Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Red cupcakes, no velvet please

<< < (3/3)

jmarvellous:

--- Quote from: jpcher on October 27, 2013, 02:30:26 PM ---Here's a recipe for an all natural red velvet cake . . . I know you specifically asked for no velvet, but this recipe uses beets for the coloring . . . no artificial color.

http://www.sophistimom.com/red-velvet-cake-all-natural-no-red-dye/

A quote from that site seems to be exactly what you're asking for:

"I wanted to make a red velvet cake without any red food coloring. Though I can handle a little food coloring here and there, the idea of putting in such large amounts into a homemade cake . . . well, I just couldn’t do it."

This recipe does call for 4 Tbs of cocoa but I'm betting you could easily omit that flavor.

--- End quote ---

Omitting 4 tbsp. dry ingredients would not be all that simple. There's a chance it might turn out OK if some other dry ingredients were subbed, but it would likely taste like a sweet beet-flavored cake, which isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: jmarvellous on October 27, 2013, 02:39:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: jpcher on October 27, 2013, 02:30:26 PM ---Here's a recipe for an all natural red velvet cake . . . I know you specifically asked for no velvet, but this recipe uses beets for the coloring . . . no artificial color.

http://www.sophistimom.com/red-velvet-cake-all-natural-no-red-dye/

A quote from that site seems to be exactly what you're asking for:

"I wanted to make a red velvet cake without any red food coloring. Though I can handle a little food coloring here and there, the idea of putting in such large amounts into a homemade cake . . . well, I just couldn’t do it."

This recipe does call for 4 Tbs of cocoa but I'm betting you could easily omit that flavor.

--- End quote ---

Omitting 4 tbsp. dry ingredients would not be all that simple. There's a chance it might turn out OK if some other dry ingredients were subbed, but it would likely taste like a sweet beet-flavored cake, which isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea.

--- End quote ---

Yes the cocoa is there to counteract the flavor of the beets and to add to the red color of the cake after baking

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version