Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Red cupcakes, no velvet please

(1/3) > >>

sweetonsno:
I'm making some Halloween-themed cupcakes and I want them to be blood red. I love the color of red velvet cupcakes, but I'm really not a fan of the taste.  My concern with a heavy hand of food coloring is that it may impart a flavor as well, and red color can be bitter. Any ideas? Worst case scenario, I'll make the red velvet and just not eat any.

For those curious: http://lily-vanilli.blogspot.com/2011/02/recipe-instructions-for-bleeding-heart.html

Edited due to brain fart.

Promise:

--- Quote from: sweetonsno on October 26, 2013, 08:19:16 PM --- I love the flavor of red velvet cupcakes, but I'm really not a fan of the taste.

--- End quote ---

This confuses me. Is it that you don't like red food coloring? I didn't know it imparted a flavor.

Outdoor Girl:
Wilton does make a 'No taste Red' paste food colouring.  It doesn't colour quite as well as the other reds but that might work for you.

shhh its me:
  MAybe start with strawberry, cherry or raspberry (already pink)and then add red dye?

To get a bright red in cake you often have to use so much dye it has a taste, trying to get a true black can do the same thing.

Outdoor Girl:

--- Quote from: shhh its me on October 26, 2013, 08:29:45 PM ---  MAybe start with strawberry, cherry or raspberry (already pink)and then add red dye?

To get a bright red in cake you often have to use so much dye it has a taste, trying to get a true black can do the same thing.

--- End quote ---

This is a good idea, too.  When making black icing, I was instructed to start with either brown or chocolate icing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version