Author Topic: Celebration of Life party  (Read 1716 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Celebration of Life party
« on: October 24, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »
We've  been invited to a party that celebrates a major life changing event for the host. (surviving health crisis)  What does one get as a gift for this type of party?  Or are presents not expected? It feels like I should gift something, I just don't know what. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Celebration of Life party
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »
I don't think you are expected to bring a gift but I think I would give something fun, maybe something for their hobby or maybe even something totally frivolous, if you know them well.  For example, I gave a friend of mine a big bottle of bubbles for a milestone birthday.  It was a big hit.

Or a nice bottle of sparkling wine to toast their return to good health.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sweetonsno

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:08:49 AM »
Nothing says woo to the oot like a nice bottle of wine.

Nothing says "you deserve some relaxation time after dealing with that" like a basket of bath thingies. Or a nice bottle of wine.

Go with something hedonistic that you know they'd like. If said health crisis means that they can't drink alcohol or eat too many chocolates (or otherwise indulge in culinary delights), a treat for the nose or skin is a good choice.

CakeEater

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:48:33 AM »
I suspect that someone who has survived a health crisis really just wants to celebrate their good health with their friends and family. I wouldn't take anything.

lowspark

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 08:36:27 AM »
I wouldn't think anything was expected or required. But I'd probably bring a bottle of wine. Sort of like a host/ess gift anyway. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
If anything, I would take more of a host gift, like flowers, wine, funny book.

For most people I know, I would make a donation to research for the disease - American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, for example. People who would invite me to that kind of thing would appreciate that, although I hear that some wouldn't.

Neither is expected.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
  I don't think a gift is needed but a plant feels appropriate to me.

amylouky

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »
I agree, gifts probably not required but it would be very thoughtful. Maybe an experience gift.. something they haven't been able to do for a while because of their health? Spa day?

cwm

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily think this was a gift-giving party, but if I felt particularly close to the people, I would be tempted to bring something.

Find out something that the host may not have been able to enjoy lately but now can again. Alcohol, chocolate, gift card to a nice restaurant, or some basic at-home spa products would all seem to work to me.

Also, if you're very close with this person you can always do a handmade IOU to go out to dinner, your treat.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 09:45:29 AM »
or maybe a picture of them from the past?

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 01:38:24 AM »
How about a plant? Plants keep growing, just like the person who has survived a health crisis. Or if they have flower gardens, how about some bulbs to plant in the spring?