Author Topic: Was this insulting?  (Read 7330 times)

English1

Was this insulting?
« on: October 28, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »
In UK - we had our big storm this morning, lots of 'don't travel' warnings. I am a manager and texted my team at 6.30am (mid-big-storm) with this:

'Be safe this morning, don't drive if too dangerous. I'll be in the office 9am and hope to see you later when it's died down.'

Just heard someone complaining about my text treating them like children and am I going to tell them to tie their shoe-laces next.

I was just trying to be a caring manager and make sure no one took any risks trying to get in on time, I wanted to let them know it was ok to be late. Did I just insult their intelligence instead?

(I'm feeling a bit hurt right now  :-[ I was only trying to be nice.)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Was this insulting?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
You were fine.  Did complainer perhaps miss your text and not take advantage of getting a bit of a leisurely morning?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »
No, you weren't and what you did was exactly the right thing to do.

NE England

MrTango

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:41:17 AM »
No, you weren't and what you did was exactly the right thing to do.

I completely agree.  If I got that text from my manager, I would feel far less stressed about being late for work due to the weather.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »
I am not sure if they were thinking:

1) There is a big storm and there were don't travel warnings.  So therefore I won't be traveling.  Why do you need to tell me this?

2) Don't travel warnings are for babies. Of course I am coming in.

3) No way I am going to risk my safety for work. Why would you think I would even want to come in?

Of course normal people would think: "Good, it looked a bit dangerous out there.  I will leave later and my boss won't have any issues with that."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »
I think your email was great. You needed to tell people that, as their manager, you would not place "getting to work on time / at all" over their safety.

There are plenty of people who might need that reminder, if they've had bosses that demanded they come in to the office in the middle of something dangerous.

Not every group email can be tailored for every person, so try to get a thicker skin. And feel free to say that ("not every group email can be tailored to every person's communication style") to the person who complained.

And the person who complained? I bet if you think about it a minute, you'll realize this person is generally a complainer, and you should just almost always subtract about 80% of the "oomph" from anything they say.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »
You were fine. They sound like a natural complainer.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 09:50:22 AM »
Is 9AM your usual start time? It seems to me like you were saying that you would be in the office at the normal time, but that they could come later if needed. If so, that can come off as a bit patronizing.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
I thought your message was fine.  And the message was: I will not penalize you for being late, a message that had to come from you.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Pen^2

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »
I would find such a message a strong reason to stay working with such a manager. You were more than fine.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »
I would find such a message a strong reason to stay working with such a manager. You were more than fine.

Years ago I received a similar message when our area received a two-foot dump of snow on a Sunday evening.  This was before email and the manager took the trouble to phone a dozen people.  I wouldn't have attempted to go in on Monday anyway but thought the manager was very thoughtful. 

dawbs

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »
The complainer is awfully lucky to be working in a position where they can take it for granted that bad weather = able to come in late.
A lot of us don't have that privilege--or even if we do, we're used to jobs where that hasn't been the case, so we don't assume that level of flexibility.

You were fine, OP.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »
Is 9AM your usual start time? It seems to me like you were saying that you would be in the office at the normal time, but that they could come later if needed. If so, that can come off as a bit patronizing.

To me it would seem like really good managing. The op was "holding down the fort." Which is just what managers should be doing, when possible, in a situation like this.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »
I think you were fine.  The warning said "don't travel unless it is necessary" and I have had bosses who think getting to work does make it necessary to risk serious injury!  I'd have appreciated a message like that, and I expect it saved you from being inundated with calls from employees who wanted to ask what your expectations were.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »

To me it would seem like really good managing. The op was "holding down the fort." Which is just what managers should be doing, when possible, in a situation like this.

It's also important for her workers to know what HER plans are, and where SHE can be reached and when. What if they can't get out, bcs a tree fell, etc., but they want to tell her about something important that was supposed to happen in the a.m.