Author Topic: Should I respond?  (Read 6847 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Should I respond?
« on: October 24, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »
About 6-7 months ago a new system was put in place at work where our voice mail messages automatically goes to our e-mail. I think this is pretty cool.

If a voice mail message is not left, you still get an e-mail notification stating the person's name (intracompany) or phone number for an outside caller.

Two scenarios:

1. There's quite a few times where I'll call somebody or another, get their voice mail, and hang up without leaving a message thinking that I could call somebody else for the answer to my question.

More often then not, it seems, the people I hang up on without leaving a message call me back anyway saying "I see that you called, what's up?"

Me: "Oh, I contacted so-n-so. Question answered, no worries. But thanks for calling back."

2. Today I had a string of meetings so I wasn't at my desk very often in the morning. When I had time to go through my e-mails I saw that there were 2 missed calls from John but no messages were left. A couple of hours later the phone rings, I answer and it's John. We have a good rapport, but this conversation got me to thinking:

John: There you are. I was starting to think that you were ignoring me.

Me (laughing): Yeah, I see that you called a couple of times this morning. What's up?

John: Why didn't you call me back?

Me: You didn't leave a message.

John: But you saw that I called. You should have called me back.

Me: Why should I call you back when you don't leave a message?

John: But I did leave a message. I know how the system works. You got an e-mail . . .

So, with both scenarios above, I'm rather confused. Scenario 1 the person had absolutely no reason to return my non-message call, that's why I hung up without leaving a message. Scenario 2 the person expected that I return his non-message call because, well, the e-mail notification was a message?  ::) ?

Should I respond to non-message voice/e-mails?

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Should I respond?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »
I'd call back and say "Hi John, I saw you tried to get a hold of me earlier, is there something I can help you with?", like you John might've already gotten the answer, but it's still nice to follow up. Which is what I'd assume people are doing when they call you back, making sure you don't still need help. For all they know you're still going through the "who can help me" list.

If my friend calls my cell phone and hangs up with out leaving a message (as they usually do, we aren't big on messages), I call them back. If it's a number I don't know, I don't bother because I figure, wrong number. But if it's someone I know, I call back. Maybe they didn't need a darn thing, maybe it was a butt dial, but it doesn't put me out to call them back so I do.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:12:52 PM »
 Ohhh just like caller ID.   The same thing happens at home with caller ID , people call 1/2 of them expect you to call back at some point because you can see they called 1/2 don't except a call back because they didn't leave a message.   So I have no answer I think peoples opinions will be equally divided except I think you should got with whatevr the majority does in your workplace I don't think either is wrong.

LEMon

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 07:22:49 PM »
Is there a way to clarify what you will do in your voicemail?  "Leave a message if you need me to call you back.  No message, no call." (not worded properly but general intent)

If you don't get a lot of calls, I would probably call back those who call.  If you are swamped with work and calls, I would say to John that "being very busy, you are put in the position of not being able to call back all those who call unless a message is left."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »
To me integrated messaging that shows who called is no different than reviewing the call log on your phone. If I see someone has tried to call several times but didn't leave a message I'll call them back.  If they only called once and didn't leave a message I won't call them back.

I'd just tell John "Sorry, if you con't leave a message, I'll assume you found your answer elsewhere. If you want a call back, please leave a message."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
I just don't get why people who want you to call back won't say, "Call me back." It's not that many seconds!

Promise

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »
It would be rude of me,the caller, to assume that even though I don't leave a message, I expect the receiver of my call to call me back if I didn't leave a message. It makes me look like I think I'm too important to leave a message and that you should be able to read my mind.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »
It would be rude of me,the caller, to assume that even though I don't leave a message, I expect the receiver of my call to call me back if I didn't leave a message. It makes me look like I think I'm too important to leave a message and that you should be able to read my mind.

I agree!

My mobile phone always shows who has called, but if they want a call back they should leave me a message.  If they don't, I assume it wasn't important and they will try again later.   I often don't leave a message, but if so I don't expect a call back.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 06:22:11 AM »
The common factor in both your scenarios is that the other people treated hang-up calls as if a call-back is expected.

If this is your company culture, the best thing to do is roll with it. If you are the one calling, leave a short message: "Oh, you're not in, I'll call Susie instead. No need to call back."

If you are the one receiving the email about the hang-up call, you can either call back, or shoot them a short email, along the lines of "I saw you called. Do we still need to talk?"  I'd go for the call-back if they called more than once. I'd use the email if they called once, hours ago.

Personally, I'm with you, OP. If there's no message, I don't call back every phone number that shows up on my home Caller ID. But if the expectation at work is that an email message with no message is enough to generate a call-back, then you might be fighting a loosing battle to insist that everyone who wants you to call back must leave a message.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:10:21 AM »
It is business so I would call back.  A lot of people nowadays don't leave messages because of caller ID so I always return calls.

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »
I like the suggestion to change your outgoing message to clarify that if they need a call back, to leave a message.

However, I more strongly agree that since it's business, I'd call back. Or at least send an email saying, I see you called, do you still need to chat with me?

With my kids, if they don't leave a message but I see they've called, I usually text them. If it happens with someone at work, I usually IM them. But I do always give some kind of reply to at least acknowledge that I see they've called.

Jones

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »
More than one call is definitely a sign to call back.

However, I am in the camp of calling back anyone whose number I recognize.

gollymolly2

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
I think this comes down to work culture, and it sounds like your work's culture is to call back if the person doesn't leave a voicemail. You could leave messages saying "don't worry about calling back, I have a question I can ask someone else." or you could just risk them calling back - I'm sure that just takes a few seconds.

lowspark

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 09:34:11 AM »
Oh, and regarding the person calling you back when you didn't leave a message... well, then I'd probably start leaving a message. I was calling regarding xyz but since you're not there I will check with Mary instead. Or some such.

But you know, if I received that message, I might (depending on who was calling me and how important xyz was) still go ahead and contact the caller to make sure they got what they needed.

Lynnv

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »
I think this comes down to work culture, and it sounds like your work's culture is to call back if the person doesn't leave a voicemail. You could leave messages saying "don't worry about calling back, I have a question I can ask someone else." or you could just risk them calling back - I'm sure that just takes a few seconds.

I agree.

At home, I am in agreement.  If someone wants to talk to me, they can leave a message.  And if I want to talk to someone, I will leave a message.  However, if the work culture has a different expectation (and it sounds like it does), then adhere to that when you are at work. 

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein