Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Red cupcakes, no velvet please

<< < (2/3) > >>

sweetonsno:

--- Quote from: Promise on October 26, 2013, 08:22:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: sweetonsno on October 26, 2013, 08:19:16 PM --- I love the flavor of red velvet cupcakes, but I'm really not a fan of the taste.

--- End quote ---

This confuses me. Is it that you don't like red food coloring? I didn't know it imparted a flavor.

--- End quote ---

Crud! I meant color, not flavor. I hate the flavor of red velvet cupcakes. And yes, some red food colorings have a distinctly bitter taste to them.

PastryGoddess:
A true red velvet cake is a buttermilk based light chocolate cake.  If you want to keep the chocolate flavor, find a recipe that uses cocoa powder and baking soda.  The baking soda will give the cooked cocoa a reddish color.

I second the idea of starting with a box mix of strawberry or raspberry cake.  Instead of using a liquid color, try using a gel color instead. The color is much more concentrated and a little goes a long way without changing the flavor too much.

Bear in mind that "true" colors require lots of pigment and so tend to give a funny taste.  You may want to compensate for that by adding in a bit of extra flavor if you decided to go with a non-chocolate cake.

sweetonsno:

--- Quote from: PastryGoddess on October 27, 2013, 12:30:37 AM ---A true red velvet cake is a buttermilk based light chocolate cake.  If you want to keep the chocolate flavor, find a recipe that uses cocoa powder and baking soda.  The baking soda will give the cooked cocoa a reddish color.

I second the idea of starting with a box mix of strawberry or raspberry cake.  Instead of using a liquid color, try using a gel color instead. The color is much more concentrated and a little goes a long way without changing the flavor too much.

Bear in mind that "true" colors require lots of pigment and so tend to give a funny taste.  You may want to compensate for that by adding in a bit of extra flavor if you decided to go with a non-chocolate cake.

--- End quote ---

Thank you kindly. I don't particularly like the chocolate taste in red velvet cupcakes. I'm not sure why. I think it's mostly that I'm not a huge fan of chocolate and only want it on occasion, so if I'm going to have chocolate, I want it to be pretty strong.

I'm going to try my luck at a berry or wine recipe. I shall report back.

lady_disdain:
Perhaps cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and other spices would cover the taste, as well as having a nice harvest connection.

jpcher:
Here's a recipe for an all natural red velvet cake . . . I know you specifically asked for no velvet, but this recipe uses beets for the coloring . . . no artificial color.

http://www.sophistimom.com/red-velvet-cake-all-natural-no-red-dye/

A quote from that site seems to be exactly what you're asking for:

"I wanted to make a red velvet cake without any red food coloring. Though I can handle a little food coloring here and there, the idea of putting in such large amounts into a homemade cake . . . well, I just couldn’t do it."

This recipe does call for 4 Tbs of cocoa but I'm betting you could easily omit that flavor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version