for non-essentials like vacations.  I can understand needing help with medical treatments or for helping to fulfill a dying wish, basically charitable things, but man, this is so far beyond that.

MissRose

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »
LOL I want someone to finance me to travel to my favorite spots in the world too  >:D.  But I am not going to solicit money to do so!