Author Topic: Was this insulting?  (Read 7487 times)

nuit93

Re: Was this insulting?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »
I think you are a great manager.  I know many people (including myself) who have had managers tell us "you be in on time no matter what or ELSE!", so knowing that our safety is important is a good thing.

doodlemor

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »
 You were fine.

I think that Cranky Employee wanted you to shut down entirely for the day, and was disappointed when she opened your email and found out that work was only delayed.

Goosey

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »
I would have left off this part:

Be safe this morning, don't drive if too dangerous.

Because it does sound like you're lecturing a bit.

The message was nice, the presentation could have been better. "I will be in the office by 0900. If it's unsafe to drive, please just come in when you can - coming in late is not an issue today."

Only me

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
HI

Ok I work for a a largish multi national company and this is common practice among both work teams adn the company itself.
Ex. We had major rain and flooding in the area about 3 months ago. Our company sent email to VP's and Director levels to let them know that the building was closed and my director and manager both sent out the notices to our whole team, lettign us know the update and not to bother coming in and WFH if we could.

I think as a manager its a great thing to do, as 90% of my team has smartphones to check their corporate email. I think that you might address the situation in a team meeting stating that 1) You sent the email and this is why 2) you're going to do this in future as much as possible so other know. 3) Tell them just to assume that in bad weather this is the policy/let you know if they are going to be late.

Onlyme

Mrs. Tilney

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »
I frequently get similar emails from my manager or department director when the weather is bad, or looks to be bad. Frequently, the afternoon before an anticipated storm, we get an email that basically says that it looks like it may be rough, so don't try to travel if the roads are bad--we have the option to telecommute or come in late

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »
you did fine. mr/ms complainer don't know what it's like to work for a boss who *doesn't* care (yes, i'm looking at you, Former Boss, who thought it was ridiculous that I was telling her that the snow was piled high and buses weren't working and i can't walk in the snow... ::))

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »
You did just fine.  Grumpy pants would have been grumpy no matter what you said.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
No, you weren't and what you did was exactly the right thing to do.

I completely agree.  If I got that text from my manager, I would feel far less stressed about being late for work due to the weather.

I concur, and messages like that are quite routine in my office, when winter weather passes through, along with the canned messages from the offices of higher-ups reminding us to stay safe, and what the office inclement weather procedures are.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »
I would find such a message a strong reason to stay working with such a manager. You were more than fine.
Agreed. Given the circumstances, it would be a relief to receive the message just as confirmation it was OK to be late or not come in. (Between floods and trees on railway lines, there's no transport in our area at the moment.)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 06:39:46 PM »
Is 9AM your usual start time? It seems to me like you were saying that you would be in the office at the normal time, but that they could come later if needed. If so, that can come off as a bit patronizing.

How is it possibly patronizing for a manager to say "it's bad out there, don't sweat coming in on time"? There are many, many (MANY) managers who would take the opposite position: "I'm going to be in at 9, so a force 8 storm shouldn't stop you. If you're late, you're docked."

I could see how OP's message could come off as a bit patronizing  to an employee who "is a bit 'difficult' in several ways."

As in "I'm an adult, here, Boss doesn't need to tell me to be careful. I know how to drive in bad weather. If Boss can be here by 9, so can I. Who is Boss to tell me I should come in later? What? Does she think I'm a wuss?"

But that's from a 'difficult' employee's point of view . . . one who didn't really appreciate what Boss was actually saying . . . Like JoyinVirginia said, "Grumpy pants would have been grumpy no matter what you said."

OP -- I think your wording and thoughtfulness to your team was spot on.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »

I've been thinking about this all day, and I think you were just fine. On first read I couldn't tell you were telling people it was ok to be late, but that was me, not your message :)   I guess I can understand people feeling lectured...maybe? As someone who lived in a rural area where we were lucky to see a plow ever, I was usually on the other end of that, being asked why I couldn't make it in when others - who lived in "town" and had public transportation to rely on - made it on time and everything. But yeah, I think you are 100% good.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Steve

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 11:20:17 AM »
I will go against the grain here a bit. I do not find the message that bad, but the tone is a bit patronizing to me.

Now, if I knew the manager in question, and this manager usually has this informal way of communicating to staff, I would give her a pass. It 't the thought that counts and all.

But from some-one I do not know well, this message would rub me the wrong way too. I myself would chose a more formal style of message, for instance:
"Due to the weather the normal office-hours will be more flexible tomorrow."

I do not mean to imply that this is better, and I am sure this makes me come across as cold and uncaring to some.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »
The tone could be patronizing--or it could be more of a wish or "prayer"--"be safe."

And you know what? I think it's important to forgive people for tone in an email.

TOLady

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
I would have loved to get messages like this from my managers. You did well. :)

I concur! I have a number of upper management that live closer than I, and some that live farther.

During emergencies - weather wise - we are expected to check in via phone or computer, to see the status and see which Manager is in the office and see who might be able to get in according to distance and if it is completely necessary.

I, myself, can work quite well from home, but am close enough, that if necessary, can come in and cover for those that need immediate assistance.

Well done on you!

cwm

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
The tone could be patronizing--or it could be more of a wish or "prayer"--"be safe."

And you know what? I think it's important to forgive people for tone in an email.

Agreed. Also, from the OP, it was a text, not an email, which is even more informal.