Author Topic: Help No fat no cholesteral diet recipes  (Read 799 times)

4children

Help No fat no cholesteral diet recipes
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »
 :'( I need recipe help. Today I was told I have to go on a no fat no cholesteral low carb diet. I am lost...do I just eat raw veggies and fruit? Hopefully you guys with the great cooking skills can help my lacking skills.
I would be ever grateful for any suggestions.......

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Help No fat no cholesteral diet recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »
I think you need to contact whoever told you no fat, no cholesterol and clarify.  That's almost impossible to manage.  Plus, you always need some fat - it is vital in some of the body's processes.

No cholesterol would mean going with a vegan diet, because eggs and cheese will have animal fat in them.  And that is going to be very hard to manage for an omnivore without some help from a nutritionist or dietician.  Can you see if you can make an appointment with one?

Low fat and cholesterol is a little easier to manage.  Stay away from red meats, trim any visible fat and skin from any other cuts of meat, use a spritzer or oil spray rather than a tsp or tbsp of oil in a pan, that kind of thing.  Lots of veggies, particularly green leafys, no added butter or margerine in the cooking process.  Spices are your friend here.  You can start with prepared ones like Mrs. Dash that are no/low sodium and then make your own mixtures from there.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jmarvellous

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »
I second the advice to revisit your doctor and/or a dietician. NO fat is not realistic or healthy under almost any circumstance.

Fruits, vegetables and low-fat proteins are your friends, but please do clarify your diet before you actually seek to have zero fats of any kind in your diet.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »
I think you need to ask to speak to a nutritionist. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what type of protein you would consume if you can't have carbs or fat. Kale and spinach have some protein but also some carbs. Legumes are great source of protein but very high in carbs. Textured Vegetable Protein is no fat and high protein but has carbs.

Who told you this without giving you some type of diet plan?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
even eating "just" fruit and veg is not going to be low carb.

who told you to go on this diet? was it a doctor?

I nth the suggestion to have this clarified and then speak to a dietician.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

4children

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »
Yep that's what the doctor ordered. I understand why.  No fat, not even a little olive oil. No meat products at all. No bread. Etc... I never thought about a Nutritionist.  I am just kind of in a panic about what to cook.

I already cook low fat for my family. I am boggling as to no fat. It is only for 4 months (maybe). 

I sorted out tonight with a plain baked potatoe and steamed broccoli.  Hopefully I can stick to this diet.

Thanks for your responses.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
The potato would be fairly high in carbs, I think.

I'd get yourself to a nutritionist/dietician and buy yourself a vegan cookbook or three.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Jones

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »
We had a scare when my husband was told something similar recently and tried to refuse to eat anything. I politely and angrily phoned the clinic and demanded more information. Turned out he could still eat meats, carbs and sugars, just had to actually measure them and keep within certain numbers in his day. Definitely get more info or a second opinion, what you are asking is not sustainable in the long term.

jmarvellous

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
Yeah, a baked potato is basically just carbs.

I think you're stuck to salads with vinegar dressing and herbs, fresh fruit.

If you literally cannot have any fat, that means no avocados, no nuts, no prepared foods of any kind including any baked goods.

Anything cooked will have to be steamed or sprouted or toasted.

Please, do try a dietician or nutritionist.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »
Yep that's what the doctor ordered. I understand why.  No fat, not even a little olive oil. No meat products at all. No bread. Etc...

That's where I would have told the doc to actually give me suggestions or possibly even a meal plan. And to really clarify what "no fat" actually means in your case. It's pretty much impossible to be totally fat free as a lot of healthy foods contain small amounts of fat.

I really would have asked for fairly lengthy lists of which foods are OK and which are not.

And the baked potato is not exactly low carb...

4children

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »
See that's why I asked for help. Totally didnt think the potatoe through. She gave me some guidelines. Rellace meat with beans. They have a more complex carbohydrate.  Make kale my new best friend. I have never eaten kale. Keep simple carbs low...only get those from fresh fruit. Eat tofu. Avoid nuts. Avoid starch. (There goes the potato. ) I just don't know how to cook whats left,  which pretty much leaves me with everything raw.
Glad to see people as stumped as I am on the cooking part.

Just to reiterate,  she was clear on all the dos and don'ts. Just not clear on how to cook in those guidelines. Oh well I will figure something out. Maybe this problem will eventually go away.

Thanks again! I will look into a Nutritionist tomorrow. 

BigBadBetty

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
I think no fat, no cholesterol, low-carb would be pretty hard. I've gotten low-fat, no oil, low-refined carb, vegan recipes. Would that help? I ordered a meal plan from Happy Herbivore. The meals are easy...not too many ingredients. You may want to try a week to see if would work for you. She also has some free recipes on her site.

https://www.getmealplans.com/

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »
I had a friend who had a liver condition that put her on a restrictive diet of low carb, low fat and low protein. It was very tough but they gave her a list of foods she could eat.

All leafy greens
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Mushrooms
Asparagus
Cucumbers
Bean sprouts
Bamboo shoots
Brussel sprouts
Zuchinni
Artichokes
Green beans

She was allowed to have oat bran once a week.

Also, sometimes when they say no fat they mean no added fat like an oil or butter. But a small amount of tuna or chicken was ok.

Good luck. I think the nutritionist is your best bet.

sweetonsno

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »
Definitely ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. A nutritionist will be able to help you plan meals and understand your doctor's instructions better. (The doctor is either giving you bad advice or explaining herself very badly... one can't eat low carb and high produce and tofu is not fat free.)

Based on what I understand (legumes, low-fat fruits, and non-starchy vegetables are in, everything else is out), here are some things you can do:
Vegetable-based soups and stews: chili, curried carrot (you can puree it, or any simple soup, to get a creamy texture), bean soup (use lots of fresh herbs to season... a drop of smoke flavoring will help if you're used to tossing in cured pork), tomato soup, minestrone,
Variety salads: slaws, bean salads, marinated vegetables (antipasto style), all of the above
Roasted stuff: root vegetables, stacked dishes, stuffed veggies (yes, it'll be more veggies inside), baked tofu (lots of ways to flavor it)
Wraps: just wrap anything tasty in a collard or cabbage leaf... it adds crunch and you can eat it with your hands

For the kale, I recommend braising. Pull the leaves off the center stem, wash, chop, then cook slowly in water or broth until tender. I like to cook it with garlic and an acid of some sort: tomato and/or balsamic vinegar is nice. You can also blanch it, then add it to soup or another dish.

flickan

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »
I second those who say go to a nutritionist and get a second opinion as well.

no fat, moderate carb, I understand

high fat, low carb, i understand

but no fat plus low carb?  You aren't getting enough to burn.  That's an impossible diet to keep up long term unless there are certain foods that you can stock up on or certain exceptions.

You should be given a list of foods to start with and learn how to build up from there.

Also, spices will be your best friend.