Author Topic: Halloween Candy Question.  (Read 1501 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Halloween Candy Question.
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »
Tomorrow is our building's Halloween costume parade and ToT for children who live in the building and their friends.

Last year we bought a good supply of decent candy to hand out.  We were going to fly to London a day or two after the event. Unfortunately, Sandy came in and we had to leave several days before the ToT. 

We still have the candy from last year.  I've tried it and it's still perfectly good.  Would it be a problem to offer year old candy to children this year?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Halloween Candy Question.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
If you're absolutely certain the candy has suffered no degradation in quality, it's fine.  Some candy's fine after a year, some gets icky.

Jones

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »
Definitely depends on candy type. I've eaten year old candy canes for example, but some chocolates get white dusty stuff on it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »
The candy in question is good quality chocolate (Ghirardelli squares).  I've tried a few and they're perfectly fine.  There's no bloom and the texture is properly smooth.

I should test one more time, just to be sure. Oh, the hardships of research!  8)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »
I think you need to airmail some of them to us so we can provide an objective test for you. ;D

Otherwise I would think they'd be okay, being individually sealed.
~Lynn2000

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
I think you need to airmail some of them to us so we can provide an objective test for you. ;D

Otherwise I would think they'd be okay, being individually sealed.

That. We need to help you test, you know, just in case some are bad... you really need a team of people helping you with something like this, you know.

Promise

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »
Candy doesn't really go "bad" as in causing one to get sick, it might just change texture. Seriously...have you eaten some of the children's candy offered and you are wondering about Ghirardelli? Where were you when I was a kid!!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
Caramels that are so hard, the kids are likely to break teeth?  Not a good idea.  Ghirardelli chocolate, even year old Ghirardelli chocolate?  I think you are fine.  I'd sample a few more from various places in the package to ensure there is no bloom, though.   ;)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »
Thanks, people.  I'm getting a good laugh out of these responses. 

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:42:48 AM by Thipu1 »

ClaireC79

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
Use the same rule of thumb that you would if donating to a food pantry - is this food something I would be willing to eat? from the sound of it, yes it is (though how do you keep chocolate in your house for a year without eating it?)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 07:06:42 PM »
Some cheap chocolates can have maggots hatch in them after a year or so. I read about it on Consumerist, and then a few months later, it happened to me! Turned me off Hershey, so I stay with Cadbury, Ghirardelli, Lindt and Toblerone for my cheap chocolate needs.

I would go ahead with non-chocolate candy with caveats mentioned above (dry taffy).