Author Topic: Red cupcakes, no velvet please  (Read 646 times)

sweetonsno

Red cupcakes, no velvet please
« on: October 26, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
I'm making some Halloween-themed cupcakes and I want them to be blood red. I love the color of red velvet cupcakes, but I'm really not a fan of the taste.  My concern with a heavy hand of food coloring is that it may impart a flavor as well, and red color can be bitter. Any ideas? Worst case scenario, I'll make the red velvet and just not eat any.

For those curious: http://lily-vanilli.blogspot.com/2011/02/recipe-instructions-for-bleeding-heart.html

Edited due to brain fart.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:36:57 PM by sweetonsno »

Promise

Re: Red cupcakes, no velvet please
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:22:12 PM »
I love the flavor of red velvet cupcakes, but I'm really not a fan of the taste.

This confuses me. Is it that you don't like red food coloring? I didn't know it imparted a flavor.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:29:04 PM »
Wilton does make a 'No taste Red' paste food colouring.  It doesn't colour quite as well as the other reds but that might work for you.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »
  MAybe start with strawberry, cherry or raspberry (already pink)and then add red dye?

To get a bright red in cake you often have to use so much dye it has a taste, trying to get a true black can do the same thing.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
  MAybe start with strawberry, cherry or raspberry (already pink)and then add red dye?

To get a bright red in cake you often have to use so much dye it has a taste, trying to get a true black can do the same thing.

This is a good idea, too.  When making black icing, I was instructed to start with either brown or chocolate icing.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sweetonsno

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:36:39 PM »
I love the flavor of red velvet cupcakes, but I'm really not a fan of the taste.

This confuses me. Is it that you don't like red food coloring? I didn't know it imparted a flavor.

Crud! I meant color, not flavor. I hate the flavor of red velvet cupcakes. And yes, some red food colorings have a distinctly bitter taste to them.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »
A true red velvet cake is a buttermilk based light chocolate cake.  If you want to keep the chocolate flavor, find a recipe that uses cocoa powder and baking soda.  The baking soda will give the cooked cocoa a reddish color.

I second the idea of starting with a box mix of strawberry or raspberry cake.  Instead of using a liquid color, try using a gel color instead. The color is much more concentrated and a little goes a long way without changing the flavor too much.

Bear in mind that "true" colors require lots of pigment and so tend to give a funny taste.  You may want to compensate for that by adding in a bit of extra flavor if you decided to go with a non-chocolate cake.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

sweetonsno

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:25:15 AM »
A true red velvet cake is a buttermilk based light chocolate cake.  If you want to keep the chocolate flavor, find a recipe that uses cocoa powder and baking soda.  The baking soda will give the cooked cocoa a reddish color.

I second the idea of starting with a box mix of strawberry or raspberry cake.  Instead of using a liquid color, try using a gel color instead. The color is much more concentrated and a little goes a long way without changing the flavor too much.

Bear in mind that "true" colors require lots of pigment and so tend to give a funny taste.  You may want to compensate for that by adding in a bit of extra flavor if you decided to go with a non-chocolate cake.

Thank you kindly. I don't particularly like the chocolate taste in red velvet cupcakes. I'm not sure why. I think it's mostly that I'm not a huge fan of chocolate and only want it on occasion, so if I'm going to have chocolate, I want it to be pretty strong.

I'm going to try my luck at a berry or wine recipe. I shall report back.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
Perhaps cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and other spices would cover the taste, as well as having a nice harvest connection.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »
Here's a recipe for an all natural red velvet cake . . . I know you specifically asked for no velvet, but this recipe uses beets for the coloring . . . no artificial color.

http://www.sophistimom.com/red-velvet-cake-all-natural-no-red-dye/

A quote from that site seems to be exactly what you're asking for:

"I wanted to make a red velvet cake without any red food coloring. Though I can handle a little food coloring here and there, the idea of putting in such large amounts into a homemade cake . . . well, I just couldn’t do it."

This recipe does call for 4 Tbs of cocoa but I'm betting you could easily omit that flavor.

jmarvellous

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
Here's a recipe for an all natural red velvet cake . . . I know you specifically asked for no velvet, but this recipe uses beets for the coloring . . . no artificial color.

"I wanted to make a red velvet cake without any red food coloring. Though I can handle a little food coloring here and there, the idea of putting in such large amounts into a homemade cake . . . well, I just couldn’t do it."

This recipe does call for 4 Tbs of cocoa but I'm betting you could easily omit that flavor.

Omitting 4 tbsp. dry ingredients would not be all that simple. There's a chance it might turn out OK if some other dry ingredients were subbed, but it would likely taste like a sweet beet-flavored cake, which isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »

Omitting 4 tbsp. dry ingredients would not be all that simple. There's a chance it might turn out OK if some other dry ingredients were subbed, but it would likely taste like a sweet beet-flavored cake, which isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

Yes the cocoa is there to counteract the flavor of the beets and to add to the red color of the cake after baking
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/