Author Topic: Was this insulting?  (Read 8204 times)

katycoo

Re: Was this insulting?
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »
Personally, I would see it as unnecessary - but then I work in an office where my start time is not vital.  I am expected to be at work with sufficient time to prepare for whatever is scheduled that day, but if I'm a bit late and this doesn't affect my days work, and I make up the time at the other end or whenever, its fine.

In this event, I would just tell work I was late.  I was once caught on a train when there was a power issue.  I told my boss where I was stuck and he tried to find an alternative option for me but couldn't within reason.  It was what it was.

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2013, 07:00:18 AM »
I'm in the UK too and received a message on Monday from work - but not one that was as clear as yours. We were just told not to take any unnecessary risks. I was supposed to be driving to a meeting for 8.30 am (unusually as I usually get the train but I had to get to another office which was only accessible by driving). That was pretty much when the storm hit my area full force. All my local train lines were suspended all day. I really really didn't like the look of the wind and driving in it, but there was nothing technically stopping me from leaving. I ended up emailing my manager and saying basically that and asking if I could dial into the meeting and work from home (I have the type of job where it is completly possible for me to remote in and work from anywhere (barring physical meetings). He was fine with it, but i wish the message from on high had been clearer. I was very glad I didn't go in the end as shortly thereafter some very large trees fell on my road and I would have been in danger of getting squished if I had attempted the drive.

Sorry, that was long, but the up shot is I think you did good.

scotcat60

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
Not insulting at all.

Strangely, some people do manage to miss such things as bad waether warnings. My then boss slept through the Great Storm of 1987 in the UK, had no problems driving  to work, and did not find out til later what had happened. I meanwhile was stuck in South East London, after a sleepless night due to the noise, with no electricity, no phone, (texting had not been invented) and no public transport, and trees blocking roads. Bosslady realised why I could not make it, but there are some, employees as well as bosses, who do the "I got here through 20 foot snowdrifts, so why couldn't you?"

Jocelyn

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »
Having worked at places where I was told that having injured myself at work was not a good enough reason for calling in sick for the next day, at places where NO excuse was good enough for lateness, or at places where no weather was ever severe enough that one was justified in calling in....yes, I would appreciate such a message.
For those who've always worked with kindly, supportive managers who trusted their workers to use good judgment, and believed them when they said the weather was too bad, it might seem unnecessary. ::)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 12:04:16 AM »
As someone who worked for a boss who expected us to come to work during an ice storm (on a bus with an 8 month old baby no less), 2 days after a massive blizzard that dropped over 2' of snow that was not cleared from the roads yet, and during a major flood, I would have appreciated this to let me know it was ok if I was having trouble getting in and that boss would hold down the fort instead of expecting the peons to come do it.  I think the complainer needs to keep those thoughts in their head and learn to appreciate the fact they were told what the game plan was instead of "If I can get in, you can get in" (BTW..my ex boss drove a 4 wheel drive truck, the rest of us took busses and came longer distances and we STILL made it before her!!!!)